-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It appears you could use more screws. Not sure if the side that has been sanded through has wood the full length of the joint. I try to do full blocking on butt joints if possible at times I will sister a 2x along side a ceiling joist if need be. It’s not always easy to cut the old out perfectly centered on a ceiling joist. A whole lot easier to cut along side and sister a new 2x. Use paper tape and skip the mesh, float and feather wide. If I have to texture I will shoot the whole ceiling or wall it is cheap and looks better in my opinion. I also like a corner trowel for makeing that corner joint look right.

GB4

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Go w/ a pro...

GR

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
How difficult is texture to repaint? All I've ever seen was crumbly when you tried to paint it. In other words, texture trying to fall off when you try to roll it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WStrayer
You will need to tape the joints and then do a wide taper. Use a thinner joint compound and a 12" blade to really push it out past the edges. Save yourself a lot of mess by using a damp sponge to clean up the high spots before final sanding with a 220 grit paper.
For patches I like to use 1/4" luan plywood behind the drywall. I overlap under the existing and patch by 3-4". That gives yoou plenty of room for screws and provides a solid foundation thatt helps prevent high and low spots.

This guy knows a bit about drywall.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by slowr1der
I got lots of good advice in my flooring thread, so I'm back needing more home repair advice. I'm working on repairing a section of damaged drywall on my ceiling and I'm quickly finding out that I have a lot to learn. I cut the damaged section out and put in a patch. I attached it to the joists, along with using a furring strip on the section past the joist. However, I'm finding that it's slightly higher than the existing sheet rock in one corner, but then in the middle it's slightly lower. The section that's higher isn't a big issue as I will mud over it and try to get it level. It's the part that's proud that I'm unsure how to tackle. I've read numerous sites saying to feather it out more, but I'm just not understanding how that's going to hide a bump in it. I started sanding trying to get it closer and you can see it's starting to go through the paper. At this point I stopped and decided I needed to do more research. What's the best way to tackle this from here? I honestly have no idea what I'm doing as I have very little drywall experience and what I've done in the past hasn't always looked great, but I'm trying to learn.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

You do realize that you have to tape all joints, don't you ?
Stop playing with it, tape it and float it out (feather).

Typical rookie taping mistakes :
Not thinning out joint compound prior to starting work (mixing in water with drill motor and mixing blade)
Applying too much mud (joint compound) and creating a nightmare sanding job.
Not wiping tape flush and not getting mud under tape.
Not letting mud completely dry before applying second coat.

A sanding pole is very helpful when sanding overhead.

Rent a hopper type spray rig to texture your patches to match existing.
Practice on a scrap piece of board or cardboard to get your settings right.

B L M - Bureau of Land Management
IC B2

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Wear a mask when sanding

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Popcorn texture hides a lot......grin
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Direct_Drive
I got lots of good advice in my flooring thread, so I'm back needing more home repair advice. I'm working on repairing a section of damaged drywall on my ceiling and I'm quickly finding out that I have a lot to learn. I cut the damaged section out and put in a patch. I attached it to the joists, along with using a furring strip on the section past the joist. However, I'm finding that it's slightly higher than the existing sheet rock in one corner, but then in the middle it's slightly lower. The section that's higher isn't a big issue as I will mud over it and try to get it level. It's the part that's proud that I'm unsure how to tackle. I've read numerous sites saying to feather it out more, but I'm just not understanding how that's going to hide a bump in it. I started sanding trying to get it closer and you can see it's starting to go through the paper. At this point I stopped and decided I needed to do more research. What's the best way to tackle this from here? I honestly have no idea what I'm doing as I have very little drywall experience and what I've done in the past hasn't always looked great, but I'm trying to learn.

Not thinning out joint compound prior to starting work (mixing in water with drill motor and mixing blade)

One thing I will add is it is better to use a drywall sealer prior to texture. Texture dries differently over mud vs drywall. If you don’t seal prior to texture, the joints will be easier to detect.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Alan_C
Originally Posted by Direct_Drive

One thing I will add is it is better to use a drywall sealer prior to texture. Texture dries differently over mud vs drywall. If you don’t seal prior to texture, the joints will be easier to detect.
I've seen PVA primer/sealer applied before paint, but I've never seen it used prior to texture.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Mud and tape will not stick to brown paper

Wrong, it's done all the time and never failed. And unless I'm doing a lot of finishing, I use a setting type compound, like Durabond or Set and only mix what I need, and Durabond doesn't shrink like "green top" mud.

IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by WayneShaw

Wrong, it's done all the time and never failed. And unless I'm doing a lot of finishing, I use a setting type compound, like Durabond or Set and only mix what I need, and Durabond doesn't shrink like "green top" mud.
For patches , I’ve even used a brown paper bag with good results. I dampen the bag before applying .

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by WayneShaw

It will eventually fail.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
To Direct Drive. I’ve been in construction over 45 years. Age 64 now. I learned this info from a few top notch drywall guys. Being skeptical , I never tried it, but when you spray with a hopper prior to knockdown, you will notice the texture on the mud joints will dry quicker. When you knockdown , the splatter will be different in the field . I did a 1800 sq ft addition a few years ago and explained it to the home owner that should seal first and he said no. I sealed after texture with 2 coats of top paint and you could see the joints slightly. Owners thought it was a great job, but I was not satisfied. I say try it once and see for yourself. If you doubt my ability , please pm me with a number and I will show you some of my work. With all respect, Alan Cranfill

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don’t see any texture on the existing ceiling. Why all the chatter about texture?

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by steve4102
First, you exposed the brown paper that is underneath the white paper. Mud and tape will not stick to brown paper, it now has to be sealed with something like Gardz, Shellac, or Bin. Then it can be taped and muddled.

All three of those joints are considered “Butt” joints. Each one will require a minimum of four coats, starting with,

1) apply “All Purpose” compound ( Green Lid) and paper tape ( not mesh) with a 6 inch knife, let dry.

2) apply Lightweight Compound ( Blue Lid) with 10” knife , double wide making each joint roughly 18 inches wide , it’s called “a double ten”. Let dry

3) repeat the process with a 12 inch knife, it’s called a double 12.

4) repeat the process with a Triple 12 , one down the center and one on each side.

Yes, each joint needs to be that wide.

^This, don’t try and fill it in one or two coats, several thin coats and build it up and widen it out.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
To Direct Drive. I’ve been in construction over 45 years. Age 64 now. I learned this info from a few top notch drywall guys. Being skeptical , I never tried it, but when you spray with a hopper prior to knockdown, you will notice the texture on the mud joints will dry quicker. When you knockdown , the splatter will be different in the field . I did a 1800 sq ft addition a few years ago and explained it to the home owner that should seal first and he said no. I sealed after texture with 2 coats of top paint and you could see the joints slightly. Owners thought it was a great job, but I was not satisfied. I say try it once and see for yourself. If you doubt my ability , please pm me with a number and I will show you some of my work. With all respect, Alan Cranfill
Always prime first.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Priming first couldn't hurt.
I have noticed different techniques and tools from one side of the country to the other.
The best work I've seen is in the East. I have a friend who does "blueboard" in the Northeast and that's the best work that I've seen.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by NVhntr
I don’t see any texture on the existing ceiling. Why all the chatter about texture?
Im not sure if it is or not. Expanding pic looks like a orange peel texture.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Take a pencil
Circle the bump.
Lots of paint around the bump before you paint the bump.

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RHClark
How difficult is texture to repaint? All I've ever seen was crumbly when you tried to paint it. In other words, texture trying to fall off when you try to roll it.
I only had a issue one time. Not sure if it was the old oil base paint that was sprayed over. Gas bubbles were coming though during painting. Didnt dry and I had used pva primer first.
I dont use the spray can texture and dont have issues with crumbling texture. I always use a pva primer before painting I dont roll over the same spot over and over.
No if your talking a pop corn ceiling, I have no experience with that other than removing a bunch.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

617 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 12344mag, 160user, 1936M71, 66 invisible), 2,520 guests, and 1,356 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,949
Posts18,480,378
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.