Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
As already mentioned, hanging or even ageing in a cooler on ice for at least 7 days is the ticket. Hanging skin on is better. But sometimes that is just not possible.

If I have to process one right away due to warm weather or just don't have the time, the whole deer gets ground into burger. Backstraps and all. we use a lot of burger so its not a problem. That grinder tenderizes them just fine.

GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by baldhunter
One thing that works well is a Jaccard tenderizer.It's a quick way to take care of tough meat.
https://www.amazon.com/Jaccard-2003...p;hvtargid=pla-4583795260447326&th=1

Because I cannot control the logistics of proper aging, I have now used this tool for two bulls. They then go into a glass bowl of marinade for 24 hours. Whether it gets cooked on the grill, oven or broiler, it turns out to be very tender.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
It's been chewed for you already.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Not for nothin’, I stopped using Italian Dressing in the marinade, found the back strap turned stringy (and tough)

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The half dozen or so deer I've boned in the woods were not noticeably different than ones that hung for several days. Lucky?

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I bought this old Hobart Steakmaster for $60 about fifteen years ago and I'm glad I did.If I have some meat that I want to make tenderized cutlets,I run it through the Steakmaster when I'm processing the meat.It really tames tough meat quickly.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Mom used to fry up cutlets like that when my brother and I were in grade school. We called them rubbermeats. grin

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
I have also heard that freezing breaks down cell walls and will make it more tender also. Have not tested it myself yet.

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
My processor told me to never cut one up before rigor mortis sets in and then comes out. A buddy of mine tested that once having shot a cow elk late the last day of our hunt and gutted and taken to the processor immediately. He told him to cut it and wrap and freeze to pick up the next morning as he needed to get on the road. The butcher cautioned him against that to no avail. My buddy said it was the toughest meat he’d ever had; blamed it on being an old cow. The cow was no more than 2-3 years old judging by her size and good teeth. That’s why when anyone offers venison I try to politely decline saying my freezer is full, but if they insist the pups are real happy.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Coyote10
Originally Posted by cra1948
Originally Posted by Pappy348
This is why I continue to drag ‘em out rather than boning them out afield as seems popular now. I watch the YT folks rush to get their meat bagged up and hauled out of the woods and think, gonna be a lot of chew to that. Last season I dragged out the first one and packed it well with ice, then skinned and quartered it the next day, putting the meat in a 150 quart cooler on ice for about four days before I started cutting it. The next two, killed at the same time, were dragged out and taken to a processor, where they hung in a cooler for at least a week before cutting. It makes a difference. I found this out from Mule Deer, who along with his wife really study this stuff for her writing. Before that, I mostly thought it was a matter of luck, or the stress the critter experienced when killed.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^^^^
Get what your saying, but.
You ain't dragging everything out. Specially when your on the side of a mountain or in a hell hole and its dark and cold. The farm fawns that can be driven to, sure. Hang em a week. But a big ol mulie or elk? Ain't gonna happen way back in the stuff. I've heard the old timers in the area I live tell me a milking doe or sucking fawn is more than likely gonna be tough. Yet to run into one handled right, but hey, it what they say. Same old timers tell me if you see cattle laying down in the fields it can mean fishing and hunting is gonna be tough. I just told them, "or it can mean their full".

The longest drag I’ll have is maybe a mile and a half. Most are 1/2-3/4. I’ve settled on jet sleds as the best means overall as I can haul in some helpful stuff and then haul everything out, keeping the carcass clean. With my knee as it is, my much-younger wife helped me pull all the deer out, a very welcome assistance. Still hoping for a bear, which oughta be interesting…..

Dragging on snow is a relative breeze, but that’s a rare event during the regular season.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I don't "drag" , I carry the out on my back. In 60+ years of hunting I have NEVER, had a backstrap that was anything but fine eating. Dress them fast , hang them up for a few days and start eating the tender, and smaller parts, before they dry out.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

265 members (257 mag, 12344mag, 2500HD, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 160user, 30 invisible), 1,729 guests, and 1,082 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,630
Posts18,492,987
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.