Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
A year or so ago the USFWS published the results of state and their own studies. More lead than expected was found in bald and golden eagles and a larger proportion of golden eagles than more than anticipated significant levels of lead in their systems.

I put little stock in any government study anymore, state or federal. I’m sure any evidence that contradicts their agenda is disregarded, dismissed or destroyed. I think we’ve gotten to the point where true science no longer exists. The goal is to ban lead, and ultimately hunting. An objective study in this matter simply isn’t going to happen.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
GB1

W
WMR Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Hunterapp
I am a old school hunter that grew up on hunting game, varmints critters with lead core bullets. for the last two years I have deer hunted exclusively with lead free bullets in a 6mm ARC. Other than cost per practice round I see little downside to breaking away from using lead core bullets for hunting.

Guess I am less bothered by the aims of these interest groups than I have been in the past.

Though to be honest I am more concerned by the chemicals widely used in todays farming practices & their impact on wildlife & mankind, than I am by the lead exposure to wildlife & mankind.

Good for you. Shoot what you want. But you are no friend of sportsmen if you simply shrug and stand aside while such bans are passed. Sometimes silence is golden. Sometimes it’s just plain yellow.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by WMR
........you are no friend of sportsmen if you simply shrug and stand aside while such bans are passed. Sometimes silence is golden. Sometimes it’s just plain yellow.

Call me yellow. I've spent a few hundred thousand dollars on lawyers in my life, and I'll be damned if I'll spend more on an issue like this. I'll just get busy reloading copper bullets for hunting and save the lead ones for the revolution you guys start.

NRA Life Endowment Member
W
WMR Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Huntster
Originally Posted by WMR
........you are no friend of sportsmen if you simply shrug and stand aside while such bans are passed. Sometimes silence is golden. Sometimes it’s just plain yellow.

Call me yellow. I've spent a few hundred thousand dollars on lawyers in my life, and I'll be damned if I'll spend more on an issue like this. I'll just get busy reloading copper bullets for hunting and save the lead ones for the revolution you guys start.

Hundreds of thousands? Revolution? Huh??

It costs exactly zero dollars to take a stand. Calling or emailing a Representative is free. Speaking out in your own circle requires only courage and principle. Lots of good Germans stood by while the trains were loaded. 🫤

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by WMR
........It costs exactly zero dollars to take a stand. Calling or emailing a Representative is free. Speaking out in your own circle requires only courage and principle. Lots of good Germans stood by while the trains were loaded. 🫤

When the trains were being loaded in Germany, it was done by armed soldiers. FMJ bullets of lead, illegal or not, is perfectly wonderful ammo during such times. As disgusted as I might be with federal copper bullet mandates for hunting, I'll use them if I have to, and yes, save the good stuff for the revolution. Yup, let me write it again: the revolution........the kind Jefferson's letter to William Smith describes which is eventually inevitable.

Until then? Talk doesn't work. I gave up sending Murky emails years ago, and I have no intention whatsoever wasting my time sending emails to Mary Peltola or any state elected official outside my elective district. I spent a few semesters in political science classes, and I know how the system works. Neither Bert Stedmen nor his aides will even waste their time reading my messages after I type my address in their message box (that's why they use them). I don't count, because my vote can neither help or hurt them.

The victims of this type of political banning (shooters) are way too fractured to band together to get anything positive done. I've been a voting member of the NRA for 40 years. I learned long ago that a significant percentage of shooters hate the NRA as much or more than the Sarah Brady Brigade. The lastest LaPierre/North/James bruhaha (coming preciesly as James is conducting legal warfare against her other sworn enemy, D. Trump) is an example of how dismal the situation is, despite a solid 30 years of huge legal wins for gun owners by the NRA in SCOTUS decisions. Indeed, that's why the Left has been attacking ammo: SCOTUS has thrown out nearly all of their legal attacks against guns.

IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Indeed, there are times when hidden agendas exist in advocacy. Usually it’s easy to see and expose.

The effects of lead on mammals has been known for a century. How it happens has been understood for half a century. Where the lead toxicity in raptors is originating is an easy trail to follow. No conspiracy needed.

All that has to happen is a few western states, a few states in the northern tier, and throw in a province to ban lead core bullets and the cost of production will skyrocket, making it difficult for bullet manufacturers to keep producing.

Everything that has and will be said about lead core bullet prohibition has already been said about lead shot.

Difference is waterfowl hunters were unfamiliar with steel shot whereas today there is 30 years of institutional knowledge with copper bullets in the big game community. And allegedly bismuth is even better than lead shot.

Nobody has been a bigger fan of Partitions than me over the past few decades, I don’t like it one bit, but the science is easy to follow on this one.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Lead Bans are a backdoor attempt to Ban Guns, Ammo , and Hunting Period. The studies are skewed by Paid scientists same as The Globull warming Scam. Its about Money and Control. Lead is another natural substance as is Oil , Natural Gas, CO2 , Etc.
I've been thru severe lead and heavy metals poisoning and I survived after the doctors said I would be dead by 35 . I am 68 now . My exposure came from Industrial / Automotive paint and paint which is far more prevalent than any bullet or shot that sinks in the mud or ends up in the ground , and I can't even count the tonnage of lead from Gasoline along our highways that should have killed us all a long time ago if it was so bad.
I ain't buying what these people are selling....BS.

You know you might be facing your doom if all you get is a click when you are expecting a BOOM !
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Hunterapp
Other than cost per practice round I see little downside to breaking away from using lead core bullets for hunting.

Then I suspect there's also a whole lot you dont see.

inch by inch, chip chip chip chip.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I see lead bans coming, do I like it "Hell No". Numbers say that no matter what we think we aren't the majority any longer. When my state started talking about going lead free I worked up loads for my coyote rifles using lead free bullets, if the ban came I wouldn't miss a beat and be out hunting instead of knashing my teeth of not being able to hunt becAuse they banned lead bullets. It didn't happen, I still use lead core bullets BUT I have the components and data to keep right on hunting if it does.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
F
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
F
Switching from science to statistics; what is the probability of a single raptor dying from ingesting lead and to what cost are we willing to pay to prevent that?
To Economics
What is the opportunity cost of spending that money on lead reduction versus spending it on cancer research in humans?
Lastly: Differentiate the “harm” quotient of lead in bullets to the lithium in batteries.

Best regards,
F01

IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I've long believed that lead bans don't have anything to do with raptor death. That's just the line the anti's push. It has to do with making it to expensive for ordinary people to shoot. Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
At age 88, I'm still a handloader, shooter and hunter. My first hunting rifle used a cartridge containing priming material, powder and a lead bullet. It was a single-shot .22LR. I still have two of 'em, one a very accurate CZ bolt-action and the other a much older Rem semi 597. They still shoot lead. In addition, I've been a handloader for over 40 yrs. The vast majority of those thousands of rounds from .223 to .458 have had lead cores, and some cast lead. More recently, due to scarcity of most reloading "stuff", I've had to go Barnes TSX and TTSX. I prefer Noslers, and still have some Partitions and ABs on hand. In the past (and still) use a lot of Hornady SP-RPs and DGX. Also some Speers and Woodleighs.

The point? I don't have any signs of lead poisoning that's been dected or apparent. I do have a couple of ailements that were received from ancestry: diabetes and arthritis, which are under control when I do my part (keeping active) and taking meds.

A lot of so-called "science" is pseudo-science, based on hearsay, fear, politics and believed lies. A lie makes it around the earth (several times) while truth is getting its shoes on! Jesus said: "The devil is a lier and the father of lies"!

I watched a video a few years ago of an interview of perhaps the world's greatest climatologist: I forget his name off the top of my head: But he was an American head of that department in two renowned usinversities: MIT and Havard. He had written peer reviewed papers and books on the subject of climatology, and was highly respected and honored. By the time of that interview he was retired and no longer listened to! In summary, regarding global warming, he said there was nothing new in that science as the earth has gone through cycles since records have been kept (and he gave data and references as well as explaining in a clear and concise manner). His view of the current "science" was that it was ignoring history and a lot of other natural causes and focusing on carbon, and man's industral involvement far too much to the exclusion of history's cycles and natural global weather phenomonon, as well as the sun's own variable cycles.

Having been an amateur astronomer and telescope builder for many years, and a member of The Royal Astronomical Society of Canada, I've observed much of the same kind of "it looks like" science, despite other viable theories.

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

Last edited by CZ550; 04/07/24.

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
these dam liberal demorats are trying to ban lead in Minnesota this year too , here in Minnesota the liberals are using school youth state trap shooting as their formant saying these youths are getting lead poisoning from the shooting of lead in trap shells and touching the ammo too. it is just bull chit and its 2 female liberals pushing this law at the state capitol this year 2024 . the big thing is no kid has ever been sick or hurt from shooting trap yet and the state school shoot 10,000 kids compete and no one has hurt a toe nail in 10 years or longer yet. its all bull chit ! Pete53

Last edited by pete53; 04/07/24.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Fury01
Switching from science to statistics; what is the probability of a single raptor dying from ingesting lead and to what cost are we willing to pay to prevent that?
To Economics
What is the opportunity cost of spending that money on lead reduction versus spending it on cancer research in humans?
Lastly: Differentiate the “harm” quotient of lead in bullets to the lithium in batteries.

Best regards,
F01

I’d venture a guess that raptor deaths from wind powered generators exceeds raptor deaths by lead ingestion by 100 to 1. And that’s likely too conservative. Probably 10 times that.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by mart
Originally Posted by Fury01
To Economics

Best regards,
F01

I’d venture a guess that raptor deaths from wind powered generators exceeds raptor deaths by lead ingestion by 100 to 1. And that’s likely too conservative. Probably 10 times that.

but the peta liberals know it because they feel they are doing the green thing with wind mills, liberals really want to ban guns so they are trying one piece at a time.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Anti-lead is anti-hunting. Pure and simple.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Swampman700
Anti-lead is anti-hunting. Pure and simple.

Explain to me how it is anti hunting.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
I've long believed that lead bans don't have anything to do with raptor death. That's just the line the anti's push.........

Agreed. It's the anti-gun zealots married up with the environmental zealots using a justification that the courts have been allowing, especially since the federal and state 2nd Amendments have successfully shut down public disarming schemes. Funny thing; considering this situation, I came to realize that my favorite stocked military rifle ammo loads are steel core........both Chinese 7.62x39 and M855........No lead. Both loads were targeted by the government years ago as "cop killer" and "armor piercing". The Chinese ammo was successfully banned from importation. Indeed, importing ammo into Alaska from the Lower 48 was severely restricted utilizing DOT hazardous materials regulation over 20 years ago, and which has only recently been overcome with addition shipping fees with a only a single carrier/forwarder.

You have to purposely ignore the facts to believe that this is all accidental or coincidental. It's just more of the same; political and legal warfare. The kind that the political/lawyer class excel at, and the working class grudgingly allows........as long as society continues to be held together with their rotting rubber bands. But the times continue to become increasingly worrisome, and as worrisome as they are for me, I'm warmed by the thought that they must be quite terrifying for those in power..........

Last edited by Huntster; 04/07/24.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
It's not about saving some birds and varmints. It's about control and ending a way of life.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by erich
I see lead bans coming, do I like it "Hell No". Numbers say that no matter what we think we aren't the majority any longer. When my state started talking about going lead free I worked up loads for my coyote rifles using lead free bullets, if the ban came I wouldn't miss a beat and be out hunting instead of knashing my teeth of not being able to hunt becAuse they banned lead bullets. It didn't happen, I still use lead core bullets BUT I have the components and data to keep right on hunting if it does.
If my state bans lead, I'm going to keep using it anyway. I would suggest that by " working up a lead free load so that you can hunt coyotes," you are capitulating to these groups pushing the lead ban. Again, this isn't about lead, or lead free, this is about controlling what you can and can't do. I refuse to participate.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

483 members (007FJ, 160user, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 42 invisible), 2,231 guests, and 1,177 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,377
Posts18,488,483
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.