Print Thread
Hop To
O
obie458 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
I'm looking for a left hand mountain rifle chambered in 280AI. The Weatherby backcountry and backcountry carbon cought my attention. Unfortunately the carbon barreled version isn't available in 280AI but the 6.5 RPM looks interesting. For those that have handled the Backcountry, what are your impressions? How was the accuracy with the pencil barrel.
I'm not stuck on Weatherby and I'm open to other suggestions but Left Hand chambered in 280AI limits the options. I looked into the Savage Ultralite in 280AI but I haven't been able to locate a left hand one. The stock and action aren't favorite on the Ultralite but the price is appealing.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Avoid any/all Weatherby’s with more than (2) locking lugs. Hint……….

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I handled every example in the display at my local scheels. Every single one had a sticky and rough action. I would be embarrassed if my company was charging 2k for those pieces of šhit. I could literally open the bolt, point the muzzle towards the ceiling and the bolt never moved.

Weatherby sucks (even more if chambered in a Weatherby cartridge), unless its a howa lol

Last edited by Jackson_Handy; 04/08/24.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Unlike the previous responses, I’ve owned a Back Country for 2 years now. Mine is chambered to 6.5 RPM and shoots very well, and the action is very slick and smooth. Small contour barrel heats up quickly so I have to shoot groups slowly in warm weather. Gun is a joy to carry and I’d have no issue with buying it again.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I’ve unfortunately owned lotsa Weatherby’s and still suffer a few. The less you know and do,the “better” they are. Hint……….

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B2

O
obie458 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
Originally Posted by Big Stick
I’ve unfortunately owned lotsa Weatherby’s and still suffer a few. The less you know and do,the “better” they are. Hint……….
What don't you like. I've never handled one so I'm definitely in the "the less you know" group when it comes to Weatherby.

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
The biggest jack wagons on the ‘Fire chirping again! Hint…

LMAO

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Don't have a back country but I do have several MKVs and even a Mauser action. My 300 has taken over twenty head of game here and in Africa, superbly accurate and a beautifully well made rifle. I'm sure the Back Country is just fine as I've never had a bad one.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
W
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
W
I have a Backcountry 2.0 in 6.5 RPM and it's a fine rifle. Mine is the Ti version so the action was a bit rough until it was shot enough and has now smoothed out nicely. I'm satisfied with accuracy just using factory ammo. An inch or less if I do my part at 100yds/3 shots. The one thing that took a little getting used to for me was the slight palm swell of the stock. I think that's because none of my other rifles have one. I'm happy with my Weatherby.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by wyosteve
I have a Backcountry 2.0 in 6.5 RPM and it's a fine rifle. Mine is the Ti version so the action was a bit rough until it was shot enough and has now smoothed out nicely. I'm satisfied with accuracy just using factory ammo. An inch or less if I do my part at 100yds/3 shots. The one thing that took a little getting used to for me was the slight palm swell of the stock. I think that's because none of my other rifles have one. I'm happy with my Weatherby.

Ditto 6.5 RPM

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
The easiest and most cost effective way to get a LW rifle. Plus bolt locking safety.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
O
obie458 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
The Backcountry is definitely a sharp looking rifle. I've also considered the Savage ultralite and putting an aftermarket carbon stock? Most reviews suggest very good accuracy but the action isn't that great? Any opinions on the Savage?

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I’ve got a regular backcountry 2.0, not TI or carbon. I really like the stock, trigger tech trigger and overall feel of the rifle/action. Haven’t shot it enough yet to say about accuracy.

I also have a savage ultralight in 280ai, overall I’d say I like it for the money, but at the same time I’ll say I’m probably going to post it for sale tonight or tomorrow. Main reason is I have several other lightweight rifles and specifically a Kimber in 280ai that I favor over the savage in particular:

O
obie458 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
Originally Posted by Denver257
I’ve got a regular backcountry 2.0, not TI or carbon. I really like the stock, trigger tech trigger and overall feel of the rifle/action. Haven’t shot it enough yet to say about accuracy.

I also have a savage ultralight in 280ai, overall I’d say I like it for the money, but at the same time I’ll say I’m probably going to post it for sale tonight or tomorrow. Main reason is I have several other lightweight rifles and specifically a Kimber in 280ai that I favor over the savage in particular:
The price is attractive on the Savage. I've struggled to find one available in 280AI / left hand. Savage themselves couldn't locate one but the rep was pretty sure they'd eventually produce more.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (1minute, 1OntarioJim, 222Sako, 01Foreman400, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 65 invisible), 2,493 guests, and 1,422 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,191
Posts18,484,971
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.