Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
Originally Posted by duke61
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
Originally Posted by longshot3
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
How old are those primers? Winchester had an issue with WLR's a few years ago, they will replace or refund on them (at least they did back then).

P.S. Bet you have a pitted bolt face too.

They are a few years old. Was trying to use some older stuff up. Man, I've never had this happen before!

Yes, my bolt face is now pitted in 4 spots. Barely used Kimber Mountain Ascent. Dammit!

The pitting is cosmetic but can be repaired. I had the same thing happen with Federal primers.
How can pitting be repaired?

Greg does very nice work, but he hasnt been accepting new work for a couple years now.

Swifty
GB1

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Looks to me from the (not great) photos that the primers are so flattened that they are flowing over the outer edge pf the primer pocket. Decap a couple and look to see if the primer has a ridge around it.

Hip

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've had Greg bush LOTS of bolts for me and it is never not THE Cure. Hint.

OEM 700 bolt, positive headspace and 50gr V-Max smooch, on a Form Load(of which I'd fired 100,00rds+). Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Greg's bushed bolt. Minimal headspace "change",as in none. This particular boltface had been chewed THE fhuqk up, due it's horrendous slop. Hint.

Same Lot of Form Loads,post The Bush'. Hint.

Rifle is a HAMMER and often shoots under 1" at 500yds and is one of my favorite LR Egg Rifles. Hint.

Now I use the Kali Kid and he's fhuqking SENSATIONAL. Hint.

Just sayin'................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
That was my thought as well. If the shoulder is set back about .010 the primer protrudes until pressure shoves the case back, riveting the primer and stretching the primer cup and damaging it. Then you have a blowout. Check the headspace one the resized cases.

B
BC3 Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Bad primers. No doubt in my mind. This from one who suffered from a few just like you show. The WLR primers of a certain vintage shot great but had the nasty habit of pinholing through the edge just like your photo shows. These were produced probably 15 or so years ago and are the brass colored ones. If you search around a bit you can find a list with known lot numbers that were involved but I wouldn't waste my time because yours are either on the list or should be. The mfg sent a truck to my house to collect the 5 bricks that I had and I was reimbursed with a check for around 40$ per brick if I remember correctly. The newer WLR primers that I have are nickel(?) plated and in my experience fit a wee bit loose in my primer pockets. As others have posted, the bolt pitting is usually just cosmetic. Winchester did offer to repair any pitted bolt faces that I experienced but I did not go through the trouble.

IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Been noticing this lately on several rifles in 22 caliber ( 223 etc). BUT its only occurring when I am using light loads... and NOT every time. And the primers are NOT Winchester. UP the powder charge and it quits happening...increased pressure.

I've seen primers on light loads do some funky things over the years, not always, but enough to notice. Its just not constant, but the one common trait is light loads. Those will sometimes back the primers out of the case. Increase pressure and it stops.

Just my observation on those issues, but in those circumstances, the brass has looked EXACTLY like the pictures the OP posted.... and the cases can't be used again....loosens the primer pocket. So I scrap them.. but then plenty of range pick up opportunities, I don't worry about it much.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by duke61
I had the same thing years back with Winchester LR primers, I called Winchester and they send me the Fed Ex label and told me to send them all unused primers and any unfired ammo, I sent them about 1200 primers and some ammo and they sent me 5000 new primers. They also had me ship my rifle to Ruger where Ruger replaced a bolt that had craters on the bolt face due to faulty primers, Winchester covered the cost as well.
I had the same issue 20+ years ago but I swear they were Remington primers. Maybe I'm wrong on the brand. All I know is my 7mag still has 3 gas divots in the face of the bolt from them. They replaced the primers but never offered on the bolt and I didn't know any better to ask.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Does anyone remember if this issue existed with any Winchester Magnum LRP’s? What about any of the pistol primers (large, small and mag)? I just landed a stash of all of the above. Anybody have a link to a lot number list?

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Bad primers. In addition to WW, I've also had this happen with a couple of Tula LR primers.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by BigGnTn
Does anyone remember if this issue existed with any Winchester Magnum LRP’s? What about any of the pistol primers (large, small and mag)? I just landed a stash of all of the above. Anybody have a link to a lot number list?

100%. I had W/W Magnum LRP's fall out of Virgin R/P 8mm RemMag(300 Super) brass. Hint.

Just sayin'.............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

533 members (1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 1234, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 60 invisible), 2,275 guests, and 1,293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,389
Posts18,488,664
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.