Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I thought I'd share this with 24 hr members.

This year marks my old center console 1910 Trophy Bayliner's 40th year. The time sure flied by! When I purchased the boat in 1984, I had Tucson Marine switch the Force engine that was part of the original package with a 115 V-4 Yamaha 2 stroke instead.

I removed the large stainless tubing around the front and windshield. Added a trolling motor. Redesigned the dash using teak and had a shorter angled windshield fabricated. I also have a pair of downriggers I machined myself, you can see the bases in the two rear corners.

While I am on trolling motor # 5 the engine just keeps on going. I attribute its long life to using Yamaha products exclusively. 2 stroke oil, ring free and gas treatment.

The best accessory was the Bennett trim tabs. I have been in some nasty chop and big waves in Lake Ontario, Elephant Butte Reservoir, Lake Powell and the Sea of Cortez to mention a few and those trim tabs made a huge difference.

I have had several butt seats over the years. Most seats were pieces of junk only lasting a few seasons. I discovered that a drummer's throne seat made by Tama is THE seat. It is molded to conform to the body and uses very dense foam. I had it upholstered with convertible top material which has lasted many seasons.

This year I decided to add hydraulic steering. I did some research and it will neutralize torque steer. I suppose it could leak but never again will I encounter the resistance and slop that the original Morse rack and pinion push/pull cable system had. (had two)

I will begin the fishing season next week at the only waters I fish anymore, Roosevelt Lake Az. I use lures and am happy to have ANY kind of fish on the end of the line. While it is mostly largemouth and a few smallmouth bass, there are channel cats, flathead cats, crappie and even carp that could be caught. It is all about the action for me.

Have had my GWPs on board for over 35 years. The dogs have a great time and add to the fun. I have a tiny teak boarding platform for them.

A few pics:
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
That's awesome!! I could very easily enjoy a boat of that type!

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Center console is very practical. And small boats are the most fun.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
nice, i am on year 28 with mine .

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
That is a beautiful, functional boat !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the compliments everyone.

I saw one on Lake Powell with the name Master Charge. I was running a 16' Lowe modified V and was getting hammered by the waves. When I got back to Tucson I traded it in on this center console with a deep V. It has what Bayliner calls a sequential lift hull. The rear portion is sometimes referred to as a delta design.

Yes a good size, easily trailered too.

It was large enough to withstand the worst waves thunderstorms created at Lake Powell yet small enough to visit the narrow side canyons.

another pic the boat at Roosevelt Lake near Windy Hill

Last edited by Azshooter; 04/03/24.
Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Very cool 👍

I'm only on year 7 with my current boat. It's not nearly that big or fancy, but it's the only one I've ever bought brand new, so I hope it lasts me 40 😂

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I had a Grumman Aluminum I used for 36 years. I was on the 4th outboard and 3rd trolling motor.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mine is a 1996 Nitro 884 Savage with Mercury 150efi, motor is still strong I use Ring Free & Stabil religiously.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Riverc: smart move with the ring free. This product is a good preventative against carbon buildup in both 2 and 4 stroke engines.

https://yamahaoutboards.com/owner-center/videos/care-maintenance/ring-free

Forgot to add that the hull has a keel guard. That is another great addition for any fiberglass boat. As seen in first picture, I often beach it and so far there are no scratches on the keel. One time I had to beach it on the concrete launch ramp. No damage there either.

Last edited by Azshooter; 04/04/24.
IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
40 year old motor still running. Says alot for Yamaha

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Azshooter
Riverc: smart move with the ring free. This product is a good preventative against carbon buildup in both 2 and 4 stroke engines.

https://yamahaoutboards.com/owner-center/videos/care-maintenance/ring-free

Forgot to add that the hull has a keel guard. That is another great addition for any fiberglass boat. As seen in first picture, I often beach it and so far there are no scratches on the keel. One time I had to beach it on the concrete launch ramp. No damage there either.
The Keel Guard is a good add on, keep saying I'm going to add one but haven't done so yet. Your boat looks good. The crazy prices for new & used boats these days will run mine till it dies.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
That is super cool. I love that boat and history!

I'm on year 17 with my Ranger and Yamaha. Thinking about a new one but this keeps me centered!

I got a keel guard on my boat also, its been a good add and I would think standard issue on a fiberglass boat

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
" I swapped out the Force outboard for a Yamaha" . Good move. The Force were not the best, and even when Merc made them, I think they were second fiddle.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
48 years on this one. More maintenance on the trailer than the boat. Still using the original Smoker oars.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I do have a tougher time though running upriver.

1Minute
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Great thread & some really fine pictures. 40 years is a long time to own the same boat but you can sure see you take good care of it. Just about a month ago I sold my boat I bought with my dad in April of 1994, so a couple months short of 30 years. It was a 17' Duckworth welded aluminum boat pretty popular style around my area. Had a lot of great memories in that boat but finally decided it was time to get something a bit bigger, I doubt I'll get 30 out of the new one but excited to get out fishing.

Good stuff - thanks for posting!

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I knocked the lower units off mine is why I had to change motors. Lower unit cost more than a late model used motor did.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bought it new from the factory in St Peter in 1976 and it has thousands of road miles on it fishing, hunting and trapping

A couple years ago I upgraded it to a surface drive, last summer added a shooting deck and rail for shooting carp.

Last edited by erich; 04/06/24.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice power train there!

1Minute
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great photos, cool boat. Thanks for sharing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

612 members (160user, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 2003and2013, 61 invisible), 2,561 guests, and 1,175 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,791
Posts18,477,334
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.