Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#19367008 04/07/24
F
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
Interested in opinions as to waterfowl bucket list hunts. If you could hunt any waterfowl in the continental US, what would it be and where? Thanks in advance.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Always was intrigued by those big sea ducks in Maine

DON’T BE TOO PROUD OF THIS TECHNOLOGICAL TERROR YOU’VE CONSTRUCTED. THE ABILITY TO DESTROY A PLANET IS INSIGNIFICANT NEXT TO THE POWER OF THE FORCE.

- Darth Vader
F
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
That sounds interesting.

W
WMR Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Mallards are always worth chasing. Maybe in a new place. I’ve got a few ideas in mind. Specks are exotic to me. I’ll plan a trip one day targeting them. No sea ducks for me. I like to eat what I shoot.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Emperor Goose, Stellars Eider, Spectacled Eider, and Puffin are about all that left on my bucket list.

A decent male Old Squaw would be nice too, it would be an interesting mount.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
One more trip back to the PNW, some of the very best public duck hunting in the country.

I'm old now, still hunt a lot but a price be dammed hunt with a lot of birds, a guide putting out the decoys, a warm blind, a lodge with good food and comfy beds would be fun.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I suppose it is what is uncommonly/never seen in my area.
I rarely see a cinnamon teal on the west side here, when I do the season is over and they are on the refuge anyway. Blue winged teal usually are not in full color here either. Consequently I've shot neither.

I have shot and eaten a number of Eurasian wigeon, which might be a mountable bird for some others?

King eider, harlequin, and a few others will likely remain on the grail list forever

W
WMR Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
My true bucket list hunt would be waterfowling in New Zeland. From what I've seen, the duck hunting can be phenomenal, Canada geese are pests and the scenery is fabulous. I might even try to catch a few trout. It's too far to take my dog, though. Hunting with her is a big part of the fun. Still,......maybe someday.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Have hunted mallards in timber adjacent to river in my neck of the woods. Never really had consistent shoots but, when it was on it was something special. Wouldn’t mind going somewhere for a timber hunt, don’t know where.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
My travel hunts for ducks now are with my group of buddies. We are always targeting puddle ducks and while we've had some fantastic hunts, it's mostly just about having a good time and having a guide service do some work and break their gear, instead of us.

I suppose maybe one day I'll shoot a sea duck or two, buy have little interest.

Last edited by TimberRunner; 04/08/24.
IC B3

L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I’ve never duck hunted but often thought about it. That said I like teal I’ve always thought they were beautiful.

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I want to do a snow goose hunt with no limits, no magazine capacities and target rich environment.

I also want my Airedale to retrieve as many different species as possible.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by LBP
I’ve never duck hunted but often thought about it. That said I like teal I’ve always thought they were beautiful.

Did you ever notice how skinny their thighs are?

Just sayin'.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Since AK is part of the NA continent... and I have shot almost all of our ducks, geese, and cranes, though rarely arf they prime... would love to shoot 2 spectacular gadwalls. one to mount and one for tying flies.

A lot of the bucket list birds from elsewhere are everyday birds here. Harlequins are a serious favorite and virtual gimme. NR hunters are only allowed 3-4 per year now, but residents can shoot 10 per day???

If I was a WA, OR, or CA waterfowler I would head to PWS and shoot a dusky just to get even with them for shutting down so many areas, so many times. We only get to shoot 3 per day...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Emperor geese are open again here...

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by fatherof4
Interested in opinions as to waterfowl bucket list hunts. If you could hunt any waterfowl in the continental US, what would it be and where? Thanks in advance.
You start off with "bucket list" and then decided to limit it to the U.S. I am sure there is good, even great, duck hunting in the U.S. I am absolutely positive there is BETTER duck hunting outside of the U.S. Specifically in Argentina where the U.S. dollar stretches pretty far. I did a mixed bag hunt last year. Mostly ducks, but hunted perdiz and pigeon/dove as well. I will never hunt ducks in the U.S. again. Not worth the time/money. This is my AAR on ShotgunWorld:

Original Thread on SGW

I just back 10 days ago. I did mixed bag with 4 Seasons Argentina (4 Seasons Adventures Argentina). The lodge is about 15km North of Darregueira which is itself about 180km North-Northwest of Bahia Blanca. It's still in the Buenos Aires province. I spent 5 days hunting. Mostly ducks, but did hunt perdiz 1 day (those buggers are HARD to hunt) and dove/pigeon twice. I don't have a full write-up done, but will answer your questions here:

• There is a huge drought in Argentina right now. So, "normal" hunting spots are not necessarily being used. My outfitter couldn't do ducks in their normal spot as all the ponds were dry.
  • If you are a duck hunter, there is NOTHING like hunting ducks in Argentina. 3-5 ducks in the U.S. is something I will never do again. Not when I got 30 every single morning. The first afternoon I got 30 ducks in around 45 minutes. It's unreal.
  • According to the Argentinians, Cordoba is no longer the place for Dove. Entre Rios is. Most places are a 2 hour drive from Buenos Aires. Also, your golden dorado fishing is in Entre Rios.
  • The outfitter I used has their dove lodge in Entre Rios now instead of Cordoba. They apparently moved all their operations there. For whatever reason, there are more dove in Entre Rios than Cordoba now.
  • The best dove hunting is their Spring (September - December)
  • The best duck hunting is June - July. Temps will likely be below freezing in the morning, but rain is highly unlikely.
  • Red Stag is during the rut in March.
  • No clue on perdiz and I am not sure pigeon have a "good" season.
  • Pigeon is the most fun to hunt. Hunt them on roosts coming off of grain fields.
  • Those eared doves are FAST buggers. They are like Mourning dove. Pigeons are more like White-winged dove. No limits on either.
  • Shells are running $13-$15/box and 20 gauge is harder to come by. Gun rental is ~$50 from most outfitters. Taking a gun to Argentina is a pain. Just rent them. Take shoulder pads and slip-on recoil pads to get length if you need it.
  • Most outfitters are going to be close to $1000/day. That should include transportation to/from EZE and any regional airports, food, lodging, and hunting. Gun rental, shells, and tips are extra. You can negotiate some of it with them though.
  • For tips, $50 - $100/day for the bird boy/guide. More for ducks because they do a TON of work. $50 - $100/day for your host/outfitter. My outfitter/owner wouldn't accept tips for himself. Figure $25 - $50/day for "la casa". That gets split between the cooks, housekeepers, and servers.
  • The American flight from MIA to EZE (Buenos Aires) is around 10 hours and is a decent flight. I would suggest spending a day & night in BA before/after your hunt to catch up after/before travel.
  • They are on a European schedule. Dinner isn't until 8pm or so. Most restaurants don't open until 7pm or later and the lodge won't have dinner until then. Plan accordingly.

When I go back to bird hunt next time, I would either hunt solely ducks (maybe an afternoon on pigeon/dove) for 3 - 4 days or hunt pigeon/dove on a day hunt out of Buenos Aires. My plan, right now, is to hunt red stag in Patagonia in March 2025. I may, or may not, do a day hunt out of BA for pigeon/dove then. If I was taking my wife/family to BA for a vacation, I would do a single day hunt while they did their own thing. It's a 2 hour car ride each way. 6am leave and return by 8pm just in time for dinner.

Oh, as for cost, this is my estimate: The hunting bill (hunting, lodging, food, shells, guns, transfers, and flight inside Argentina) came out to $6500. That included 2 nights in a hotel in Buenos Aires. I spent $1200 on tips and another $300 buying trinkets/souvenirs and meals in BA. The flight from Austin - MIA - BA was $2200 for upgraded seats (Main Cabin Extra). So, all told, probably $10,500 including the muck boots I bought and some other incidental things.

Worth EVERY SINGLE DOLLAR.

W
WMR Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by DanGilbertTX
Originally Posted by fatherof4
You start off with "bucket list" and then decided to limit it to the U.S. I am sure there is good, even great, duck hunting in the U.S. I am absolutely positive there is BETTER duck hunting outside of the U.S. Specifically in Argentina where the U.S. dollar stretches pretty far. I did a mixed bag hunt last year. Mostly ducks, but hunted perdiz and pigeon/dove as well. I will never hunt ducks in the U.S. again. Not worth the time/money. This is my AAR on ShotgunWorld:

Original Thread on SGW

I just back 10 days ago. I did mixed bag with 4 Seasons Argentina (4 Seasons Adventures Argentina). The lodge is about 15km North of Darregueira which is itself about 180km North-Northwest of Bahia Blanca. It's still in the Buenos Aires province. I spent 5 days hunting. Mostly ducks, but did hunt perdiz 1 day (those buggers are HARD to hunt) and dove/pigeon twice. I don't have a full write-up done, but will answer your questions here:

• There is a huge drought in Argentina right now. So, "normal" hunting spots are not necessarily being used. My outfitter couldn't do ducks in their normal spot as all the ponds were dry.
  • If you are a duck hunter, there is NOTHING like hunting ducks in Argentina. 3-5 ducks in the U.S. is something I will never do again. Not when I got 30 every single morning. The first afternoon I got 30 ducks in around 45 minutes. It's unreal.
  • According to the Argentinians, Cordoba is no longer the place for Dove. Entre Rios is. Most places are a 2 hour drive from Buenos Aires. Also, your golden dorado fishing is in Entre Rios.
  • The outfitter I used has their dove lodge in Entre Rios now instead of Cordoba. They apparently moved all their operations there. For whatever reason, there are more dove in Entre Rios than Cordoba now.
  • The best dove hunting is their Spring (September - December)
  • The best duck hunting is June - July. Temps will likely be below freezing in the morning, but rain is highly unlikely.
  • Red Stag is during the rut in March.
  • No clue on perdiz and I am not sure pigeon have a "good" season.
  • Pigeon is the most fun to hunt. Hunt them on roosts coming off of grain fields.
  • Those eared doves are FAST buggers. They are like Mourning dove. Pigeons are more like White-winged dove. No limits on either.
  • Shells are running $13-$15/box and 20 gauge is harder to come by. Gun rental is ~$50 from most outfitters. Taking a gun to Argentina is a pain. Just rent them. Take shoulder pads and slip-on recoil pads to get length if you need it.
  • Most outfitters are going to be close to $1000/day. That should include transportation to/from EZE and any regional airports, food, lodging, and hunting. Gun rental, shells, and tips are extra. You can negotiate some of it with them though.
  • For tips, $50 - $100/day for the bird boy/guide. More for ducks because they do a TON of work. $50 - $100/day for your host/outfitter. My outfitter/owner wouldn't accept tips for himself. Figure $25 - $50/day for "la casa". That gets split between the cooks, housekeepers, and servers.
  • The American flight from MIA to EZE (Buenos Aires) is around 10 hours and is a decent flight. I would suggest spending a day & night in BA before/after your hunt to catch up after/before travel.
  • They are on a European schedule. Dinner isn't until 8pm or so. Most restaurants don't open until 7pm or later and the lodge won't have dinner until then. Plan accordingly.

When I go back to bird hunt next time, I would either hunt solely ducks (maybe an afternoon on pigeon/dove) for 3 - 4 days or hunt pigeon/dove on a day hunt out of Buenos Aires. My plan, right now, is to hunt red stag in Patagonia in March 2025. I may, or may not, do a day hunt out of BA for pigeon/dove then. If I was taking my wife/family to BA for a vacation, I would do a single day hunt while they did their own thing. It's a 2 hour car ride each way. 6am leave and return by 8pm just in time for dinner.

Oh, as for cost, this is my estimate: The hunting bill (hunting, lodging, food, shells, guns, transfers, and flight inside Argentina) came out to $6500. That included 2 nights in a hotel in Buenos Aires. I spent $1200 on tips and another $300 buying trinkets/souvenirs and meals in BA. The flight from Austin - MIA - BA was $2200 for upgraded seats (Main Cabin Extra). So, all told, probably $10,500 including the muck boots I bought and some other incidental things.

Worth EVERY SINGLE DOLLAR.

You go on a hunting (shooting?) vacation for 5 days per year? It sounds like you had a great time. Sounds like it may have spoiled you. YMMV, but I'd much rather hunt more days in more places than that.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
A collection of all the teal mounted on a long log would be something..

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by WMR
You go on a hunting (shooting?) vacation for 5 days per year? It sounds like you had a great time. Sounds like it may have spoiled you. YMMV, but I'd much rather hunt more days in more places than that.
That is not the only hunting trip I make. It is just the only DUCK hunting trip I will make. I hunt deer, dove, and pheasant each year as well.

I would say that "shooting" vacation might be semi-accurate. I never heated the barrel up so much I couldn't hold it. I also didn't do a dove specific hunt where you can shoot 1000+ in one day. I wouldn't want to do that anyway. 100 - 250 dove in one day is about right with 250 maybe being too much. 50 ducks in a day was a lot, but I never wore my shoulder out. One day was ~100 birds with 30 ducks in the morning and dove/pigeon in the afternoon. It was a blast.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I would also point out that the daily bag limit for ducks in Texas is 6. Possession limit is 18. The season is split in 2 and is, at most, 76 days except in special places. 26 weekend days. I would have to limit every Saturday and Sunday of the season to get close to what I shot in Argentina in 5 days. Just putting numbers out there to illustrate that where I am (Texas) is not ideal for duck hunting anymore.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

664 members (10Glocks, 17CalFan, 160user, 06hunter59, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 64 invisible), 2,630 guests, and 1,315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,835
Posts18,478,088
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.