Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
How have they held up in field use? Eileen and I have three RF binoculars of other makes right now, but I am thinking about a Sig, for various reasons.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
I can't speak for "longevity", but they range better than anything I have ever owned.

They will get a range, on a 10" steel target, at 1000 yards effortlessly. My 2x pair of Leica RF's have trouble on small steel targets after around 500 yards.

Last edited by REDGUN; 04/03/24.
M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I have experienced that with Sig RF binoculars owned by friends. But have an original Bushnell RF binocular made in 2012 that ranges out to 1500+ yards even on less "cooperative" targets than steel. Am more interested in the overall ruggedness of the Sigs--but also recognize they offer a lot of different models.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I've had the kilo6 8x32 model for over 2 years.

They have either been in my truck, the farm SxS, or around my neck all of that time.

They have been all I've used for big game through the fall, turkeys in the spring, and predators/varmints the rest of the year.

The still function as well as the day I got them. 2 years isn't a really long time but I've been very impressed with them.

M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Thanks very much for the reply. That's one of the models I've been considering, because all our other LRF binoculars are 10x with objectives around 40-42mm, so tend to be fairly heavy.

John Steinbeck
IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
That's why I got the 8x32s. mMy other RF binos are 10x geovids, which I love, but they are a lot bigger and heavier than the sigs.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I bought the black 10x kilo6s last year that eurooptic has on sale for $799. I love them and they held up great during several days of deer and elk hunting. I spent a lot of years using minox 8.5x43 hg aspericals and a Leica 1600 rangefinder.

I didn't mis the Leica rangefinder one bit because the kilo6 ranging is vastly superior. I sometimes missed using my minox hgs because I've spent a lot of time glossing with them over the years.

The kilo6 10x are heavier but it's worth not having to carry separate binos and rangefinders and having 2 straps getting tangled. It's so nice to be able to glass and range in one unit and it gets you ready to shoot quicker.

I just got a sig cross with a sig 4-14 box scope so I'll have to decide if I want to link it to my kilo 6s to play with. We can't legally hunt with bdx scopes in Idaho so I may just sell the scope.

Bb

O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
Tag. I'm in the market.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I played with my buddy's and we are both underwhelmed by the image quality.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I hunt and guide with our pair or 10X BDX capable ones. The visual quality is not there. But the fact they range so easily and dump that data into a scope dot OR give me data to give my client for a shot is the main reason.

There is the fact I really don't need anymore visual quality than they give though helps. At least for what I guide for and the clients I have.

Talked to the national champ PRS? Shooter this past fall on a bear hunt. I asked him if there was anything new. He said even the newest sigs BDX capable still didn't have great optics. So before we upgrade and leave the first pair in TX I"m waiting sig out.

It seems so simple... use the technology there. and put it in great glass.... And while at it give it a compass feature so clients and I could talk direction on game rather than over by that bush...

I use them often enough for longer stalks on bedded moose. Compass bearing off phone. Distance with binocs. Back bearing and all... and have walked to the moose /beds at up to about 2500 yards so far.

Ah yes. How have they held up. Has to be 4 years of guide abuse in rain, snow, heat, backpacks, blood, super cubs, salt, fresh.. etc... and still fine. I think the Sig emblem came off pretty quickly though. And edited to ad I did not speak about ability. With the BDX scope and tweaked its easy hits to 600ish... seems I have a lack of targets from there to the max of 800. But can swap it for the MOA drop dots and I do have a nice 12x18 inch appx rock at 1031 yards that we dust quite regular if the wind is manageable with those dots. Have not quite mastered hits out past that really well but have played out to 1700 with it and have a coyote a bit over 1100 with the dots and a javelina within a few yards of that also. 6.5 creed moor so its not quite the best for the stuff past 1000 anyway IMHO. Simply an FYI

Last edited by rost495; 04/08/24. Reason: noted

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
...underwhelmed by the image quality.
That has also been my experience.
Plus the weight difference from the Sig 8x32 versus something like the Meopta Optika LR is not terribly substantial, at 6.5 ounces. And the Meopta blew the Sig out of the water optically.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
swarovski, or used leica, it really depends on which leica you're talking about. leica has been making RF's for 25 years or more. the newer stuff works way more better.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
swarovski, or used leica, it really depends on which leica you're talking about. leica has been making RF's for 25 years or more. the newer stuff works way more better.
It ties to their Leica scopes to provide wind and drop data out to 1000 yards right?

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Thank Jeff--and all the rest of the folks who answered.

One of the RF binoculars we have is my Bushnell 10x40, the original model, which they sent me to review back then. The optics aren't great either, but the very first day I tested it ranged various "soft" targets in bright sunlight (not the ideal condition for laser RFs) out to 1600 yards. It still does, and is still in collimation after plenty of use. Might just stick with it given the comments about Sig optics, but will also probably take it to a local store that carries Sig RF binoculars and make a direct comparison....

John Steinbeck
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I blew my original set up, in a maritime event. Fhuqking LAUGHING! Hint.

They eclipsed my Geovids. Hint.

Just sayin'....................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
LRF-Wise, the sigs make my geovids look sick. The glass is definitely a lot better in the leicas though.

That being said the glass in my 8x32 sigs is plenty serviceable for my needs

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
If you don't have to have ballistic hold readouts, the GPO Rangeguide is the best combo of RF and optics of anything I've tried, including Leica, Sig, Vortex.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dude270
LRF-Wise, the sigs make my geovids look sick. The glass is definitely a lot better in the leicas though.

What are the distance ratings of the Sig and Geovid you're comparing?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Pard of mine who is a Guide LEGEND,was trying to keep The Leeker's Faith as I gave ranges/comeups from the front seat of my crummy through said windshield. He stood SCREAMING outboard same,trying to get his Geovids to correlate same,as I laughed my kchunt off. Hint.

Fog,fresh falling snow are all a Leeker bane. BT/DT. The Sig's simply dig through environmental road blocks and connect dots fhuqking amazingly. My Geovid's ride the pine and the Sig CRUSHES them in all regards. Hint.

Just sayin'................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by Dude270

What are the distance ratings of the Sig and Geovid you're comparing?

Jordan,

It may not be a fair comparison because my sigs are 6k rated and my leicas are 2k. I notice a difference a lot closer though.

The leicas do well in good conditions out to 900-1000 yards for me, though they are noticeably slower than the sigs. Past 1k the sigs pull away.

The big difference I see is that the sigs are a lot better in bad conditions, as Stick said. A foggy or hazy day really makes the sigs stand out to me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (1_deuce, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1234, 12344mag, 1OntarioJim, 52 invisible), 2,274 guests, and 1,314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,135
Posts18,483,942
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.