-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Just loaded a couple of these to try before I loaded more to shoot. Used lee 1cc dipper 7.1 grs , Berry's 3030 150 grain plated bullet first one seated bullet too low second one perfect slightly belled case ( improvised that -see needle nose ha.) Fired in marlin 336 ,no recoil lotta fun, next ones loaded will see how they group. The load was slightly under 7.1grs I didn't fill the dipper all the way up level haven't got the dip and scoop move perfected yet ,but it was fun all the same. This load to me was like shooting a 22 mag because of the noise. Next time using scale to weigh charges. Would like to hear if seafire has any blue dot loads using plated bullets ,would be loading 308 and 3030 for short range practice and pest control

HR IC

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I think you're best off sticking with your Red Dot for this particular application. Over the years I've shot a metric ton of mid-weight .30 plain base cast bullets with miniscule charges of shotgun/pistol powders. In the case of the .30-30 5-6 grains of Red Dot is plenty for backyard fun. Why shoot 10 grains of a powder for awesome cheapness when you can shoot half of that weight of a different powder for ridiculous cheapness at the same performance level?

Sounds like you're new to this so here's the standard warning: no matter your powder measuring/weighing protocol, develop a system whereby you guarantee only one charge per case. Doesn't matter much how you do it, what matters is you develop a system and religiously/anally stick to it.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
A trick on using the measure. Dip it heaping full then take a business card a scrape off the excess so the powder is level with the top. you would be surprised how uniform your powder charges will be with this method.
Good luck,
Rick

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
All good advice thanks

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
I think you're best off sticking with your Red Dot for this particular application. Over the years I've shot a metric ton of mid-weight .30 plain base cast bullets with miniscule charges of shotgun/pistol powders. In the case of the .30-30 5-6 grains of Red Dot is plenty for backyard fun. Why shoot 10 grains of a powder for awesome cheapness when you can shoot half of that weight of a different powder for ridiculous cheapness at the same performance level?

Sounds like you're new to this so here's the standard warning: no matter your powder measuring/weighing protocol, develop a system whereby you guarantee only one charge per case. Doesn't matter much how you do it, what matters is you develop a system and religiously/anally stick to it.

IC B2

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Don't hunt anymore but love to shoot my rifles and pistols , don't need all that recoil for paper punching

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

523 members (10gaugemag, 22kHornet, 10gaugeman, 1Longbow, 1234, 1badf350, 59 invisible), 18,719 guests, and 1,403 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,852
Posts18,537,514
Members74,050
Most Online20,631
2 minutes ago

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.