Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
If any of you guys have bought any new Winchester rifles, share them with the crowd. I haven't bought a new to me Winchester ins a couple months. I actually sold one of my pre 64's, and the new owner is very happy with it. I don't think he posts pictures here, and hasn't posted here for a while.

It seems like I bought all the good deals in this area, but am always looking. I was at Cabela's the other day:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

They had 4 pre 64 model 70's. The only one that looked fairly original (but not in perfect condition) was a 1962 264 win fwt. The price was not horrible, at around $1,100.00. If I remember right. They also had a 1963 30-06 fwt, a 264 std wt, and a 243 fwt. I just looked in the case, and did not handle any of them.

Anyone find anything for a really good deal lately. Post them up, if you will. Thanks!!!

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I finally broke down and bought a VERY clean 5 digit Stainless Classic Featherweight in 270 at Tulsa. I have wanted one for a long time. The rest of my money I blew on Marlin wood and other junk.

I am always looking for factory wood stocks!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Cool buddy. Does your new 270 have a walnut stock, or a factory tupperware? A 5 digit classic stainless fwt would be damn nice. I only have one at the moment. A 30-06 walnut stocked one. Great rifles. Thanks for sharing..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
It is stainless and walnut. My best friend bought one about 191 or so and it shoots incredible. I have wanted one to match his but I just couldn't bring myself to pay what they bring. I finally realized that NOTHING is getting cheaper and just spent the money. I have a SS scope for it already and now I just need to find out where to get a SS set of Medium Tally one piece rings. I found a walnut stocked Steyr with a forged barrel and detachable magazine in 7-08 that followed me home too. I have never owned one but it sure feels nice. I guess a day at the range will tell.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 160user
It is stainless and walnut. My best friend bought one about 191 or so and it shoots incredible. I have wanted one to match his but I just couldn't bring myself to pay what they bring. I finally realized that NOTHING is getting cheaper and just spent the money. I have a SS scope for it already and now I just need to find out where to get a SS set of Medium Tally one piece rings. I found a walnut stocked Steyr with a forged barrel and detachable magazine in 7-08 that followed me home too. I have never owned one but it sure feels nice. I guess a day at the range will tell.

Nice, sounds like you have been busy. I just sold a nice silver Leupold Vari-X IIc 3-9x40 that would have looked and worked great on that rifle. I just run a Burris on my stainless 30-06. I think the matte finished scopes look good on the stainless rifles. If you go with a silver colored scope, I guess a set of stainless bases and rings would be the way to go. If you are trying to keep that all stainless look. I've bought some rifles set up like that.

Ruger M77 MK2 30-06:

Or the rifle that is very similar to the one you just bought:

I didn't like how tall the rings were on this set up. That is my 5 digit classic 30-06 fwt that I mentioned earlier. That's how I got it, when I bought it. I think I paid $650 for it about 4 years ago. Great rifles. Congrats on getting that 270. I'll bet it will be a sweet shooter.

The only complaint with my rifle, was the factory bedding, of course..

BSA MAGA
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I picked up a couple takedown model 94's when I was on my trip to Arizona. I went to a couple collectors shows in Las Vegas and Durant, Oklahoma. It cost me a bundle, but you can't find stuff like this in a store.

The straight grip is a 32-40 takedown made in 1912, completely original. The pistol grip is a takedown 25-35 from 1899. Both are scarce cartridges and esecially in the takedown configuration...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Those are very cool Shrap. A lot of beauty in those old girls. Thanks for sharing!!

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Nice, sounds like you have been busy. I just sold a nice silver Leupold Vari-X IIc 3-9x40 that would have looked and worked great on that rifle. I just run a Burris on my stainless 30-06. I think the matte finished scopes look good on the stainless rifles. If you go with a silver colored scope, I guess a set of stainless bases and rings would be the way to go. If you are trying to keep that all stainless look. I've bought some rifles set up like that.

Ruger M77 MK2 30-06:

I didn't like how tall the rings were on this set up. That is my 5 digit classic 30-06 fwt that I mentioned earlier. That's how I got it, when I bought it. I think I paid $650 for it about 4 years ago. Great rifles. Congrats on getting that 270. I'll bet it will be a sweet shooter.

Yep, that one looks like mine except it is a CRF and I paid double what you did. I am going with a stainless Leupold 3.5-10 x 40 that I have had squirreled away. I just need to find SS bases and rings.
A guy that I was with in Tulsa made a heck of a Winchester score. He bought a nice clean 86 in 50-110. That lightened his wallet a bunch but it is a pretty nice old gal.

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

Ruger M77 MK2 30-06:

Would the bolt clear the ocular bell on that Fwt with lower rings?

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Poconojack

Ruger M77 MK2 30-06:

Would the bolt clear the ocular bell on that Fwt with lower rings?
Oh hell yes. I can get the same scope or my Burris FFII 3-9x40’s, down a lot closer to the barrel.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Ruger M77 MK2 30-06:

Yep, that one looks like mine except it is a CRF and I paid double what you did. I am going with a stainless Leupold 3.5-10 x 40 that I have had squirreled away. I just need to find SS bases and rings.
A guy that I was with in Tulsa made a heck of a Winchester score. He bought a nice clean 86 in 50-110. That lightened his wallet a bunch but it is a pretty nice old gal.

Nice. Should be a great rifle then. By the way, all “classics” are CRF.

BSA MAGA

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (12344mag, 222Sako, 160user, 240NMC, 1lessdog, 17CalFan, 64 invisible), 2,301 guests, and 1,278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,291
Posts18,486,921
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.