Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by AU7MM08
I picked up a new/new old stock Meopta Optika6 1-6X24.
It has an illuminated German #4.

This should be perfect.

Czech rifle with a Czech scope in a German caliber with a German scope reticle.

Nope, It's nowhere near "perfect".

It's foolish circus music at best. I've hunted a 550 FS in 9.3x62 over a decade ago, also equipped with a 1-4 30mm scope. Even with medium rings, the drop of the Bavarian stock was fkn retarded couldn't get anywhere near a proper cheek rest. Then the bolt handle on cz's, can't go any lower than medium rings.

VernAK bought the rifle and immediately replaced that stupidity with a B&C stock.

My second CZ 9.3x62, was the kevlar carbine, Also with the B&C stock. It was much better.

That meeopta scope with the ginormous goofy power ring, your medium rings wouldn't clear the fkn bolt handle. So then you go to high rings?!

Just to see through the scope, I'm certain you'd have to rest your cheek bone atop the low height comb, just to see through the fkn scope.

Keep convincing yourself that youre not an inexperienced idiot.......

Last edited by mainer_in_ak; 03/23/24.
GB1

MAC Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I have a 1.5x6 Bausch & Lomb mounted on Leupold QR rings on my 375 H&H and have never found it lacking.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
C
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
C
I found an older gloss VARI-X III 1.5-5x20mm for CZ 500 in 9.3x62. I used the Warne Quick disconnect rings. I had my gunsmith install CZ sights on my 24" standard version. I then saw bolt handle contacting the stock when closed. Make sure your bolt handle is not contacting the stock. It was a common issue on the CZ's. It can cause your stock to be damaged/split when you fire it. I also put the same set scope/rings on my 416 Rigby in CZ 550. No there are no elephants in Maine! Just wanted one. The negative with the Warne rings is the lever for the rings is on the same side as the bolt handle. With the way they work no way of putting the lever on the other side from the bolt handle. Not sure if Talley is better. Everyone wants huge high power scopes putting quality low power scope low on choices. Particularly if you don't want something tactical looking. Good luck!!!!

I walk around like I'm ok, but deep down inside, I wanna buy another gun.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a VX3 HD CDS-ZL 1.5-5 that I bought this past year, was placed in the rings on my 375 (never shot) that I may be swapping over to a VX5 2-10 once I get a different set of rings that are currently in the mail somewhere.

Long story short - In the next week or so I may be considering selling it for 425.00 shipped if someone is interested.

No issues with the scope, but will also be using this rifle on some plains game next year and thinking I want a little higher magnification available.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Not a lot of dangerous game here in FL, but I have used a Nikon Monarch African 1-4X with that thick German #4 reticle to take a number of wild hogs. It’s a perfect match for my Marlin 1894 .44 Mag.

Sam......

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by AU7MM08
Looking for some guidance on scope selection.

I’m in the process of purchasing a CZ 550 FS in 9.3X62.
For rings I’m pretty much set on Talley QD rings.

Not sure what scope to go with.
Seems like lower power scopes are $3,000 Swaro Z8s or tall turret LVPOs intended for AR15s

What mid price scopes should I be looking at.
1-4 or 1-6 power range and $400-800 is my price range unless there’s a much better option that’s slightly more expensive.

As of right now I’m leaning towards a Leupold VX3HD in 1-4X20

Just read a write-up by Phil Shoemaker in the August 2011 RLN about his .458 brown bear gun. Has to be one of the all-time greatest dangerous game guns. Great read. He has an '80s Leupold 6.5oz 2.5x in low Weavers on that gun.

"One should not talk to a skilled hunter about what is forbidden by the Buddha."

- Hsiang-yen by way of Gary Snyder
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have a 2.5-8 VX3 on mine. Waiting on 30mm rings to mount a Trijicon Credo 1-4, the 2.5-8 will go on it during deer season and serve as back up scope.
I run a 1-4 on my Lott. 200 yards is fine for 4X

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I've got a 2.5-8 vx3 on my 375 ruger still. It worked fine on my plains game hunt in 2008 but I don't trust it for anything dangerous. It's like many leupolds in that a click is almost never really 1/4 moa so sighting in is a bit of a guessing game.

It's one of my last leupolds and it's still on there because I rarely use the 375. I've not found the scope I want to replace it yet. I'm thinking I'd like a 1-6 30mm illuminated reticle lvpo with a more simple ballistic plex type reticle. Something with shorter knobs and not too heavy as in under 20 ounces. I just haven't found one I trust yet.

I'm also looking for a scope for my 358 blr. It's not an expensive scope but I'm interested in the sightron S one 1.75-5x32. It's got a wide fov and decent eyebox and glass. If it'll hold up I think it will make good lever gun glass. I could also use one on my 77/44 ruger and 444p marlin. I'd like to find them on sale again. There were some good prices on the s one but everyone is at full retail now.

I used to like to run weaver classic v7 scopes 2-7x32 on lever actions. I wish the still made the classic v series that were made in Japan, they were light but fairly durable, had decent glass and slim objectives and rings. It's totally redneck but a 2-7x32 v series classic was great with see under rings on my marlin lever 44 mag. The scope wasn't too fat to see under.

If I send the m70 stainless classic I just picked up to jes to become a 9.3x62 I think I'll put a trijicon credo 3-9 on it. I'll probably hunt elk with it so I think a 3-9 is about right for a 9.3. If I was using it mostly for dangerous game I'd use something with a lower top end. I've had hunting situations happen fast up close when my scope was left on higher power. Luckily a few deer surprised me in close over the years when I had a 2-7 vari x II on my 6mm. Even on 7power I was able to make a close running shot a few times but it gets harder above that. It helps that I hunted a lot of rabbits with that 2-7 on a bdl 6mm.

I took a quick shot at a running buck about 5 years ago with my lrhs on 12x and no time to adjust. I got the buck but only because I know that rifle well and got it in the fov as soon as I shouldered it and made the quick shot as it crested a hill.

Bb

Last edited by Burleyboy; 04/04/24.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I just put a Credo 1-4 on my 9.3.
My VX3 will be the back up scope.
I'll see how i like the reticle tomorrow.

NRA Benefactor Member

IC B3

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Had the rifle all pulled apart to Cerakote. Put the bases back on. Torqued them down, installed the Credo with the 30mm rings that came. Checked the scope by looking down the barrel. Seemed pretty close. First shot was 3" low and dead on left to right. Windy as crap today but shot a few groups though it. I think I'll like this scope. MOA groups with a 4X scope and the target shakin& shiverin like a dog chitting bacon, I'm pleased.

NRA Benefactor Member

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 10ring1, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 61 invisible), 2,473 guests, and 1,323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,203
Posts18,485,258
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.