Print Thread
Hop To
#19357925 04/04/24
W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
I have been mulling over a new lever gun for some time. Started looking for a Model 64. Not much cheper than a Model 1886 or a Model 71.
So for the 1886 vs the 71, which do you find that you like better? Why? I like the pistol grip guns. I have had both and found them to be very well made and nice to carry and shoot.
If I go with the 1886 it will likely be in 33 WCF just because of the recoil of a 45-70 even though I will need to get reloading stuff for it. I have set-up for 45-70 anf 348.

What about a Browning 71 or the "new" WInchester 1886 guns. The tang safety on the new Winchesters doesn't bother me and I actually prefer it.

Last edited by WStrayer; 04/04/24.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
I chose the modern 1886 in 45-90 because it also shoots 45-70 ammo well .
I also added the folding barrel sight and folding tang sight and avoided any scope sight complications.
This has worked well in Africa and the USA. The 45-90 performs much like the .458 Win Mag in Africa with one shot kills on Ele, Cape Buff and such and the 45-70 is handloaded at a variety of levels for smaller game.

This rifle weighs 9 pounds and holds very steady on all game.
As you can see, I avoided all non functional fancy decorations as this rifle is just a Hunting rifle.

CRS, NRA Benefactor Life Member, Whittington Center, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
Android Reloading Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
All are good choices.

A definite yes to needing a reloading setup for the 33wcf. The need for a setup for 348 isn’t far behind - but sounds like you have that covered.

An original pistol gripped 1886 will likely be much more expensive than a standard grade (uncheckered but pistol gripped) 71 and somewhat more expensive than a deluxe grade (checkered) 71 - depending on conditions of each.

One positive to your willingness for a 33wcf is that if all other things are the same between two identically configured and conditioned 1886’s aside from one being chambered in 33 and the other in 45-70, the 33 will almost always be less expensive.

I believe you’ll find a reasonably priced 71 quicker than a pistol gripped (smooth or checkered) 1886, but your results may vary.

As for newer production options, I have no experience with the Winchester 71 remakes but the browning 71 remakes are excellent rifles.

If money is less of an object my vote would be a special order 1886 with checkered pistol grip stocks, or a deluxe 71 carbine, or a high grade browning 71.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
It's an apples to oranges comparison, IMO. Although the actions are almost the same (excluding the Mirokus) the ergos are completely different. Want a more modern stock design with pistol grip? Model 71 (or 64). Want more "traditional" straight grip? 1886....more choices with butt, barrel and magazine styles but anything other than .33WCF will cost much more. About the only one that combines some features you like is a Miroku 1886 with pistol grip and tang safety, but .45-70 or .45-90 are the calibers. Buy what floats your boat, what I consider best may be a far cry from what you or others think.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
I had a Browning 1886 years ago. 26" full tube mag but with crescent butt plate. Hated that butt plate.
The trigger was terrible but a local gunsmith took care of that for me.
Seems to be a lot of 33 WCF guns. Due to ammo issues, I am sure.
Notvsure I agree with the comment about the 33 WCF being cheaper that 45-70 guns .
I was not able to get to the Timonium MD Antique Gun Show Las month. That probably would have been a good place to look.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Nothing else to compare to, but I shoot my Dad's M71 that he bought new when he was around 18, was his one and only carry rifle for close to 30 yrs.

I killed 2 doe and a buck with it since I started reloading for it and carrying it hunting some years. I'm biased I know, but they are great rifles. From look, to fit and function and quality. You know you're carrying a real rifle when you use one of them hunting.

One is alone in a land so vast, there is only the mountains, the wind, and the eyes of God.
L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
All depends on how you intend to use it. Investment, hunting specific game, how you hunt. I look at my collection like a golfer looks at his bag of clubs. The feel in your individual hands, the cal. for intended use (including investment), walkers and sitters….One is never enough. Everything mentioned above will do a specific job and all good iron… like any sport maybe you buy it for one season and make a trade. Not a Winchester, JM, Browning I don’t like in a lever.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I have owned Winchester M/64, 1886 and M/71, I preferred the 1886. Forming the .33 WCF cases from .45-70 wasn't a problem, early M/71's were nice rifles if your preference was for a pistol grip. I was fortunate to own two M/1886 .33 WCF, one a hunting grade and the other a darn near mint example complete with original hang tag and advertizing broadside.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I started pressing my nose to gunshop glass in the late sixties as out of University on GI Bill & working, finally with "disposable income" after a long dry spell. The 71 was both more expensive and but for the 20" ^ 24" barrel length and regular & deluxe editions. That was it. The lack of chamber choices seemed a bit ridiculous. They were also more expensive than the average '86 in .33 Win and that chambering was the least expensive. The Model 64 was also 'out there' but no overlapping chambering, moreover a totally different action design; really a different creature. Comparisons there going to needs and taste.
Winchester had such great opportunity to do so much with the 71, but it hit the market the same year as the Model 70 was intro'd in '36 and speculation the Factory did not want internal Company competition. Who knows, but it positioned the 71 as an "also ran" by hobbling the chambering and the pistol grip as only stock. One factor unmentioned so far in this Thread, the 71 was 'allegedly' of nickel steel receiver and maybe bolt. (Such the Model 70 as definitely.) Beyond seems to me the 71 never really reached its potential. Conversely, the Factory went whole hog on the '86 with a bunch of choices from chamberings to stock configurations to barrel lengths. "Nickel Steel" replaced "High Pressure Steel as I recall just after the turn of the Twentieth Century. Entirely sufficient for factory chamberings intended in normal "smokeless" loads. The variations in the '86, greater fodder of collectors nowadays.

I can't comment on values nowadays, but at least into the nineties era, a standard grade '86 in most prevalent .33 Win was selling for less than a 71. I have several vintage '86 models all in 33 Win and in .33 chambering as then most affordable and 45/70 as most desirable "least"! I much prefer the straight stock as my very precept of "levers" as historic except for such as the Win 88 and like rotating bolt editions.

I also have one Browning '86 in their rendition of of the Saddle Ring Carbine. Senior memory moment but believe it's a 22" barrel and definitely full mag. Miroku manufacture as all of the Browning breed to my knowledge right back to the reintroduction celebrating 1886 + Century edition in 1986. My understanding at least through 2012 as I bought a lightweight sporter Winchester with the tang safety in 45/70. I think the best news is that all such rifles are safe for the loads factory intended and then some. Also the good/bad of non-original specimens as the bad while factually "more affordable" the compromise.

I think the 'net' here back to the old "pay the toll & take your choice". Plenty of options and the fact of needing to handload, perhaps yet the considerably cheaper (?) alternative to factory stuff at current prices!

Just my appreciative take of the 71/1886 Pattern rifles.
Best!
John

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (1badf350, 1lesfox, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 56 invisible), 2,517 guests, and 1,493 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,194
Posts18,485,002
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.