Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
How bad do ring marks on a scope have to be on a scope have to be for you to start being worried? If it's more than just visual and you can feel a small dent, would you be worried then?

GB1

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I bought a rifle and scope on here used recently. I pulled the scope off to put it on another rifle. There were gouges from the rings where it was either over-tightened or took a hit during shipping, though I believe it was over-tightened.

The scope holds zero and tracks like it should. the only thing I have noticed with it is that close to the end of the adjustment range, the clicks get very tight.

You just need to test it and see. There are too many variables to have a rule of thumb.

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
To me, rings marks just ugly-up a scope. Also, if the scope is badly-marked from rings, I tend to think the scope may have been abused in other ways as well. Indentations/dents cause me concern.

It's pretty simple to mount a scope so as that there are no ring marks (or the most minimal markings at worst). No matter how good the deal, I tend to avoid scopes that look like they may have been a shark's chew toy.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
It’s kinda like brown stains in underwear. Size? Gouged or crusty?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
They are of no concern to the seller. It is when you receive them that they are serious. Happens in the mail.

IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Tried an Aero mount on an AR with a 6xSS.

Dented the scope trying to keep the rings tight (this was before I “knew better”).

Scope still functions flawlessly.

I do have some scopes that I mounted back in the day (again, before I “knew better”) that I’d hate to remove and look at 😂. But, they don’t get dialed and typically hold zero.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
The closer to the w/e mechanism or the power ring they are, the more they might be a source of trouble. A used Leupold 6.5-20X40 (1" tube) I got in trade had a sticky power ring from the rear ring mounted too close to it and tube dents.

Forbidden Zoner
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
They got this tool, it looks like a C clamp with numbers, and some people know what those numbers mean. It's called a micrometer and was invented by a guy named 'Mike' I bet. Anyway, Mike knows if a tube is distorted, thusly, whether the marks are cosmetic or potentially damaging. I wish some of you would listen to Mike before you put a used ring marked scope up for sale on here. Then the buyer would have some idea whether the marks are cosmetic or possibly serious.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I scratch my head every time I see these scope with ring marks. As a guy who has mounted upwards of 150 scopes I can’t recall a single one being damaged.

You ain't about that life.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Dents are a problem. Scuffs or scratches are an annoyance.

IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
There's no reason a scope should have any dents. faint ring marks are Ok. But heavy scratch's and dents where the scope has been mounted are a sign of an improperly mounted scope.

They are easy to prevent.
Use a proper torque wrench and use the torque specs suggested by the scope/ring manufactures.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by flintlocke
They got this tool, it looks like a C clamp with numbers, and some people know what those numbers mean. It's called a micrometer and was invented by a guy named 'Mike' I bet. Anyway, Mike knows if a tube is distorted, thusly, whether the marks are cosmetic or potentially damaging. I wish some of you would listen to Mike before you put a used ring marked scope up for sale on here. Then the buyer would have some idea whether the marks are cosmetic or possibly serious.

Ain't no $money$ in that... what it's all about to seller anyway.

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Or you could look at or request close up pictures...faint ring marks in the finish won't show as discernible with one of the "MIKEY" c-clamp looking thing-a-ma-bobs you refer to...and unless your "MIKEY" tool has pointed tips that can avoid "spanning" the ring marks edge (lines) you won't be able to discern "measure" the distortion...now if the entire circumference (the outside circular surface of the scope tube) has been crushed, then and only then will a normal faced "MIKEY" apparatus allow you to measure the distortion.

Dedicated Master of the Western Influenced Martial Art known simply as "KLIK PAO" !!!
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
And then we have a common 'caliper' , prolly invented by Cal, with the last 1/4" ground down to a blade edge which can suffice in measuring annular divots.
I don't think most sellers are deliberately disingenuous, but it would calm buyers misgivings to mike the main tube when there is visible signs of distress.
Don't you just love it when some minimum wage Gun Library flunky describes bore or rifling appearance as "nice"?

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by jc189
There's no reason a scope should have any dents. faint ring marks are Ok. But heavy scratch's and dents where the scope has been mounted are a sign of an improperly mounted scope.

They are easy to prevent.
Use a proper torque wrench and use the torque specs suggested by the scope/ring manufactures.

Some guys may need a torque wrench. Others not so much. It starts with ring alignment first. IF you have scope ring alignment issues, even properly torqued ring screws will damage a scope tube, or put "ring marks" on it. ALWAYS make sure your rings are in alignment, before you even install a scope. If they are out, correct that, and move on.

Imagine what this type of misalignment will do to a scope tube:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Everyoe here should have a set of alignment bars. Not everyone here needs a torque wrench. Hint..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (240NMC, 160user, 17CalFan, 222Sako, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 61 invisible), 2,257 guests, and 1,281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,281
Posts18,486,813
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.