Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I roll my filets in egg and then shake them in a bag filled with crushed saltines and Lowery’s salt. Then deep fry them. Delish! One of the guys I fish with sprays the filets with spray butter then sprinkles them with lemon pepper and salt and pepper. Then he smokes them for an hour at 240 degrees.

Ron

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Orwell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I myself am no lover of fish for a meal. That being said, I learned this past year, after a trip to lake Erie taking my dad and another friend, that Walleye is a juice worth the squeeze. Absolutely DELICIOUS.

Last edited by CrimsonTide; 04/07/24.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I'm fishing LSC mid-May and hope to have the same success. I'm told once the water hits around 52F the walleyes migrate south by the tens of millions.

Medics bury their mistakes..
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ohio7x57
I roll my filets in egg and then shake them in a bag filled with crushed saltines and Lowery’s salt. Then deep fry them. Delish! One of the guys I fish with sprays the filets with spray butter then sprinkles them with lemon pepper and salt and pepper. Then he smokes them for an hour at 240 degrees.

Ron
Try in this order,

Flour, then egg, then the coating of choice, I really like Panko bread crumbs…

Or, for pure simplicity and a healthy meal, bake the fillets in the oven, or on the Weber grill for 15 minutes, soft shell Fish tacos, Becoming our favorite, guacamole, lime or lemon, cilantro……or what ever you prefer for condiments,

Been fishing Erie for at least 20 years, It’s called Walleye capitol of the world for a reason.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Kenneth

Ron
Try in this order,

Or, for pure simplicity and a healthy meal, bake the fillets in the oven, or on the Weber grill for 15 minutes, soft shell Fish tacos, Becoming our favorite, guacamole, lime or lemon, cilantro……or what ever you prefer for condiments,

Been fishing Erie for at least 20 years, It’s called Walleye capitol of the world for a reason.
l

Thanks Kenneth! I’ll give that a try.

Ron

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Orwell
IC B2

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Kenneth

Ron
Try in this order,

Add a bunch of dry Italian seasoning to the Panko bread crumbs and you'll have the way I do it!

[Linked Image from images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com]

/John grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Fair enough,,,,,,and I’ll throw this out there for the tacos……..

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Kenneth,

That Spicy Chili Lime sounds great - going to try that!

/John

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Walleye and beer batter are a match made in heaven, anything else is a sacrilege.... 😁
I started fishing Lake Erie when I got back in country in '78. My dad kept a boat in dry storage at the Breast Bay Marina. We'd hammer the schidt out of them, it was pre-zebra muscle days. In '88 I bought my own boat, would skip a day of work and run down to pick up my dad and then spend the day on the water. Wasn't uncommon for us to run out to West Sister Island chasing the bigger fish. By late June we'd switch to fishing Saginaw Bay for walleye. There were a few trips where we'd make the hour and a half drive to fish salmon and lake trout out of Port Austin as it was breaking daylight, head home with a limit of fish, take the salmon gear off the boat and put walleye gear onboard. Then we'd run up to Linwood and play with the walleye in Saginaw Bay until sunset.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great to hear the fishing stories about lake Erie and Ontario. Grew up in Chili a western town near Rochester. Before I finished Oswego in 72, we used to hammer white bass near the power plant in Oswego in the spring. In Oak Orchard we caught white bass and a fish everyone called white perch. They looked like white base with no stripes. I moved to Arizona in 72 and heard the trout and salmon took over and the white bass disappeared. Then the gobi came in and Ontario has huge smallmouths now. For you Erie fisherman: are there gobis in Erie too? Catch a few walleyes for me! FYI we catch walleyes out west too, in Powell, Apache and in NM’s Elephant Butte. They are an occasional catch.

Last edited by Azshooter; 04/07/24.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There are goby’s in all the Great Lakes, Ka-trillions of them.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That and zebra mussels !!!!!

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I went walleye fishing on Lake Erie yesterday with 5 other guys. Earliest I’ve ever been out.
png[/img][/url]

Ron
So glad the fishing is good for you. When I be was a kid, there was a moratorium on fushi g Kake Erie due to high mercury levels from Fird Motor Co River Rouge plant politics
polluting it up .

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I went walleye fishing on Lake Erie yesterday with 5 other guys. Earliest I’ve ever been out.
png[/img][/url]

Ron
So glad the fishing is good for you. When I be was a kid, there was a moratorium on fushi g Kake Erie due to high mercury levels from Fird Motor Co River Rouge plant politics
polluting it up .

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ron
I think you’ll like this historic piece on jake Erie

https://powderhook.com/lazarus-lake-part-1/

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Gut: I am sure that did not help any.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Ron: I was told perch netting is not allowed around the Islands? Perch populations are much better in the Western Basin.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Ohio7x57,, I have heard that lake Erie walleye are in trouble... Not that there are not enough, but there is such good spawning and they fish have gotten o big, including Sheepshead . They are concerned about them spawning into the billions and running out of food. This is why they raised their limit and their possesion limit.. Have you heard anything like that? As for me, I only went one time 30 yrs. ago with a bunch of rich guys . Me being a kid, it set me back so I never went back. I fish The Bay of Green Bay now days and mostly for northern and smallmouth... They also got huge once they learned to eat Gobies. The bigger news in the bay is the size of the muskies. Catch a big un ? Later, Ihookem.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by hatari
png[/img][/url]

Ron
polluting it up .

Huh???
Wasn't only Ford, there was a steel plant in Wyandotte with coal fired cupola, Monroe and Toledo had coal fired electric plants right on the lake shore. And if that didn't kill ya the radiation from the Fermenti nuke plant would make your 🍆 grow larger. 🤣

I knew a few guys that would get up a four-man crew, head down to Lake Erie with two sets of coolers. They'd leave out of one port in the morning and catch a limit of walleye, pull the boat and go get some lunch. Then head to a different marina, swap coolers and head out for an afternoon of fishing. Two hour drive back home, unzip the walleye with an electric knife while drinking some beer. Life was good! 😁

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You fishing out of Port Clinton?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 22magnut, 56 invisible), 2,499 guests, and 1,294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,185
Posts18,484,840
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.