Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
O
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
Hey Guys, I’m sitting on 4 preference points for wyoming pronghorn. Just been accruing points the past few years. With little time to travel and hunt, two kids under 3. I’m itching to apply this fall, however I’ve heard of reduced numbers and lower overall herd quality. I’ve previously hunted unit 9 and was successfull. I’ve looked into that unit again but I’m wondering if there is a better option with my 4 points. Not really wanting to pony up $$ for the special tag. Any suggestions are welcomed, obviously I’m not looking for your honey holes, I’d just like to get away for a week and have an enjoyable hunt

Thanks
Ryan

GB1

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I have hunted eastern Wyoming just south of Newcastle off an on for 30 years, my hunting bud has been going every year for those 30 years and last year 6 applied for deer and antelope tags. For the first time in those 30 years no one drew antelope and only one deer was taken by the group. The winter was brutal.

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
You can view what the the district biologists have posted regarding the antelope herd status in the hunt areas here- https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLJqWFxuSPC1dWxI-lYMbTSHL6epHb_h6s
Just keep in mind that winter isn't over in Wyoming yet as the worse game and livestock killing blizzard that I have ever seen occurred in late April of 1984.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
That's some pretty good info. Thanks for sharing that. I was up in 38 last year. Not a whole lot of public that's easily accessible, but I managed to kill a good buck on the 2nd day. If I had 4 points I'd be up around Gillette.

M
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
M
Not sure I would burn 4 points this year, would wait and build more points to give the herds a chance to come bsck to come back some and then put in for one of the units north of Casper with alot of public land.

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
There's antelope to kill up there. No problem. Booners? Hardly. But you'll see goats and get stalks. Be able to shoot 5 to 7 hundred yards if need be. Anytime you can chase antelope is a great time!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Phasmid
You can view what the the district biologists have posted regarding the antelope herd status in the hunt areas here- https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLJqWFxuSPC1dWxI-lYMbTSHL6epHb_h6s
Just keep in mind that winter isn't over in Wyoming yet as the worse game and livestock killing blizzard that I have ever seen occurred in late April of 1984.

1984 hunting season was pretty rough for sure. Not a lot of bucks, what was around Saratoga were petty small. Took a few days to get this little guy. The next year I killed my biggest antelope in the same area. So I think they rebound pretty quick.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
4 PPs will not get you an area with lots of public. Tag numbers are cut again in some areas but 38 where Coyote hunted is not a bad area. Saw some really nice bucks in there last year and very few hunters.
Been seeing pretty good numbers there so far and decent growth for horns.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Phasmid

Thanks
A lot of great information in those videos.
I have more points than years left in me.
I hope they rebound quickly.

Decades of voting for the lesser of two evils has gotten us just that.....
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Take a listen to the Laramie Region video, might get some good info there about around our area, some spots are good- some still recovering.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

425 members (1_deuce, 204guy, 1moredeer, 160user, 06hunter59, 257wthbylover, 56 invisible), 2,618 guests, and 1,249 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,238
Posts18,485,824
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.