Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Prarie_goat,

What's needlessly complicated?

I've not passed by a hardware store that didn't have devcon high strength nor a Napa that didn't have permatex high strength.

A paste wax? Literally any paste wax will act as a release agent.

Heet to thin the primer-coat? Every Alaskan up here has a box of heet for winter fuel use.

Trimming up fiberglass pulp? Shoot, I'd mail anybody an envelope of fiberglass scrap. But, same deal, I've not passed a hardware store or a Napa that doesn't have a small piece of fiberglass.

Regarding the partall # 10, a quart is less that $10 dollars. It'll last a life time of bedding rifles.

So if you use rags instead of tampons for 1 month, you should be able to afford it:

https://compositeenvisions.com/product/rexco-partall-pva-10-spray-on-moldrelease-1-gallon-486/

Last edited by mainer_in_ak; 04/05/24.
GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Yes. That is all needlessly complicating the matter.

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
The late Robert Gradous has a good two step tutorial on You Tube. His results pretty much speak for themselves .

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I've used jb weld steel with decent success. Lasted a couple years now.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
I haven't bedded one for a few years but I did several of my rifles about a dozen years ago. I tried marine tex and various other things and settled on devcon 10110 as a favorite. I often used kiwi clear shoe polish as a release agent.

I also tried various ways of bedding the lug. Some said to tape the front or front and sides of the lug for some space. I tried different things and iirc I settled on just a few layers of tape just on the bottom of the lug and then some shoe wax on the top of the tape so it would release and could be removed out of the lug recess.

I started with taping the parts of the stock around the inletting and then cleaning off some of the excess as it sets up just a bit. Later I started just cleaning off the excess that oozed out with q tips dipped in ww40. I'm not sure if the ww40 was a good idea or not because it could have effected the devcon somebut I just used it to clean the edges.

I need to buy some new devcon because it's time to do some more rifles. I'll have to relearn a few things so thanks for the info here. I got some bad out if date devcon last time I bought some off of scamazon so I need to find a new source.

A few of the rifles I bedded a dozen or so years back are still some of my favorites and most consistent rifles. I can take them out of the stock to clean them and then put them back together and they still shoot to the same place. My bedding jobs never had perfect clean lines but most of them were functional and have held up.

Thanks for the info and reminders.

Bb

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Note to self: don't go out shooting at -30 F

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I would like to try permatex or devcon. How many packages does it take to bed a rifle?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Wednesday morning it was -20 ambient at work(-45 the week prior) and I arrived home at 55 degrees. A few bones in this AM's rain,but as a whole it's 75-degrees warmer. Hint.

Toted a Howie Carbon Mini(bedded) 6 ARC and it did as it always do,with POA aligning POI. Didn't shoot past 1100yds,but DOPE was money. Hint.

Only landed (10) Steelhead today and nothing over 38". Will likely tote a 7" RPM Montucky Speedmire(bedded) in the the early AM,if only to mix things up. Bought a new fhuqking iMAC and didn't realize that there was no SD slot and that its USB ports were downsized,so I'm stacking pics as wares arrive. Hint.

Pard arrives next week and threatens to kill a Bear,so there will be Booners atop the Chrometitude. It's been MANY decades(1984),since I've schlepped an unbedded rifle. I remember that Living Walnut malady well,unfortunately. Hint.

Making ice cubes ain't "tough". Hint.

Just sayin'.............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Heck yeah, make that money and then get the hell oughtta that cold.
If it wasn't for the dmn sled dogs, southeast looking real good.

A grainy/boney piece of fkn cannibalistic Northern pike can't compare "hint hint." .......

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I re-bedded a Kimber 7-08 with JB Weld. Not sure it was worth the effort. It still is stable and bullets hit where I aim a long ways out.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Stick,
Please quit talking steelheads. It's been a long winter, and the geese haven't even returned yet. I've got a new lake trout reel on my workbench and that's months away.

Just post a pic or two for us. I'll clean up the drool.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Truth.
It’s been a looooong ass winter.
Swans back, but no geese yet in sc either.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by VernAK
Stick,
Please quit talking steelheads. It's been a long winter, and the geese haven't even returned yet. I've got a new lake trout reel on my workbench and that's months away.

Just post a pic or two for us. I'll clean up the drool.

The geese are on the way. We have been covered in them here close to the Oregon/Washington border the last few weeks and they are eating the farmers' winter crops faster than they can grow so I assume they will be heading your direction soon...

But one of these days I will find Stick's spots and fish them.. hopefully he won't catch me... wink

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
JB Weld 8281 Steel reinforced epoxy for me. Coldest I can recall having it out in was -20F ambient calling coyotes. Admittedly, I didn't take my rifle apart out in the field that day though.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Landed (6) this morning and lost (3) fhuqking around,with a pard in tow that never even bumped anything. Visiting pard arrives Friday and bringing me a couple card readers. Mainly shot video today and sometimes I forget how good I am. Hint.(grin)

Our Geese never leave. Hint.

Just sayin'.................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You're killing me Larry....;)

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Not sure what the issue is with JB. It doesn’t shrink and stays tight. Works well imo. It’s the best stuff you can use for skim bedding actions and also for bedding scopes and bedding mounts to actions.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I've got a stock sitting here done with A.G. gel probably 30+ years ago, it's still good. That one was done by somebody else before I started doing my own. I've used A.C. gel for the majority of the ones I've done and Devcon Steel for a few. I can't tell the difference in the quality of the final result. I'll stick with the gel. Cheaper and easy to get locally if I run out and want it in a hurry.

Besides, if the ones I do from here on out last 30 years, I'll likely be dead and gone.

Dave.

Those who are always shooting off at the mouth usually aren't shooting straight.

Build a man a fire and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

www.wvcdl.org
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Little info on substrates:

For those that have mentioned powdered metals being added to epoxy, this actually decreases the strength of the epoxy. Powered dog sh it would do the same thing.

The fiberous strands in a substrate are what actually strengthen epoxy. Think kevlar, fiberglass of carbon fiber pulp.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Tag

Go Bearcats
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

288 members (1minute, 204guy, 16penny, 1beaver_shooter, 1_deuce, 219 Wasp, 39 invisible), 2,402 guests, and 1,343 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,112
Posts18,483,438
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.