Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 25 1 2 3 4 5 6 24 25
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Read the original post. He said the church taught……. I have not read anywhere in the Bible God saying the Earth was flat or the the Sun revolved around the Earth. That’s man’s distortion. Check out the documentary “Is Genesis History” on Amazon. Explains how “science” is wrong about the geologic processes taking millions of years to form the Grand Canyon, etc.

L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
you bet and santa clause . easter bunny and tooth fairy!!!! IDIOT

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Any number of millions of years could have come between verse one and verse 2 of Genesis. In verse one God created the earth. Verse 2 should be translated more along the lines of "And the earth became a total devastation." according to the Hebrew.

Think about it just a second. God created the heavens and earth, yet it was without any form, and it was void? It is a simple mistranslation.

Isn't it possible that the fall of Satan and the war in Heaven caused destruction and chaos on earth and then God made man as we know man after the destruction of the old earth. That would answer the question of Neanderthal man and all the human variants. Possibly they were not descended from Adam but were before Adam. Possibly it has only been 6000 years since God made Adam and the earth is much older.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I believe in Jesus Christ as my Lord and Saviour. I believe that the Holy Bible is the inspired Word of God. Everything else is "small stuff" that I am not going to sweat...

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Ringman
Originally Posted by duke61
In Gen 1:1 it states that in the beginning (beginning of time, God is timeless but creation has a beginning) God created the heavens (the universe) and the earth. No one but God knows the age of the universe or this earth. One thing is clear that the heavens or the universe is older than the earth and so are the angels. In Job 38
“Where were you when I laid the earth’s foundation?
Tell me, if you understand.
Who marked off its dimensions? Surely you know!
Who stretched a measuring line across it?
On what were its footings set,
or who laid its cornerstone—
while the morning stars sang together
and all the angels[a] shouted for joy?
So the angels were already created when God created the earth and so were the heavens since angels had to have a place to live.
In Gen 1:2 it says that the earth was (in the original became) waste. God did not created this earth a waste and covered with water, since the original says "became" it means that some kind of judgment took place after its creation and then from Gen 1:3 and to the end of the chapter in six days God remade the earth from the wasteland it became. So yes since the remaking of the earth and creation of man is approximately 6k years. If you notice in verse 1 it says God created, that means He called into being something which was not there, but from then on He made, fashioned or formed from pre-existing matter.

The word you used for "became" in Verse Two is the same word used for every day of creation. It certainly does not mean there was some kind of judgement prior each day of creation or prior to Chapter Three when a judgement is mentioned. You are adding to God's Word.

If I am not mistaken what duke61 is describing is called "gap theory" which says that an interval of time passed between Genesis 1:1 and Genesis 1:2. Again, if I am not mistaken, the idea has been around a long time, maybe a couple hundred years, so perhaps its not solely an attempt to make the scriptural account of creation shoehorn into working with evolution and carbon dating. How big was the gap? As big as you want it I guess.

Is it true? I don't know, I was not there when God created the earth.

Did God create the earth in some process that causes the matter it consists of to appear to "science" to be a bazillion years old. I don't know, I wasn't there. Could be. It also could be that the procedure "science" uses to date things is flawed. I believe he created it.

Are the 6 days of creation literal 24 hour days? Some, using the verse from 2nd Peter about a day to the Lord being like a thousand years to give as a reason the earth could be bazillions of years old and therefore fit in without too much cognitive dissonance with the mainstream.

All kinds of ways to rationalize or ride the fence if you will.

I'll come to the point. I'm speaking to those of you who claim to be believers. The rest of you stop reading and have a nice day.

You believe that Jesus Christ was born in an extraordinary way, from a virgin mother.

You believe that Jesus Christ performed many great miracles including raising a guy from the dead and feeding 5000 people with a boy's lunch. Walked on water too.

You believe Jesus Christ was subjected to a Roman scourging, crucified, stabbed in the side with a spear, buried in a cave and yet 3 days later rose from the dead for your salvation.

Wouldn't it be easier to believe that a Roman soldier was Jesus's real father, the miracles were myths, and that Jesus really didn't die or his disciples stole his body and made the whole thing up? Or maybe it was all figurative or "allegory". All of these things have been said by unbelievers since day one.

Check your motives regarding what you believe about the origins of the earth. Jesus Christ quoted from Genesis at least a couple of times off the top of my head thus giving it his approval. Do you believe whatever it is you believe about the creation to avoid the persecution of being thought a fool by fools or is it some other reason?

If its the latter, you have problems imo. Its gonna get a lot worse than being laughed at by a fool. What will you do when they come after your money and or freedom? We are at the very brink of that as I type. How much will you compromise?

Paul said, writing to professing Christians, that they should test themselves to see if they are in the faith.

I think that is a good idea, I do it all the time when presented with "issues" of the day. Because at the end of the day, heaven is for believers. We are "saved by faith" but my concern is how half assed can your faith be and still get the job done? How much scripture can you ignore, or allegorize away until it becomes useless?

One of you start a thread asking "DID JESUS CHRIST RISE FROM THE DEAD" and see what you get.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

IC B2

L
LBP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by gregintenn
I have no idea how old the Earth is. I am a follower of Christ. There are lots of things I do not know. I believe what the Bible teaches. I further believe the Bible is not a complete history of everything that ever happened.
Exactly, who cares how old the earth is!

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
L
LBP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Orion2000
I believe in Jesus Christ as my Lord and Saviour. I believe that the Holy Bible is the inspired Word of God. Everything else is "small stuff" that I am not going to sweat...
Bingo, we have a winner!!!

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Jeepers.

maybe if flave returns y'all will have something else to worry about?
This place has turned into a shîthole
B type sycophants fawning and contributing to any and every post some new sock starts.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
RJY66,

The idea Peter's quote could be used to confuse the issue is ludicrous. Read the context. It's talking about God's patience and wanting all to come to repentance. In the Psalms God says a thousand years is like a watch in the night; which is four hours. Take a look at the following, which comes right out of the Ten Commandments.

“Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. For six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is a Sabbath of the Lord your God; on it you shall not do any work, you, or your son, or your daughter, your male slave or your female slave, or your cattle, or your resident who stays with you. For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea and everything that is in them, and He rested on the seventh day; for that reason the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy.

Trying to shoehorn a judgement into Genesis One is no different from the unbelievers distorting the rest of the Scripture. By the way, if God's definition of a day in the first day is not clear enough it should be clear enough in the fourth day for even slow people.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Its at least 6000 yrs old!

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by LegalEagle
Read the original post. He said the church taught……. I have not read anywhere in the Bible God saying the Earth was flat or the the Sun revolved around the Earth. That’s man’s distortion. Check out the documentary “Is Genesis History” on Amazon. Explains how “science” is wrong about the geologic processes taking millions of years to form the Grand Canyon, etc.

I specifically said "The Church" as opposed to quoting the Bible because it is quite evident that the truths of the Bible can and have been twisted or misunderstood by many over time. The hubris of the church leaders at times has distorted the bible and it's true meanings which has caused schisms within the faithful. This was the basis of the Lutheran faithful, among many others that felt the Catholic church at the time was either disregarding the bible or deliberately twisting its meaning for political or monetary gain.

I agree with many of you- the age of the earth, be it 6000 years or 6 Trillion is less important than what the Bible was assembled to teach us about how to live our life to glorify God . However, this old argument continues to come up in conversations here and in my personal interactions with people I know and consider well educated and religious. As adults and believers I think it is wise to be graceful to accept that they believe without ridiculing even if we believe 180 degrees differently and that is what I normally do. I say I "normally" do as there have been times when I have been confronted by militant religious people who feel it is their right to call me "other than acceptable titles" and insult my parentage when this subject comes up. At those times I respond in kind but I wonder if there was a better way to handle this situation in the future- after I calm down.

Faith works both ways- you can believe in God but in effect if you don't believe in the knowledge He has given us to understand our world are you not doubting his plan? If science can demonstrate that they can date objects, stars, the speed of light, and other seemingly impossible tasks just a century ago, was this ability not given to us by God? The rabbit hole is deep...

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Where does it say in Bible the earth was flat or that the sun revolved around the Earth? Watch “Is Genesis History” by Geologist Steve Austin.

It doesn't. Quite the opposite actually. Isaiah speaking of God, states He who sits above the "circle" of the earth.

Now how would somebody living around 700 B.C. who's world was only what he could see with his eye, know that. How would he know that more than 2600 years later when the first pictures of earth appeared when viewed from space, it is indeed a perfect circle.

More than 2000 years after those words were written some of the greatest minds of the day still believed the world was flat.

One is alone in a land so vast, there is only the mountains, the wind, and the eyes of God.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Willto
there was no daughter product in the beginning. Why?

The answer is, the parent nuclide & the daughter nuclide can be so chemically different that the crystal containing the parent nuclide will exclude the daughter nuclide at the time of formation.

no parent product leached in or out for billions of years. Why? nothing affected the radio-active rate for billions of years. Why?

It’s true that most radioactive isotopes and elements have half-lives ranging from microseconds to thousands of years. Any radioactivity left over from those elements has disappeared long, long ago. So how is it that such a long time later, there’s still plenty of radioactivity in the ground? Simple. The most common radioactive elements in the Earth’s crust all have long half lives, which is why they are still present. For example Thorium 232 has a half life of 14 billion years. U-238, the most common isotope of uranium, has a half-life of 4.5 billion years. That’s almost exactly the age of the Earth. Half the U-238 that was in the original material of the Earth is still there.

Maybe you would like to explain why the ocean is so limited in its salt content.

A paper by Livingstone in 1963 entitled "The sodium cycle and the age of the ocean" presents many reasons for why changing salinity of the sea is neither a consistent process nor expected to be over time and thus is useless as a chronometer. Data collected from 1950 to 2000 concludes that some parts of the ocean have indeed increased their salinity over those years but there are many oceans for which the salinity decreased over the same period of time. It seems that on balance the salinity of the oceans is not changing much at all.

Why are there almost no meteorites in the geological column?

The Earth actually does have craters, but they may not be as prominent as those on other celestial bodies due to various factors. Erosion, plate tectonics, and the atmosphere can all contribute to the gradual disappearance or masking of impact craters on Earth's surface. Additionally, Earth's active geological processes constantly reshape the planet's surface, further obscuring evidence of past impacts. However, there are still visible impact craters on Earth, such as the Barringer Crater in Arizona and the Chicxulub Crater in Mexico.

Why are there only enough novas and super novas for about seven thousand years?

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. You mask a claim as a question. What evidence do you have that there have been too few supernovae? Multiple supernovae are detected every year across the universe. But keep in mind that of the main sequence stars in the galaxy, 80% are M-type red dwarfs which have a lifetime of 200 billion years and masses of that are 20% of the Sun. So, immediately you can exempt those from going supernovae. The same goes for F, G and K-type stars with a mass only 1.5, 1.0 and 0.7 solar masses, respectively. Those classes of stars account for a total of 13.5% of the main sequence stars. O and B-type main sequence stars have masses of 10-50 times the mass of the Sun, so they will definitely go supernovae and become black holes. But collectively, they account for only about 0.1% of all stars.

Anything else you would like to know?

Well done, Sir!
Rational thinkers will appreciate your post as we realize that it takes little time and effort to grunt out a steaming pile of nonsense a great deal more refute it.
But don't expect a reply from Ringman, whose only refutation of facts is "Magic man in the sky done it" if he bothers to reply at all.

One unerring mark of the love of the truth is not entertaining any proposition with greater assurance than the proofs it is built upon will warrant. John Locke, 1690
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by ShadeTree
Where does it say in Bible the earth was flat or that the sun revolved around the Earth? Watch “Is Genesis History” by Geologist Steve Austin.

It doesn't. Quite the opposite actually. Isaiah speaking of God, states He who sits above the "circle" of the earth.

Now how would somebody living around 700 B.C. who's world was only what he could see with his eye, know that. How would he know that more than 2600 years later when the first pictures of earth appeared when viewed from space, it is indeed a perfect circle.

More than 2000 years after those words were written some of the greatest minds of the day still believed the world was flat.

A circle is a two dimensional shape. You can rationalize it all you want, it still mean two dimension, of in other words flat.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Willto,

Your question, "Anything else you would like to know?" is a bit arrogant. You are assuming I believe your answers. You did not answer my question about why you believe there was no daughter product in the beginning and why you believe none was leached in or out. I have the answer. You have to believe what you are taught by evolutionists. It's required by your world view.

About the novas: There was a non-creationist Ph.D. astronomer who developed a program that would track debris from novas and super novas for up to a million years. He contacted observatories around the world and requested any data they had. The oldest any astronomer sent he tracked to no more than 7,000 years old. There are about four per century. They discovered about 280 observed.

I, probably like you, am a parrot. I have no field experience or laboratory experience. I read what others have done and pass it on. I don't keep a file of fun info to pass on. I am convinced serious questioners will try to find the facts for themselves.

It's like a friend of mine who was a rabid evolutionist. Decades ago he seriously told me, "Christians have two brains. One is lost and the other is out looking for it." He decided to proof creationists wrong. He studied ten fields of study. You know, things like biology, chemistry, physics, astronomy, laws of probability, geology, paleontology, etc. He eventually told me he proved himself wrong in everything he studied. Recently, told me, "There would be a lot more serious Christians if there were a lot more serious skeptics." He eventually ended with three doctorates.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by RHOD

A circle is a two dimensional shape. You can rationalize it all you want, it still mean two dimension, of in other words flat.

Lol. Who's rationalizing here. A man in sandals who had no method of travel or of higher learning and as a man of that time was only aware of the small world that his eye could see, stated in writing that the earth is a circle. If you draw a circle and ask a 3 yr old what it is, they will tell you it's a circle. That's what the earth looks like when viewed from space and it was called by a man living in 700 B.C.

Historical fact. Sorry it's so hard for you to rationalize that.

One is alone in a land so vast, there is only the mountains, the wind, and the eyes of God.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by RHOD

Lol. Who's rationalizing here. A man in sandals who had no method of travel or of higher learning and as a man of that time was only aware of the small world that his eye could see, stated in writing that the earth is a circle. If you draw a circle and ask a 3 yr old what it is, they will tell you it's a circle. That's what the earth looks like when viewed from space and it was called by a man living in 700 B.C.

Historical fact. Sorry it's so hard for you to rationalize that.

You think Isaiah had the mental capacity of a 3 year old? Fair enough. (Actually I think both of my kids were able to understand the concept of a spherical Earth as 3 year olds. It’s not that hard.)

People knew the Earth was spherical since at least the 5th century BC, probably earlier but that is as far back as evidence for that knowledge goes back. The circumference of the Earth was figured out with an amazing level of accuracy by the 3rd century BC. They did this with some very simple observations and a basic understanding of geometry.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Caplock
Its at least 6000 yrs old!
Totally.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
No.

I think the latest modern human rise in civilization is about that old.

I think that every time man advances enough to wipe out humanity that is what happens. My guess would be seven times or so. I think the pyramids are part of the last era of humanity well before the pharaohs.

Last edited by RMiller2; 04/07/24.

It isn't energy that kills, its holes.
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
No. I don't believe anyone knows the age of the age earth ! Sandals found around a hundred miles from here, are carbon dated double that length of time! My 2 cents.

Page 4 of 25 1 2 3 4 5 6 24 25

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

632 members (160user, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 10ring1, 007FJ, 72 invisible), 2,631 guests, and 1,366 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,093
Posts18,483,005
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.