Print Thread
Hop To
T
TheKid Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Went to an estate sale today with my dad and amongst a sea of cheap single shot shotguns I and 22s I spied something worthy of a closer look. I reached across the table and was amazed when it was what I thought, a very good shape Colt New Frontier 22. Tagged at about 2/3 the going rate according to closed GB auctions.

It’s a 6”adjustable sights with perfect grips and case colors, very slight holster wear on the muzzle. It’s the later version that’s 22lr only and has the cross bolt under the loading gate. I have been looking for a Single Six for my boy to grow up with but couldn’t pass up the Colt for the price.

Might keep it, might put it on the table in Tulsa Saturday. Any of you guys have one?

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Dual cyl, no crossbolt, aftermarket fake ivories....

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I had one, dual cylinders, no crossbolt. i gave it to a 15 year grandson last year. My son tells me it occupies its own shelf with nothing else on it in his bedroom.

Mathew 22: 37-39

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
TheKid: Good for you on that "find"!
By coincidence the VarmintWife was helping her lifelong friend square away and evaluate an estate of the friends uncle a couple years ago.
They called me for an evaluation of what appeared her to be a new, unfired (still had hang tag on it), in the original box, with both black Colt grips and Stag Colt grips, Colt Peacemaker with both cylinders (22 L.R. & 22 Magnum).
I looked it up and called them back - due to some perceived "issues" I was hesitant to bid on the pistol.
Well the VarmintWife eventually showed up back at home with the MINT perfect Colt Peacemaker in tow, and she relayed how she got the pistol at a greatly discounted "price", as partial payment for her work on the estate.
I got lucky when I married her 48+ years ago!
I am glad YOU had some similar luck today.
Let us (me) know if you decide to sell it in these free classified ads.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Awesome. great buy.

Molon Labe
IC B2

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Nice score.

T
TheKid Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I stopped at the farm this evening and shot a half box of shell through it. I’m not sure about it. Maybe I’ve been a Single Six guy for too long, been packing a 6.5” one since I was 12. I think I’ll go shoot it some more tomorrow and see if it grows on me. Either way it’s a dang nice little revolver.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by TheKid
I stopped at the farm this evening and shot a half box of shell through it. I’m not sure about it. Maybe I’ve been a Single Six guy for too long, been packing a 6.5” one since I was 12. I think I’ll go shoot it some more tomorrow and see if it grows on me. Either way it’s a dang nice little revolver.

I like them better than my Single Sixes. Seem to balance better in my hand.
My first pistol I bought at 13 or 14 was a 4.75 Nickke Colt Scout with the wood grips and both cylinders.
Had to get Mom to go to the LGS store and fill out the paperwork. 🤠

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Very nice find, Kid. Would you mind to share a picture or two. What do you mean with the crossbolt under the loading gate?

Don, nice still life!

How does the gun work with the 22 Magnum cylinder and the bigger rimfire cartridges. As accurate as with the 22 l.r.?

Elmer Keith
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Don, once you posted a picture of you 22 gun collection hanging on your wall at your home. Unfortunately I can't find it anymore. IIRC there was another Colt 22 revolver. Also a NF or one of his fixed sight cousins?

Elmer Keith
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I like mine alot,also 6" barrel.Came with the .22 mag cylinder in a blue felt drawstring pouch.It is very accurate.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Congrats Kid on a truly nice catch. I've seldom seen these over decades of collecting. Below pix* of my New Frontier. Most of what it is, evident. 6" barrel. It is the dual cylinder edition with the cylinder box the lump in the not best quality photo. Re the cylinder fastener, no idea they were ever made without such! What was the idea, just to save a few bucks on theory in .22, recoil loosening, not a factor?

Had an earlier edition Ruger fixed sights, 4" barrel and much prefer the adjustability factor of the Colt. Ordinarily would have preferred a 4" barrel, but considering "target" context, the extra sight radius can make a difference if longer ranges. I'm happy with the Colt name and a quality product!

*Pix flameout as file size too large! Anyway, beautiful case hardening frame and otherwise polished deep blue with black original Colt logo black grips. W/Box, as new, a nifty piece!

Thanks for sharing and again 'Congrats!'
Best!
John

Last edited by iskra; 04/04/24.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ElmerKeith
IIRC there was another Colt 22 revolver.

Ya. I have a Peacemaker, too...

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Thanks for posting. Does it shoot to point of aim at 20 or even 25 yards? At what distance did you get the racoon?

Elmer Keith
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
yes, at least with SV. The coons were in traps....

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (10ring1, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 219DW, 1234, 54 invisible), 2,509 guests, and 1,326 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,201
Posts18,485,216
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.