Print Thread
Hop To
#19369329 04/08/24
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
I'm looking to replace my 06 Duramax that I bought so my daughter could use to be county fair royalty and gymkhana. It came out of BC Canada and has a bit of cancer throughout that is really starting to show. It's been mechanically sound, and I've kept it for seven years now.

It needs a bed, new rockers, front fenders, and it has the paint peeling like a lot of Chevys from around that time. I've never been upset about it I knew what I was getting, I only paid $18K cash for it with 120K and it always got the job done. I just figure a new flat bed, body, and paint work isn't worth the money to keep the pickup. I've also looked for blown motor or tranny pickup of the same year to swap that came from a much drier area. They're out there, but still more money than I care to spend on this.

I work with a guy who purchased a 2024 F350 Lariat 6.7L and wants to sell his old pickup. It's a 1987 F350 Lariat that was originally a 7.3L. The engine was professionally swapped out to a 1994 5.9L 12v Cummins around 90K miles and currently has 150K on the odometer on this pickup. The pickup is really clean on the inside, and very few blemishes in the body. He said he averages 20 MPG when not pulling a trailer.

He bought it from the diesel shop that did the swap, and used it to pull their drag and pull trucks to events. He's put around 30K on the odometer since he's had it, said if it had more room he'd have kept it (he's 6'7").

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

He's asking $28K, which he'll more than likely get. I definitely like it as it has way more power than my diesel pickups at the wheels. I just hate going back in years on the model. Though that era of Ford is one I really like.

GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I thought Gymkhana was similar to drifting w/those little Asian cars. I was going to be really impressed if your daughter was doing that with a Duramax.

As to the real subject of the OP, that Ford is just like any other "custom" widget, it'll be worth whatever the seller and buyer agree to. I even have a bit of a soft-spot for that body-style Ford, especially the crew/long box, but, I cannot think of any situation that would cause me to cough up $28K to own one now. If the eclipse this afternoon triggers an EMP and my pickup no longer runs as a result, I may change my mind.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That's a tough call. The Cummins swap is really nice but 28k for a 30 yo truck....each to his own.

Truck does look clean though

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by horse1
I thought Gymkhana was similar to drifting w/those little Asian cars. I was going to be really impressed if your daughter was doing that with a Duramax.

She drifted a bit on her horse at the gymkhana, but I figured someone would bring up rice burners version. I doubt I buy it, I can't justify it like fixing up my Duramax. I just like clean old pickups, and this one is nice.

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think the '87 was one of Ford's best looking. Pretty sure that was the first year of front independent suspension on the 4x4.

Beauty.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

IC B2

W
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
That’s how a truck should look! Someone did a great job of caring for it. That’s how my Dad’s vehicles look after many years of service. He always gets a premium for his cars when he sells them. We had a local guy selling an 89 F-150 about a year ago. The truck had low mileage and appeared in about 90% condition.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
It’s a sharp looking old rig if you’re a CCLB guy. I think 87 was the first year back to solid axle front for 1 tons which is good.

Personally I just can’t see giving $30k for a 40 year old rig for a daily driver. Drivability, safety, and comfort have made some advances in that time.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Joel/AK
That's a tough call. The Cummins swap is really nice but 28k for a 30 yo truck....each to his own.

Truck does look clean though

Closer to 40 years old. Nice truck, but not worth it. It may be to someone else. I actually prefer the 92-96 better. The front end styling on the 87 just doesn't cut it. I know, when they came out, it was Fords all new body styling that was "revolutionary" I remember the commercials. They were pretty proud of the '87 and the new styling. A cummins 12v would definitely be an upgrade though. Yet, with trucks put together like this, it can create issues that I don't like to deal with. Especially when going to the parts store. Good luck with it though!!!

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Good lookin' clean old truck, BUT IMO, someone is shootin' for the moon with that price. I'd say they have room to haggle.

Although looking though Clist locally, older vehicles are still crazy high. BUT again, I think most people price high expecting to haggle down some.

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Maybe half that but it still almost 40 years old are you doing any dope?

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I'd make an offer at $12 k. It's not worth what he's asking. If he's your "friend" he wouldn't be attempting to flip a profit off his buddy, over the chump-change he paid the diesel shop for that maroon-stripped cinder block.

Clearly, the shop simply pulled the drivetrain from a totaled "dodge-donation". Climb under it and take photos of the transfer case, the transmission and the cross member.

Last edited by mainer_in_ak; 04/10/24.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
I'd make an offer at $12 k. It's not worth what he's asking. If he's your "friend" he wouldn't be attempting to flip a profit off his buddy, over the chump-change he paid the diesel shop for that maroon-stripped cinder block.

Clearly, the shop simply pulled the drivetrain from a totaled "dodge-donation". Climb under it and take photos of the transfer case, the transmission and the cross member.

Good suggestion. I was thinking 15K. No more than that. But you know there is some idiot out there that will pay more, probably..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by taylorce1
...He's asking $28K...
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
I'd make an offer at $12 k...

Yeah, bet the seller just can't wait to jump on a lowball offer less than half his asking price.

Lowballers don't even get a reply from me.

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
He might be shooting for the moon, but he's not very far out of line at 28K. Here is what similar condition F350s of that generation sell for.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
He will get that for it if he puts it out there. The money is not that crazy when you consider a new one is $100k. This one will last many, many years.

Buy once, cry once.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Nearly $30k for a nearly 40 year old truck is insane. Half that, maybe. Is there a sucker that might actually pay it, sure. If someone hits and totals it what would insurance actually give you?

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Taco2fiddy7
...If someone hits and totals it what would insurance actually give you?

Replacement cost.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Which isn't $28k

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Taco2fiddy7
Nearly $30k for a nearly 40 year old truck is insane. Half that, maybe. Is there a sucker that might actually pay it, sure. If someone hits and totals it what would insurance actually give you?

You'd have to pay for special insurance to get comprehensive and collision for a classic vehicle. Most insurance companies wouldn't insure it for anything other than liability. There are a lot of things to consider before buying an older vehicle.

I know a lot of people that would pay $30K for an old pickup in excellent condition. I'm one that would rather drive around an old paid for truck, than these new $80-100K gas or diesel pickups. If the heat and A/C work, drives straight, and starts when I turn the key makes me pretty satisfied with it. I own pickups because I need them to maintain my property, run a few head of cattle, and help my dad (83) with his 300 head of cows, but my daily is an 05 Honda CRV that I drive to the job that pays most the bills.

I'm interested in it but wish it was a regular or extended cab. I'd actually be more interested in it then. However, it would probably cost me $40+K by the time I put a Ranch Hand style front end on it and a bale bed. I don't need a crew cab to bounce around a pasture to fix fence and pull trailers, and have more sheet metal to get damaged by feeding cows.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 163bc, 57 invisible), 2,481 guests, and 1,258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,804
Posts18,477,500
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.