Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by cra1948
Didn’t realize until I saw this thread that GM had gone back to the boneyard of bad ideas to inflict this absurdity on a new generation of true believers. Thought they’d have learned their lesson 40 years ago with their Cadillac “8-6-4” disaster.

When I worked for them in those days, saw how they’d sequentially pull dies off the casting lines to make engineering changes to the product in the middle of a production run, just keep running them, leave the beta testing to the consumer…. Figure you might have several flow patterns in a run of intake manifolds, all the same part number, all the “correct” fit…

That’s when I bought my first Toyota, never looked back.

One of my farm landlords had one of those Cadillacs with the 8-6-4 in it. He thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. Ran the delights out of it and traded it off about 5 years later. Still running when he traded it.

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If the lifters do collapse, my understanding is there are a couple of solutions. The cheap/temporary one is to use a rod ground at a 45 degree angle to ‘uncollapse’ the lifters through an oil passage. The other is to replace the cam and lifters with with ones out of a 6.0 L (I believe). A quick search can confirm the details. Honestly, I wouldn’t worry about it too much. Yes, it happens far more than it should, but the odds are still decent that it won’t be an issue. The disabled is supposed to help by reducing wear that is induced by the lifters collapsing.

I have the 2500 with the 6.6 gas motor. It’s a solid platform, but mileage is pretty bad. 12’ish mixed. It gets better on the highway (speed dependent). 18.5 or so at 60-65, 14.5 or so at 75.

I
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Originally Posted by jackmountain
If you loved her you’d have bought her a Toyota.

This.
Which AWD Toytota is capable of comfortably towing 8000 lbs?
And has the entry step height of the Yukon or lower?
And is available with less than 50,000 miles for $27,000.

I looked for two years.,

With the disabler, I am playing the odds. It is reported that the frequency of valve train failures is lower with the disabler installed. It is pretty cheap insurance.

A lot cheaper than rebuilding the top end and removing the hardware right now, which I did discuss with mechanic. Cam, Lifters, etc, etc.

I have been averaging 15 MPG overall with 91 octane in the vehicle including freeway runs at 85 mph, and 2 mile hops into town. It will be interesting to see if that changes.

Oil changes? Pennzoil Platinum, Mobile One, or Castrol pure synthetic every 5000 miles.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I wonder how that 6.6 would do if you went with taller gears. I prefer a 1/2 ton because I don't tow but that 6.6 with gears for the highway and not for towing might do ok if a guy doesn't need the low end grunt.

I never thought I'd own a Ford but my 2021 powerboost f150 has been great so far. I mainly bought it because I thought the built in 7.2kwatt generator was cool and the seats were more comfortable for me but it has a ton of power. It out runs my friends 6.2 chevy pretty easily and averages 19 mpg overall over its life. It was supposed to get 24 mpg but I've never seen it get that.

Good news is that gm just invested about a billion dollars to tool up to build a new small block v8. I think they finally realized they wouldn't be able to milk their current ones and turbo 4 until everyone's forced electric. Lets hope the DEI ladies at gm design an awesome new v8.

There's no charging stations where I hunt deer so I'd probably never buy an all electric truck and neither would many guys who actually need a truck.

They realized that people don't buy trucks just because they might have to bring an 86" TV home from Costco some day. It's not just a grocery getter that hauls more groceries. I can just imaging having to haul a generator and several cans of gas with you hunting so you can charge your truck each day of the hunt. That's progressive progress.

Bb

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Tag

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

This.

I looked for two years.,

With the disabler, I am playing the odds. It is reported that the frequency of valve train failures is lower with the disabler installed. It is pretty cheap insurance.

A lot cheaper than rebuilding the top end and removing the hardware right now, which I did discuss with mechanic. Cam, Lifters, etc, etc.

I have been averaging 15 MPG overall with 91 octane in the vehicle including freeway runs at 85 mph, and 2 mile hops into town. It will be interesting to see if that changes.

Oil changes? Pennzoil Platinum, Mobile One, or Castrol pure synthetic every 5000 miles.

I just flat ass won't own another American vehicle until they get their act together. Period. BTDT. Over and over and over. If that's what I had to do, I'd find a way to do it with a Japanese vehicle.

Last edited by local_dirt; 04/03/24.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

This.

I looked for two years.,

I just flat ass won't own another aAmerican vehicle until they get their act together. Period. BTDT. Over and over and over. If that's what I had to do, I'd find a way to do it with a Japanese vehicle.

I believe the Sequoia will tow that but not AWD. IMO - AWD isn't worth the mileage hits compared to simply going 4x4 when extra traction is needed but others might need differently.

Me

I
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I
The Sequoia was on the list of potential candidates.

HP and Torque....slight advantage to GMC

Availabilty within 500 mile shopping range....large advantage to GMC

Six speed auto trans.....draw

4x4 vs AWD....advantage Toyota

Tow capability.....draw

Fuel economy.....draw

Purchase price.....HUGE advantage to GMC

A Sequoya within our budget would have had two to three times the miles on the odometer.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Tow capability.....draw

Fuel economy.....draw

A Sequoya within our budget would have had two to three times the miles on the odometer.

But if it lasts 4x as long....

Me

I
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I
Not a consideration, We will both be dead before this Yukon hits 100K

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

Tow capability.....draw

Fuel economy.....draw

IS, I get it that sometimes the numbers just don't pencil out depending on prices of American or Japanese vehicles. Living where you do I can see why the Chevys and Fords are much cheaper than the Toyotas. Heck, I was stunned by the price of used Tacomas around here. Longevity = high demand. So does the ability to haul stuff.

But, I've got such a bad taste in my mouth from the last 3 American trucks I've owned. Darn near rebuilt all 3 from the ground up. I'm just not going to do that again.

My 4Runner gets babied, for sure. But, the only issue by Toyota was the ac blower motor, and it happened soon enough that it was under the warranty.

I typically keep my vehicles 12 or 13 years. So my penciling has to do with maintenance along that spectrum.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
I
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I
I have a lifetime of experience trying to keep old Toyotas and Chevrolets on the road. I typically buy them at ten to fifteen years with 150 K on the meter, then try to get another 100 K out of them.

Toyota Pickups, about ten since 1982, Toyota Celicas? My first car was a '71 Celica in 1978. There have been about ten more Celicas over the years, but never a FWD.

Also Chevy trucks and cars. From a 65 GMC 305 V6 4x4 3/4 ton bought by my wife and I in '84 and used until '90. Not to mention a '60, a '62, a '64, and a '66 Chevy pickups used on the farm while I was in Jr High and High School. All four were I6 engines w/ 4 speed trannies.

There were numerous cars used for commuting and packing the kids. And finally, the last pickup I will ever own, (barring it gets wrecked, or the US quits selling gasoline) the '01 GMC extended cab Sierra 4x4 2500 HD sitting in the yard with the goose neck hitch and camper tie downs.

In reality, I can not see a nickel's difference in keeping either brand running after 150,000 miles. With one exception.

That being a '99 Chevy S 10 Blazer I bought in 02. That SOB cost me more in repairs the first two years than I paid for the car.

In fifteen years, it went through four fuel pumps. In 03, that was a $600 expense. They got cheaper over time.

It had wire harness issues which cost a small fortune to diagnose. And it went through three transfer cases. But that 4.3 Vortec engine and 4L60 tranny were bullet proof.

But that is matched by a '92 Toyota 4 Runner with the 3.0 V6 and automatic. My daughter and her husband were driving it. It got a pin hole in the radiator. They burned the engine up letting it run out of water.

Okay, that happens. Someone should have fixed the radiator.

Five grand for a new Jasper engine installed. Four years later it started missing. We had to pull the heads and replace the valves. About four years later it started missing again. I sold it quickly and cheap.

If only it had been equipped with the 22RE and a five speed manual, I would still be driving that thing, instead of the Honda Accord sitting outside.

Oh yes. The one new car I purchased in my life. An 82 Toyota pickup w/ 22R engine (carbed) and five speed manual. At 90 days and 12,000 miles the reverse gear broke in the transmission. It had a 12,500 mile warranty, I barely squeaked by on that one. Then I had to replace the clutch disc, cover and flywheel at 180 days and 20,000 miles.

I would be really hard pressed to name one brand over the other in terms of dependability based on fifty years of ownership and use.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Woodsman1991
From conversations with a couple dealership mechanics, the problems with AFM system is most prevalent and almost guaranteed in two cases. Case one, people ignore the factory specification for oil and try to run 15-40 diesel or other higher than spec weights. Case two, people ignore the factory oil change interval. If you're avoiding those two cases then odds are greatly in your favor of not having issues.
I ignore my factory oil change interval and change my oil at 5000 miles.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I have a lifetime of experience trying to keep old Toyotas and Chevrolets on the road. I typically buy them at ten to fifteen years with 150 K on the meter, then try to get another 100 K out of them.

Toyota Pickups, about ten since 1982, Toyota Celicas? My first car was a '71 Celica in 1978. There have been about ten more Celicas over the years, but never a FWD.

Also Chevy trucks and cars. From a 65 GMC 305 V6 4x4 3/4 ton bought by my wife and I in '84 and used until '90. Not to mention a '60, a '62, a '64, and a '66 Chevy pickups used on the farm while I was in Jr High and High School. All four were I6 engines w/ 4 speed trannies.

There were numerous cars used for commuting and packing the kids. And finally, the last pickup I will ever own, (barring it gets wrecked, or the US quits selling gasoline) the '01 GMC extended cab Sierra 4x4 2500 HD sitting in the yard with the goose neck hitch and camper tie downs.

In reality, I can not see a nickel's difference in keeping either brand running after 150,000 miles. With one exception.

That being a '99 Chevy S 10 Blazer I bought in 02. That SOB cost me more in repairs the first two years than I paid for the car.

In fifteen years, it went through four fuel pumps. In 03, that was a $600 expense. They got cheaper over time.

It had wire harness issues which cost a small fortune to diagnose. And it went through three transfer cases. But that 4.3 Vortec engine and 4L60 tranny were bullet proof.

But that is matched by a '92 Toyota 4 Runner with the 3.0 V6 and automatic. My daughter and her husband were driving it. It got a pin hole in the radiator. They burned the engine up letting it run out of water.

Okay, that happens. Someone should have fixed the radiator.

Five grand for a new Jasper engine installed. Four years later it started missing. We had to pull the heads and replace the valves. About four years later it started missing again. I sold it quickly and cheap.

If only it had been equipped with the 22RE and a five speed manual, I would still be driving that thing, instead of the Honda Accord sitting outside.

Oh yes. The one new car I purchased in my life. An 82 Toyota pickup w/ 22R engine (carbed) and five speed manual. At 90 days and 12,000 miles the reverse gear broke in the transmission. It had a 12,500 mile warranty, I barely squeaked by on that one. Then I had to replace the clutch disc, cover and flywheel at 180 days and 20,000 miles.

I would be really hard pressed to name one brand over the other in terms of dependability based on fifty years of ownership and use.

My family's Toyota experience has been completely different from yours.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
I
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I
I do not rate my experience with Toyotas as bad by any means. The 22R and 22RE were a couple of the best engines to ever be built in the world.

It is that my experience with GM is just as good.

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
I do not rate my experience with Toyotas as bad by any means. The 22R and 22RE were a couple of the best engines to ever be built in the world.

I think you’re lying

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by smarquez
Originally Posted by Woodsman1991
From conversations with a couple dealership mechanics, the problems with AFM system is most prevalent and almost guaranteed in two cases. Case one, people ignore the factory specification for oil and try to run 15-40 diesel or other higher than spec weights. Case two, people ignore the factory oil change interval. If you're avoiding those two cases then odds are greatly in your favor of not having issues.
I ignore my factory oil change interval and change my oil at 5000 miles.
If running full synthetic and a good oil filter, when we still tested oil, you could easily run 5000, swap filters, run another 5000 and then full change. Oil was as good as new old Dino oil was at 3000.

I've never seen a related issue and your changing at 5000 certainly won't create an issue either.

OTOH the motors are built and tuned to certain viscosity ranges and we do follow that fairly closely.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
I
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors

I think you’re lying
You are free to think what ever you wish.

That does not change my experience. I have taken plenty of both to 250k - 300K. And then sent plenty of both to the crusher.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by cra1948
Didn’t realize until I saw this thread that GM had gone back to the boneyard of bad ideas to inflict this absurdity on a new generation of true believers. Thought they’d have learned their lesson 40 years ago with their Cadillac “8-6-4” disaster.

When I worked for them in those days, saw how they’d sequentially pull dies off the casting lines to make engineering changes to the product in the middle of a production run, just keep running them, leave the beta testing to the consumer…. Figure you might have several flow patterns in a run of intake manifolds, all the same part number, all the “correct” fit…

That’s when I bought my first Toyota, never looked back.
Continuous Improvement... 😁

Job security for some of us. 😛

K
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
K
I put a range one in my 2014 Suburban after fowling a plug. Never remember any EFI I had do that. My old carbed Blazer yes. I think it has 130 k on it now. Noticed oil consumption went way down too.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

611 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1lessdog, 1Longbow, 70 invisible), 2,289 guests, and 1,198 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,819
Posts18,477,741
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.