Print Thread
Hop To
E
efw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
E
I’ve been a small business commercial lender for almost a year now and Friday had to have been one of the toughest days I’ve had.

A client of mine owns Lake Effect Lures and we’ve become friends. He is a hard working father of 3, a fine Christian man with a love for the outdoors and a generous spirit when it comes to getting others excited about enjoying God’s good creation.

We hit the river I grew up on and had quite a day. We used only his lures, starting with his newly introduced paddle-tail, which turned a couple good fish early, and catching our fish on his finesse 3” “Feisty Fry” in translucent colors that looked quite real in the clear water. I lost an awful lot of lures in the wood but he assured me we had plenty but I swear if I’d have been more cautious in my casting I’d have spent more time with my line in the water and caught more fish. There were plenty to be caught!!

He caught one first as the sun was hitting and warming very cold water:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Next came a hole that was the highlight for the day. Matt caught this beautiful buck as I was tying a new lure on and I heard him hooting and hollering as he got him:

This guy knows this stretch of river, knows where to make his casts, and… this is a key that I needed to get used to… he knows how to keep calm when a big fish flashes and comes for the lure, slowing down to let the fish suck the lure in before setting the hook.

I fished that hole some more and a HUGE hen Matt swore was bigger than that gorgeous buck, came out and hit my offering. I had her for a split second and then she was gone! This was to happen a couple more times… there were a lot of big fish in this stretch and i couldn’t help but yank my lure away from them as they flashed from the deep!

I was finally saved from the skunk when a nice little hen followed my lure as I brought it out of the depths. I love the color of these fish they’re stunning:

I never thought about soft plastics for trout until I met Matt and was a little skeptical but once I gave it some thought it makes a lot of sense. The limitation with all the stuff I’ve always used for trout is the same… rapalas, spinners, spoons… they require speed for action, so rise right out of the strike zone. But these soft plastics are weighted and configured action-wise so you can give them slack line and let the current give them action, leaving them in the strike zone longest.

At any rate I’ve got a tough job I’m sure y’all feel badly for me 🤣 .

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Looks like a fun day.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice looking fish. Don't appear to be hatchery stock either, as the fins are perfect.

It is hard to not overreact when one sees a monster coming up. Envious here.

Last edited by 1minute; 03/30/24.

1Minute
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Nice trip looks like it was fun. Plastic s are made for a lot of trout fishing. They have eggs to trout worms to a bunch of others.

Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
Plastic has come a long way in trout fishing. Atomic teaser tubes , Berkeley trout worms , Trout magnets and Gulp minnows carch 85% of my trout anymore. Only hard lures I keep in my bag are a couple Joe flies, Rapala countdown, couple small spoons and Super dupers. Good looking browns

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Right on Ernie !!!

Whole lot to like there !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
tag

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (10ring1, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1234, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 58 invisible), 2,549 guests, and 1,424 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,177
Posts18,484,676
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.