Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Swampman700
I was going on the failures I’ve been reading about off this site. Fogging and failure to adjust.

If you’re going off this site about buying a scope you’ll be using iron sites…..

You ain't about that life.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
It’s a variable powered scope.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
I like mine. I did have to send it back once when I broke a plastic retaining piece messing with the elevation turret.

Otherwise it's a good scope and has good glass.

This one is on a pre-64, Krieger 6.5-284 in a Jon Sundra Boyd Classic stock, Jewell trigger.

DF

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

DF, what is that? About a 1955 rifle with a transition style safety? Surprised you are running windage adjustable mounts on that one too..

My buddy has 2 of these scopes. Both on 300WSM's. One on a Winchester model 70 Extreme Weather, and the other on a Sako Finlight. He's been having issues with that damn Finlight though. The scope was slipping in the rings. He tried to blame it on the "slickness" of the scope tube. I think the problem is someone previously lapped the rings, and probably took out too much material. Plus the recoil of the light rifle is causing some issues. As for the scopes, he says he loves them. He claims that his eyes are "old", and they help him to see better. He said he "has to have quality glass".. A logical excuse? Maybe. Anyway, I'm always leery of Swaro because I've had one that puked on me. At the time, it was the most expensive scope I had bought. I keep an eye on my buddies Z5's, and they are still working. I had the opportunity to buy a used Z5 3.5-18x44 last year for $800.00, but passed.

My buddy bought the one with the weird ballistic turret:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

He's had the scopes for about 4 years now, and the last time I asked him if he's figured out that turret, he said no. To each their own...
Why someone would tolerate that silly turret that’s made of plastic, when there are soooo many better options is beyond me!

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Turret is aluminum. There is a plastic retaining part that I broke, lacking finesse reassembling it. They fixed it and it's not given any trouble.

Yeah, that part wasn't too impressive, but if I wasn't forcing it, it wouldn't have broken. So, it was my fault.

Glass is great, it's not overly heavy for its level of performance and it's pretty sleek.

Overall, I like it. It would be hard to get that much optical performance in a lighter, sleeker package. To me that's it's strong point.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Here are two ways you can do the turret thing. The left one is on my M-700 26 Nosler wearing a 4-12x50 Z3 As you can see, I used the Sharpie. The dots are at 400, 500 and 600 yds. I would have started the dots at 300, but the Nosler likes to go long.

The right one I pictured on the M-70, a Z5 with a dedicated turret.

Dedicated turrets are nice, but the Sharpie price is right. And I can erase those marks with acetone, do it for another load, not so much with the dedicated version.

And, BSA, you have sharp eyes, It is a '55 vintage Pre-64 with transitional safety.

DF

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com][Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
It’s a variable powered scope.
Ya reckon?

DF

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Turret is aluminum. There is a plastic retaining part that I broke, lacking finesse reassembling it. They fixed it and it's not given any trouble.

Yeah, that part wasn't too impressive, but if I wasn't forcing it, it wouldn't have broken. So, it was my fault.

Glass is great, it's not overly heavy for its level of performance and it's pretty sleek.

Overall, I like it. It would be hard to get that much optical performance in a lighter, sleeker package. To me that's it's strong point.

DF
The turret internals on a Z series scope are plastic. That’s part of the reason why it’s so light.

The tubes are paper thin. Notice the 15-17in lbs ring torque recommendation, yeah, that should tell you all you need to know.

I also want my turrets in moa or mils, not yards.

Last edited by SDHNTR; 04/04/24.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
They are Frail Fogging Fickle Fhuqks in The Real World and round count do them NO favors. Hint.

Just sayin'...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Big Stick
They are Frail Fogging Fickle Fhuqks in The Real World and round count do them NO favors. Hint.

Just sayin'...............
I'm sure they wouldn't stand a good breaking in, but handled gently, they seem to survive.

Agree there are tougher scopes. These are very light for the optic performance offered.

Those bull stout ones are generally going to be a good bit heavier.

So, I guess everything is a choice one way or the other.

DF

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I agree with 'stick. Won't have another. I set the stupid single rev dot turrets with the zero stop at 200, triangle at 300 and the dots at 4,5,6. Trouble is, most standard cartridges can't even reach the 600, due to the 1 inch tube/single rev......

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 01Foreman400
I was going on the failures I’ve been reading about off this site. Fogging and failure to adjust.

If you’re going off this site about buying a scope you’ll be using iron sites…..

Good one!

I think a lot of the opinion differences around here result from the different expectations people have and also the way they treat their gear/luck. In sixty years, more or less, of using optics on rifles I can remember twice when I let one slide off a support, not really free-fall. One of those, a Lyman AA 8x that slid off the side of my Camaro, lost zero, made me miss a chip shot on a sitting crow. The other was a Leupy 2.5 and aside from a scuff mark, there was no trouble from that.
I’ve certainly had my share of falls, but always managed to keep the rifle ”out of it”. Hence, my scope troubles have mostly been with ones that had sloppy, inaccurate, inconsistent adjustments. I used to put up with that, as it was pretty much an accepted “feature” of the scopes I was using, but no more because it wastes my time and ammunition, and there are plenty of scopes out there that work correctly and take a beating as well. I try to buy those, but occasionally take a chance on a tender one if it otherwise meets my needs. I can’t take much of a beating myself these days, so toughness in my scopes doesn’t matter as much as I’m less likely to get myself in dicey situations.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I shoot daily. Hint.

From the hip,I've not shot out more than (7) spouts on a single receiver(7-08's all). I've only had 100's and 100's of rifles/scopes. Have NIB stuff at my feet,that recently arrived in the Mail and R&D never ends. I've simply never been in an environment,where Swaro riflescopes are "good" and they are simply fhuqking Dog Schit. Hint.

Them that "do" the least,lament them constants,to their perpetual chagrin. Velvet Gloves,Sunshine and Do Nothingness,are hardly a "test" of anything but high Estrogen Levels. THAT is where Swaro "shines". Hint.

I set here on the cusp of a 4wk tear and am picking'/choosin' gear, to bear that brunt. Might could be a pun there. Hint.

Living Walnut,CM steel,schit glass and schitty mounts ain't able to connect a single fhuqking dot. There will be wear and tear,all things WILL be saturated and trends revisited in their mechanical sanctity. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

There's multiple new NightFarces in the larder,fhuqking Trijicon and fhuqking Reupold too,so the laughs will be plenty! Hint.

Lotsa new rifles and more on order/transit,so as to keep schit "fair". Hint.

I reckon 200+ Steelhead and a couple Boomers. Hint.

Just sayin'................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Stick, are you into the steelheads yet? You obviously live in steelhead heaven.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Winter run is over and Spring is here. I strive to keep a balance and land 250 of each, but this 4wk window will certainly skew that "average". Hint.

I just got home today(2hrs ago) and am depositing bonus checks,opening mail and loading my crummy up. So I'm sorting wares,from blades,rods,terminal tackle,new rifles,new scopes,mounting systems,NightVision and a plethora of goodness. It's rough. Hint.(grin)

Had Sister loan a pard some of my wares and he hit me with Chrome pics an hour ago. Tides are modest, rainfall nil(until tomorrow),so it will be Turn & Burn,covering drifts of repute. It will be minimal sleep and LOTSA wader miles to tune in, but Good Rifles don't fret such things. Hint.

I'll be plum fhuqking AMAZED,if I don't land a couple 20-pounders. 40" specimens abound and this early start retains girth. There's some BIG Bitches that lay in wait. Hint.

One of my guys is arriving for a week and he's been "telling" me ALL about Steelheading for months. I'll CRUSH his Dreams and then get serious. Hint.(grin)

I reckon it'll be a NightFarce Spring with the Montucky 7" Speedmire wearing a 2.5-10x SFP and I'm thinking I'll slide an extra NX8 1-8x DM-X capped/Lit Bitch to a CA 7-08,for giggles. Hint.

Film at 11:00.............

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by huntsman22
I agree with 'stick. Won't have another. I set the stupid single rev dot turrets with the zero stop at 200, triangle at 300 and the dots at 4,5,6. Trouble is, most standard cartridges can't even reach the 600, due to the 1 inch tube/single rev......

I won’t ever shoot to 600 around here, half that is about it, but those skinny tubes also run out at much shorter distances I do shoot at with my .22s, hence the Super Chicken on my Ruger CSC. The accurate clicks don’t hurt any either…

Wonder when they’re going to get some more?

What fresh Hell is this?
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Well everything is a compromise.

You have tough and heavy vs sleek and light. Maybe some in between.

So, application seems the biggest criteria.

DF

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Function is bigger. To me.....

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by huntsman22

Try it on something a little flatter shooting than a 45-70…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Stick, I envy you and your steelhead opportunities. From years of fishing in the rivers on the Kenai and northward I have huge respect for 'bows. They can teach every other fresh water fish how to fight. Steelhead on the other hand, having only caught a few in my years, can teach 'bows how to fight. It's hard to imagine how much of a tussle a 40" steelhead puts up.

For several years my buddies and I fished up the northern tributaries of Lake Iliamna for spawning rainbows in October (when the ferrules freeze shut from the cold) and any 'bow over 30" we "counted".

Please take a breath of God's air for the rest of us no longer there and enjoy the thrill of catching those magnificent fish for those of us who can appreciate them.

Last edited by John_Havard; 04/04/24.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The only Z5 3.5-18×44 I worked with was fairly unimpressive. On my static tester, the 1/4" elevation adjustment was in excess of 3/8". The windage was closer to 1/2" than 1/4". Three shot groups from a very accurate 300WSM on the gridded test target comfirmed this. It held POI fine over 50 rounds, optics were decent but no more than you'd expect from a scope in that price range.

In the end, the owner had me put the 4-12 Nikon back on that he had me swap out for the Z5. -Al

Forbidden Zoner
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

615 members (1badf350, 257wthbylover, 22kHornet, 204guy, 222Sako, 01Foreman400, 61 invisible), 2,488 guests, and 1,390 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,602
Posts18,492,305
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.