Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I don't know if you guys are interested in shooting this one. Didn't get much participation on the St. Patrick's day challenge here. I like shooting these though. The weather is getting better too, so there's no excuse not to go to the range!!

As I'm proving with these shoots, you don't have to be shooting a $4,000.00 set up. My rifle cost me $474.00 total, after selling the factory parts off. This is the rifle I usually reach for, when the chips are down.

I'll start it off for you guys. Be sure to get out and shoot this one. One warning though, print off the new targets!!! They are bigger, like the one in this video. The first targets Eli sent me were smaller. I'm still not exactly sure about how to add up the score on this one, so I'll just let Eli handle that!!!!

Rifle specs: 1990's Ruger 10/22 with 20" stainless Kidd barrel, Volquartsen trigger parts (fine tuned to 2 1/4 pounds), Magpul X22 stock, bolt worked over and headspaced by me, glass bedded by me. The rifle shoots well, with just about any kind of ammo Scope is a Burris AR7.62 4.5-14x42 with C4 windplex reticle:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Target stapled up to the backer board at the 50 yard rimfire range:

Target after trying to score it. Just sent it to Eli, so maybe he will update my score?

This may not be much of a challenge for some of you guys. Get out there and give it a try. I'll be reshooting it, after I get some ink for my printer. Then I can also print some of the new/bigger targets up.

Here's the link for Day at the range if you are interested in participating:

Day at the range Easter challenge

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
my bride loaded the link to her phone. she will print me some targets tuesday when she is back a work.
i have a 10/22 built for me by a young gunsmith friend. i am thinking of getting the magpul stock, or the hogue thumbhole stock, to replace the standard beech stock in which he bedded the action. as is, it shoots very, very well ...

Last edited by fish30ought6; 04/05/24.

abiding in Him,

><>fish30ought6<><
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
it WILL be a challenge for me ...

abiding in Him,

><>fish30ought6<><
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by fish30ought6
my bride loaded the link to her phone. she will print me some targets tuesday when she is back a work.
i have a 10/22 built for me by a young gunsmith friend. i am thinking of getting the magpul stock, or the hogue thumbhole stock, to replace the standard beech stock in which he bedded the action. as is, it shoots very, very well ...

Sounds great. A good 10/22 can be surprisingly accurate/precise. The last challenge was quite a bit harder, in my opinion. These eggs vary in size, and some seem to be big and out in the open, while others feel like you have to thread the needle. The little one I missed had me concerned.

The subject of stocks is a good one. It's been discussed here quite a bit, on some threads. Just be warned that the Magpul X22 stock is pretty lightweight. The ergo's are great though. You can set it up for just about any body structure. There are other good stocks out there, but I went by reviews and watching many Youtube videos, to make my final decision. I didn't want an expensive chassis, as I was trying to make a point with this build: Have an exceptional rifle for under $500.00.

The other 10/22 I have is an all stainless receiver and stainless Green Mountain barrel. It shoots well, but is not as consistent shooting as my Kidd barreled rifle. My girlfriend has latched on to it though. So, she may end up getting it. That rifle is more solid/stable feeling, because of the AT One thumb hole Boyds stock, and a little extra weight.

Sometimes I feel like I wished the Magpul X22 was heavier, because it does not hold as steady as the Boyds stock does. For a squirrel hunting rifle that you are packing around a lot, the Magpul gets my vote. For something that gets shot more off the bench, maybe not so much. However, with that being said, just about anything will be better than the factory carbine stock!! Those have always been too short for my liking. The deluxe walnut stocks are pretty nice though. Plenty of options out there!!

Good luck on this challenge, if you shoot it. It would be nice to see someone clean it. I'm still waiting on ink for the printer, and then I'll shoot it again and then email Eli the target picture. The new/bigger target will be easier!!!!!

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by CamNWIA
Eli has a new challenge up on the Day At The Range website with some little easter eggs on it. I'm trying to get it to print and hope to shoot it this weekend if the wind will settle down...

Let us know how it goes. Thanks!!

BSA MAGA
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
hah! if i clean it, it will be with a broom ...
and thanks for the stock advice. the left side rear sling bar is what attracts me most to the magpul, for flat carry over my 72-year-old back.

Last edited by fish30ought6; 04/06/24.

abiding in Him,

><>fish30ought6<><
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
hah! if i clean it, it will be with a broom ...
and thanks for the stock advice. the left side rear sling bar is what attracts me most to the magpul, for flat carry over my 72-year-old back.

Yep, no problem. That stock is actually pretty good, in regards to ambidextrous regards. It has a rear sling point on the right hand side of the butt as well.

I really like the stock, but I always have to point out that it's pretty lightweight. I sold a spare one to a buddy at my club in Wa. He was 80 at the time (83 now). My buddy Steve put the stock on for him at the range right before a shoot, and man we were all surprised, his scores got better, right after that stock change. I told him, try it first, before you pay for it. After our shoot, he gladly handed me the money. He was pretty happy with it. We were all pretty happy for him too.

He had gone nearly 50 years before firing that 1968 Ruger 10/22. He installed some Volquartsen trigger parts on his own, with Steve's guidance too. That and the stock is what was the icing on the cake for him though.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
good story there, and proof in the pudding. thanks.

abiding in Him,

><>fish30ought6<><
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
good story there, and proof in the pudding. thanks.

Yep, no problem. Let me know if you shoot this challenge. Thanks!!!

Anyone else interested?? The weather was pretty nice, but I did not get a chance to get out until late. The sun was right in my eyes, so I had to wait about 15 minutes for it to go behind the mountain. The dang chukar were flying past me, and landing on the hill side. Almost right behind the target!! A good night of shooting though.

Rifle: Savage MKI FVT single shot (iron sight target rifle, with sights removed). Boyds Rimfire Hunter stock.
Scope: Burris AR7.62 4.5-14x42
Ammo: Lapua Master, Lapua Multi match: Pretty old ammo with dried up lube. Manufacture date unknown.

First go around. Shooting left handed:

Target stapled on backer board:

Target scored, with info on it:

Winds were very light this evening:

Same rifle, shot right handed. Used different Lapua ammo (Multi Match):
I know Certifiable will get a kick out of that old ammo. The damn lube is all dried up, but it still shoots fairly well.

For those interested: The weather is getting better. No excuses for not getting out and doing some shooting now.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
got my targets yesterday. i intend to set up today, and shoot this afternoon.

abiding in Him,

><>fish30ought6<><
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
got my targets yesterday. i intend to set up today, and shoot this afternoon.

Cool! Sounds good. I know it doesn't look like too hard of a challenge, on the computer screen, but those small eggs in the middle are a biotch!! I'm running a 14x scope, and they still look too small through that thing. There was a guy on Youtube that shot it with a 3-9x40. I think he scored a 5, or something like that.. I bought some taller rings for my new to me Winchester model 320, so I can put a bigger scope on it, just for this shoot. Not sure if I'll do that though. It's shooting very well with the new Burris FFII 3-9x40. Its nice and light that way too.

Hopefully you have a nice calm day today. Good luck!!

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well, I got my rifle zeroed on the yellow center dot. Best group of 5 was .75 inch including a flyer off my rickety adhoc bench and bags. My old right eye and weaver classic 6x cannot resolve the medium and small eggs, so I'll have to pass on shooting the eggs. I reckon more Xs are need for my astigmatism. I'll be 73 next month. Maybe I'll treat myself to a variable of at least 12x max ...

Last edited by fish30ought6; 04/09/24.

abiding in Him,

><>fish30ought6<><
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Well, I got my rifle zeroed on the yellow center dot. Best group of 5 was .75 inch including a flyer off my rickety adhoc bench and bags. My old right eye and weaver classic 6x cannot resolve the medium and small eggs, so I'll have to pass on shooting the eggs. I reckon more Xs are need for my astigmatism. I'll be 73 next month. Maybe I'll treat myself to a variable of at least 12x max ...

Hell yes. Treat yourself to a little better scope. Like I said earlier. Even a14x scope is a little small for some of those eggs. Speaking for myself. I know other guys do better with less magnification than I do. My eyes just aren’t what they used to be, either. Dealing with an infection in my left eye, the reason I had to shoot “weak” side in one of the above pictures.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mercy. Comfort and healing for your ailing eye ...

abiding in Him,

><>fish30ought6<><
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I submitted my target to Eli for score. I think it’s a 13, I have a 16x viper pst I should put on my 22 my 10x swfa I was struggling. Also the sun was bad this evening, need to shoot this in the morning or mid afternoon. But nonetheless it was fun. I used eley match and bergara bmr steel rifle.

quick edit the Viper pst is a 4-16 and I was using eley match.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S
I submitted my target to Eli for score. I think it’s a 13, I have a 15x viper pst I should put on my 22 my 10x swfa I was struggling. Also the sun was bad this evening, need to shoot this in the morning or mid afternoon. But nonetheless it was fun. I used eley target and bergara bmr steel rifle.

Awesome buddy. Thanks for joining in!!! Those Bergara's seem to be shooting machines!!! I'm glad someone else was struggling, but you had 10x, and I was running a 14x. My left eye has been fu cking with me again. Glued shut the other morning, when I woke up!!! I did get out and shoot it again, and could see better with the left eye 2 days ago:

Had to wait for the sun to go behind the hill:

I set up my spotter, like a puss...

Don't ask me how old this ammo is. Maybe Certifiable may know???

First target:

Second target:

That little egg in the middle is a biotch!!! Just to put it nicely...

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Mercy. Comfort and healing for your ailing eye ...
Thanks!!! It's getting slightly better. I could see better on the 9th, so I re-shot this one left handed. I don't mind shooting right handed, but I have to focus more, when shooting from the "weak side". Not that that is a bad thing. Sometimes I lose focus, when shooting naturally!!!!

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It is only natural ...

abiding in Him,

><>fish30ought6<><
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
It is only natural ...

Ha ha..

BSA MAGA

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (1OntarioJim, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 160user, 65 invisible), 2,473 guests, and 1,351 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,189
Posts18,484,895
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.