Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
listed some for sale in the classifieds.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That oughta do it!
I forget how many #9's per ounce, but an ounce and 3/4 should have about a gazillion!

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by MartinStrummer
That oughta do it!
I forget how many #9's per ounce, but an ounce and 3/4 should have about a gazillion!

I read an article and its less TSS 9's pellets per ounce than lead pellets because its heavier than the lead. (article reference - Bryce towsley in american hunter last march)

On a side note... I see on face book about custom hadloaders getting huge 2 ounce pay loads in 20 gauge and I always wonder what the increased pressure does to the gun, especially semi-autos.

Last edited by humdinger; 04/03/24.

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by humdinger
That oughta do it!

I read an article and its less TSS 9's per ounce than expected because its heavier than the lead.

On a side note... I see on face book about custom hadloaders getting huge 2 ounce pay loads in 20 gauge and I always wonder what the increased pressure does to the gun, especially semi-autos.
my affinity 3 handles the 2 oz BossTom ammo fine. shoots like this at 40 yds
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

If your going through hell, keep on going, don't look back, If your scared don't show it.
You might get out b'fore the devil even knows your there.
(Rodney Atkins)
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
You think it's by weight? And not volume?

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Ridge_Runner
That oughta do it!

I read an article and its less TSS 9's per ounce than expected because its heavier than the lead.

Nice pattern. Gives me faith in my franchi's I own.

What I see on other forums is bulged cases and tough extraction on these really heavy 20 gauge loads. Some primer issues too.

I have more faith in a my wimpy federal 1.5 oz loads were pressure tested over Bubbas stuff her full until something doesnt work right on the test gun.

Having said that, when I burn up my federal, i'm trying APEX.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
That oughta do it!

2oz should do better than that, I can get 325-350 all day w just 1 5/8oz.

Don't gobble at me
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Fullfan
That oughta do it!

keep getting it, no turkey will survive that pattern so if its all right with you will stick with it. ya never know when you may have to shoot one running, gives me room for error.

If your going through hell, keep on going, don't look back, If your scared don't show it.
(Rodney Atkins)
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
That oughta do it!

I read an article and its less TSS 9's pellets per ounce than lead pellets because its heavier than the lead. (article reference - Bryce towsley in american hunter last march)

There are way, way more TSS 9’s than Lead 5’s in a load. TSS is denser shot therefore “heavier than lead”. There are reference charts to show pellet counts out there, but the shot is weighed out to whatever payload is in that load.

I personally don’t shoot over 1-5/8 ounce in a 20 and stay at 2 ounces or less in a 3” 12 gauge hull.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by BrowningGuy88
That oughta do it!

There are way, way more TSS 9’s than Lead 5’s in a load. TSS is denser shot therefore “heavier than lead”. There are reference charts to show pellet counts out there, but the shot is weighed out to whatever payload is in that load.

I personally don’t shoot over 1-5/8 ounce in a 20 and stay at 2 ounces or less in a 3” 12 gauge hull.

Check your math.

If they they weigh the shot load they put in for TSS and the TSS pellets are almost 2X heavier, it takes a lot less of them to make the same weight.

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That oughta do it!

Check your math.

If they they weigh the shot load they put in for TSS and the TSS pellets are almost 2X heavier, it takes a lot less of them to make the same weight.
TSS is 18% heavier than lead not near 2X.

(Rodney Atkins)
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I am looking at a chart online that has pellet counts for 1 oz.

TSS #9 = 362
TSS #5 = 106

Lead #5 = 173

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bearcat beat me to it.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
That oughta do it!

Check your math.

Public apology - I missed you stated #5s.

The article I sited was a guy comparing lead 9 to TSS 9 being less pellets.

And TSS is 18 Gm per CC
Lead pellet density is 11.35 on google.
So TSS is about 50-60% heavier than lead.

Not 2x, but way more than 18%

Last edited by humdinger; 04/04/24.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
That oughta do it!

keep getting it, no turkey will survive that pattern so if its all right with you will stick with it. ya never know when you may have to shoot one running, gives me room for error.

I think what fullfan was getting at is, you’re leaving a lot on the table. The pellet count you’re getting in the pattern you posted is easily achieved with 1 3/8 to 1 5/8oz tss 9s, or even 8s. It’s a lot easier on your wallet, your gun, and your shoulder shooting a lighter load for the same return. Also, if you do a little Google-fu, you’ll see plenty of people have had issues/broken guns shooting those big payloads in a 20ga. 2oz is a 12ga load. 20ga weren’t built to handle it. Your gun handles it fine, until it doesn’t. However, your Franchi is an inertia gun, so will probably have fewer issues than a gas gun shooting those heavy loads. I happen to like my face and fingers, so I don’t push it.

Oh, and believe it or not, deer bite. Fairly hard.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
That oughta do it!

Check your math.

Public apology - I missed you stated #5s.

The article I sited was a guy comparing lead 9 to TSS 9 being less pellets.

And TSS is 18 Gm per CC
Lead pellet density is 11.35 on google.
So TSS is about 50-60% heavier than lead.

Not 2x, but way more than 18%

“Weight” and “density” get used interchangeably, but they’re not the same thing. At all. I think that’s where a lot of the confusion comes into play.

Oh, and believe it or not, deer bite. Fairly hard.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
As far as penetration, with the TSS 9's your are getting approximately and extra 180 lead 5's. The reason for TSS....Why any would compare it any other way is odd.
Corrected count.

Last edited by battue; 04/04/24.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by borden811
That oughta do it!

I think what fullfan was getting at is, you’re leaving a lot on the table. The pellet count you’re getting in the pattern you posted is easily achieved with 1 3/8 to 1 5/8oz tss 9s, or even 8s. It’s a lot easier on your wallet, your gun, and your shoulder shooting a lighter load for the same return. Also, if you do a little Google-fu, you’ll see plenty of people have had issues/broken guns shooting those big payloads in a 20ga. 2oz is a 12ga load. 20ga weren’t built to handle it. Your gun handles it fine, until it doesn’t. However, your Franchi is an inertia gun, so will probably have fewer issues than a gas gun shooting those heavy loads. I happen to like my face and fingers, so I don’t push it.
well, as far as saving the wallet, calling BS! have priced rogue, apex, verdict, pendelton, and federal, the Boss 2 oz loads are cheaper due to shipping fees, Boss ships free with a 100 dollar order. have tested nitro, verdict, federal, and boss through the gun/choke combo and Boss is shooting best. so will that pattern kill a gobbler? will a denser pattern kill them deader? now will that 2 oz Boss load at 1150 fps be any harder on my gun that a pendelton 1 5/8 ooz load at 1400 fps? which one makes more pressure? as far as recoil ya ever shoot a 2 5/8's oz load through a 3.5" 12, the 20 is a pleasure to shoot.

Last edited by Ridge_Runner; 04/05/24.

(Rodney Atkins)
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Ridge Runner, that target you posted of the 238 hits of the 2oz load of # 9's in the 20 gauge.....how big is the circle in inches?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (24HourCampFireGuy50, 1936M71, 160user, 1minute, 222Sako, 1Longbow, 63 invisible), 2,444 guests, and 1,451 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,170
Posts18,484,590
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.