Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 25 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 24 25
C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Give or take 4 Billion. I seen dinosuroses and bare foot men foot prints in the same creek myself!Glen Rose Texas by golly. Mike Johnson runs his own creationist parks too ya know. Even he knows.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Have no idea how old it is and neither does anyone else.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Have no idea how old it is and neither does anyone else.

+1....bob

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by RHOD
Originally Posted by ShadeTree
Originally Posted by RHOD
Originally Posted by LegalEagle
Where does it say in Bible the earth was flat or that the sun revolved around the Earth? Watch “Is Genesis History” by Geologist Steve Austin.

It doesn't. Quite the opposite actually. Isaiah speaking of God, states He who sits above the "circle" of the earth.

Now how would somebody living around 700 B.C. who's world was only what he could see with his eye, know that. How would he know that more than 2600 years later when the first pictures of earth appeared when viewed from space, it is indeed a perfect circle.

More than 2000 years after those words were written some of the greatest minds of the day still believed the world was flat.

A circle is a two dimensional shape. You can rationalize it all you want, it still mean two dimension, of in other words flat.

Lol. Who's rationalizing here. A man in sandals who had no method of travel or of higher learning and as a man of that time was only aware of the small world that his eye could see, stated in writing that the earth is a circle. If you draw a circle and ask a 3 yr old what it is, they will tell you it's a circle. That's what the earth looks like when viewed from space and it was called by a man living in 700 B.C.

Historical fact. Sorry it's so hard for you to rationalize that.

You think Isaiah had the mental capacity of a 3 year old? Fair enough. (Actually I think both of my kids were able to understand the concept of a spherical Earth as 3 year olds. It’s not that hard.)

People knew the Earth was spherical since at least the 5th century BC, probably earlier but that is as far back as evidence for that knowledge goes back. The circumference of the Earth was figured out with an amazing level of accuracy by the 3rd century BC. They did this with some very simple observations and a basic understanding of geometry.

Nice try. No I don't think Isaiah had the mental capacity of a 3 year old. But you already knew that.

As far as the rest of it, Isaiah had it figured out in the 8th century BC, and the smartest minds of the day were arguing about it more than 2000 years later.

One is alone in a land so vast, there is only the mountains, the wind, and the eyes of God.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
According to some scientists it’s at least 85 billion years old.

Fück Joe byron
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Willto
It’s true that most radioactive isotopes and elements have half-lives ranging from microseconds to thousands of years. Any radioactivity left over from those elements has disappeared long, long ago. So how is it that such a long time later, there’s still plenty of radioactivity in the ground? Simple. The most common radioactive elements in the Earth’s crust all have long half lives, which is why they are still present. For example Thorium 232 has a half life of 14 billion years. U-238, the most common isotope of uranium, has a half-life of 4.5 billion years. That’s almost exactly the age of the Earth. Half the U-238 that was in the original material of the Earth is still there.

That's not how it works at all. Elements heavier than iron are all forged during supernovae events and it's at that point radioactive decay begins. That half the U238 remains since the world has formed means nothing in establishing the age of the earth. In order to determine that, we use zircon crystals. When formed, zircon has a an affinity for uranium while at the same time has an aversion for Pb. The other useful fact about zircon is it's extremely durable. It doesn't erode away like quartz, limestone, feldspar and other naturally occurring minerals. So, it's therefore assumed only uranium and no lead was captured within zicron crystals when they were formed. One measures the ratio of Uranium to lead to establish the age of when the crystals were formed. It's also why zircon is referred to as the "Time Lord". Thus far, the oldest zircon crystals found are 4.4 billion years old from the Jack Hills range in Western Australia. It also may contradict that the first 500 million years of earth were a molten hellscape.

Yours in Liberty,

BL
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Hammer2506
According to some scientists it’s at least 85 billion years old.

Link please.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Think, from memory, 4.2 or 4.8 Billion Years old.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by champlain_islander
Nope I believe the earth is approximately 4.5 billion years old

Ditto this^^^^^

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Ringman
Willto,

Your question, "Anything else you would like to know?" is a bit arrogant. You are assuming I believe your answers. You did not answer my question about why you believe there was no daughter product in the beginning and why you believe none was leached in or out. I have the answer. You have to believe what you are taught by evolutionists. It's required by your world view.

About the novas: There was a non-creationist Ph.D. astronomer who developed a program that would track debris from novas and super novas for up to a million years. He contacted observatories around the world and requested any data they had. The oldest any astronomer sent he tracked to no more than 7,000 years old. There are about four per century. They discovered about 280 observed.

I, probably like you, am a parrot. I have no field experience or laboratory experience. I read what others have done and pass it on. I don't keep a file of fun info to pass on. I am convinced serious questioners will try to find the facts for themselves.

It's like a friend of mine who was a rabid evolutionist. Decades ago he seriously told me, "Christians have two brains. One is lost and the other is out looking for it." He decided to proof creationists wrong. He studied ten fields of study. You know, things like biology, chemistry, physics, astronomy, laws of probability, geology, paleontology, etc. He eventually told me he proved himself wrong in everything he studied. Recently, told me, "There would be a lot more serious Christians if there were a lot more serious skeptics." He eventually ended with three doctorates.

This really isn't even a debate of Christians vs non Christians. There is ABSOLUTELY NO REASON a Christian has to believe the earth is only 6000 years old. This young earth crap is mostly a US evangelical movement. Many Christians have no problems believing in both God and a very old universe. It all comes down being able to accept that some things in the Bible do not have to be taken completely LITERALLY!

Let me given you an example. Are you a "Born Again" Christian. The Bible says you must be reborn or born again to see the kingdom of heaven. So, does this mean that all Christians have to crawl back up into a woman's uterus and be pushed out through her vagina in a second birth? Of course not. The term is being used "FIGURATIVELY" not literally. WOW! What a concept huh? The Bible does speak figuratively, metaphorically, and sometimes tries to teach moral lessons through parables that are not meant to be taken literally either.

Evidence that the earth is far older than 6000 years is so glaringly obvious that in order to believe such nonsense you have to engage in WILLFULL IGNORANCE. Young Earthers engage in the worse conformation bias of any group in the history of earth. They disregard any evidence that clearly refutes their case. They often seize small bits of information that seem to support their claims if not placed in the proper context. Then they of course intentionally fail to provide the context. Sadly, a whole branch of pseudo-scientific BS has been pumped onto the internet for people like yourselves to try to use as if it were real evidence in such debates. Like the bogus claim that the oceans should be saltier. Or that there haven't been enough supernovas. Both are ridiculous notions debunked long ago but people like yourself know that most people at a forum such as this don't possess the science knowledge to refute such claims and most who could won't bother to waste their time. People like yourself start with a belief and then try to selectively assemble only good sounding nuggets plucked from some bogus young earth website. You don't let the evidence lead you to the truth. You start with something you MUST BELIEVE and reject anything that contradicts it.

For myself on the other hand, it doesn't make a tinkers damn to me whether the earth is 6000 years old or 4.5 billion. And that fact allows me to look at the evidence objectively. It would have absolutely no negative impact on my life whatsoever if the evidence showed that the earth was only 6000 years old. It's just that the evidence doesn't show that.

IC B3

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Evolution takes a bigger leap of faith, then Creation.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
W
Campfire Greenhorn
Online Content
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Yes

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by LegalEagle
Where does it say in Bible the earth was flat or that the sun revolved around the Earth? Watch “Is Genesis History” by Geologist Steve Austin.

It doesn't. Quite the opposite actually. Isaiah speaking of God, states He who sits above the "circle" of the earth.

Now how would somebody living around 700 B.C. who's world was only what he could see with his eye, know that. How would he know that more than 2600 years later when the first pictures of earth appeared when viewed from space, it is indeed a perfect circle.

More than 2000 years after those words were written some of the greatest minds of the day still believed the world was flat.
oblate spheroid but close enough

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by wabigoon

Nah, not even close.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
We worry about things that matter. Age of the earth certainly doesn't matter.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by wabigoon

No, it doesn't.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by rost495
We worry about things that matter. Age of the earth certainly doesn't matter.

Unless you want to get things out of it, like petroleum and minerals. Then it helps to know about the subsurface, and how it got to be like it is.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Willto
Originally Posted by Ringman
Willto,

Your question, "Anything else you would like to know?" is a bit arrogant. You are assuming I believe your answers. You did not answer my question about why you believe there was no daughter product in the beginning and why you believe none was leached in or out. I have the answer. You have to believe what you are taught by evolutionists. It's required by your world view.

About the novas: There was a non-creationist Ph.D. astronomer who developed a program that would track debris from novas and super novas for up to a million years. He contacted observatories around the world and requested any data they had. The oldest any astronomer sent he tracked to no more than 7,000 years old. There are about four per century. They discovered about 280 observed.

I, probably like you, am a parrot. I have no field experience or laboratory experience. I read what others have done and pass it on. I don't keep a file of fun info to pass on. I am convinced serious questioners will try to find the facts for themselves.

It's like a friend of mine who was a rabid evolutionist. Decades ago he seriously told me, "Christians have two brains. One is lost and the other is out looking for it." He decided to proof creationists wrong. He studied ten fields of study. You know, things like biology, chemistry, physics, astronomy, laws of probability, geology, paleontology, etc. He eventually told me he proved himself wrong in everything he studied. Recently, told me, "There would be a lot more serious Christians if there were a lot more serious skeptics." He eventually ended with three doctorates.

This really isn't even a debate of Christians vs non Christians. There is ABSOLUTELY NO REASON a Christian has to believe the earth is only 6000 years old. This young earth crap is mostly a US evangelical movement. Many Christians have no problems believing in both God and a very old universe. It all comes down being able to accept that some things in the Bible do not have to be taken completely LITERALLY!

Let me given you an example. Are you a "Born Again" Christian. The Bible says you must be reborn or born again to see the kingdom of heaven. So, does this mean that all Christians have to crawl back up into a woman's uterus and be pushed out through her vagina in a second birth? Of course not. The term is being used "FIGURATIVELY" not literally. WOW! What a concept huh? The Bible does speak figuratively, metaphorically, and sometimes tries to teach moral lessons through parables that are not meant to be taken literally either.

Evidence that the earth is far older than 6000 years is so glaringly obvious that in order to believe such nonsense you have to engage in WILLFULL IGNORANCE. Young Earthers engage in the worse conformation bias of any group in the history of earth. They disregard any evidence that clearly refutes their case. They often seize small bits of information that seem to support their claims if not placed in the proper context. Then they of course intentionally fail to provide the context. Sadly, a whole branch of pseudo-scientific BS has been pumped onto the internet for people like yourselves to try to use as if it were real evidence in such debates. Like the bogus claim that the oceans should be saltier. Or that there haven't been enough supernovas. Both are ridiculous notions debunked long ago but people like yourself know that most people at a forum such as this don't possess the science knowledge to refute such claims and most who could won't bother to waste their time. People like yourself start with a belief and then try to selectively assemble only good sounding nuggets plucked from some bogus young earth website. You don't let the evidence lead you to the truth. You start with something you MUST BELIEVE and reject anything that contradicts it.

For myself on the other hand, it doesn't make a tinkers damn to me whether the earth is 6000 years old or 4.5 billion. And that fact allows me to look at the evidence objectively. It would have absolutely no negative impact on my life whatsoever if the evidence showed that the earth was only 6000 years old. It's just that the evidence doesn't show that.

That all depends. If you belong to one of the sects that believes the Bible is the unerring, or perfect word of God, then you must believe the generations of blood line of Jesus listed in the NT give a timeline of the earth back to Adam, and hence, reveals the age of the Earth.

Keep in mind, if there's no Garden of Eden, there is no Original Sin.

No original Sin, no need for Jesus.

No Jesus, no Salvation.

So, yea, there are Christians who belief in Salvation hinges on a Young Earth.

Specifically, this is the theology of Ken Ham.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
If you belong to one of the sects that believes the Bible is the unerring, or perfect word of God, then you must believe the generations of blood line of Jesus listed in the NT give a timeline of the earth back to Adam, and hence, reveals the age of the Earth.
A lotta people feel that way about the Bible (that “it’s the unerring, or perfect word of God”) while at the same time realizing that the Bible clearly sometimes speaks figuratively, metaphorically, allegorically, and sometimes teaches through parables…NONE of which are meant to be taken literally.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I am a long ways from being atheist but I can see how a thinking young person could be pushed that direction even by self professed friends of Jesus and other believers. All this stuff about the road to salvation, young earth, etc., etc.

I have a forty year old son and we put him in a Catholic K through 12 school to keep him out of the public zoo. At about 9 years of age he came to me and told me he couldn't believe they were serious about what they taught in the mandatory 1 hour religion class. I told him to just listen, take the tests, and dismiss the foolish doctrine.

When you have 400 sects of Christianity in one country some of whom are seriously opposed to each other what is an outsider looking in to think. Some folks are so wed to a literal interpretation that they cannot acknowledge some of their beliefs as ludicrous. Obvious contradictions are explained away by some idiotic interpretation that I would guess was come up with by some half literate preacher way back when. Sophism is an art form in some of the more hard shell fundamentalist adherents of Christianity.

In any case I would say Jesus' "friends'' do his teachings far more harm than any questions by agnostics and atheists.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Page 5 of 25 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 24 25

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (160user, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 01Foreman400, 1234, 64 invisible), 2,448 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,475
Posts18,489,932
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.