Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Bob_mt
Originally Posted by rost495
Wished it would have been clear enough to see it here. Things like this you don't get a chance every day.

When that is of no meaning to folks its kind of sad. Seeing nature do its things. Rainbows. Hail. Sleet. Sun Dogs. and so on. Just cool rare nature.

Doesn't change life any. But its cool to see when you can.

Or you can go on with city life and ignore.

so if you dont give 2 shts about an eclipse, its sad and you live in the city....the self righteousness is strong in you...bob
Yes it is. And damn happy it is strong.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
And don’t forget Joel Osteen apologist

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
2017, i think, was the last time i had seen an eclipse. yesterday i got watch about 1/4 of the eclipse, the other 3/4 was cloudy. now i gotta wait until 2045 to see it.

"Russia sucks."
---- Me, US Army (retired) 12B & 51B

Russian Admiral said, after the Moskva sank, "we have the world's worst navy but we aren't as bad as our army".

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I saw it with a clear sky
It was incredible to see and feel the cold and wind that came with it. When it got dark the nearby owls started to hoot.

living the good life every day
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by champlain_islander
I saw it with a clear sky
It was incredible to see and feel the cold and wind that came with it. When it got dark the nearby owls started to hoot.

The Owls Hooting just cooled up this thread by a bunch.

Originally Posted By: slumlord

people that text all day get on my nerves

just knowing that people are out there with that ability,....just makes me wanna punch myself in the balls
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pretty sure this was one of the eclipse curmudgeons on this thread.

https://twitter.com/githii/status/1777608536530341891

Carpe' Scrotum
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Buck720
All I got say is I feel sorry for all of the idiots that spent thousands to see this. It was like looking thru a bad scope!
You don’t feel sorry for anyone. Perhaps yourself? The inability to appreciate something so natural it is as close to eternal majesty as anyone is apt to witness is to be expected from a rock, a man made brick, or hole in the ground. Not a minimally functioning human being with a full complement of emotions and modest intelligence. Pity about your bad scope. It must suck being you.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The view was fantastic up on Lake Erie, another 20 years before the next.....and only in certain midwestern states.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
How many that where underwhelmed by the eclipse where actually in the path of 100% totality on a reasonably clear day?

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Steve
Pretty sure this was one of the eclipse curmudgeons on this thread.

https://twitter.com/githii/status/1777608536530341891
That’s just nuts!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B3

rte Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Communist Goals

26. Present homosexuality and degeneracy as normal.
27. Discredit the Bible.
28. Eliminate prayer in the schools.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/1561529/posts
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I loved the eclipse. We had only 85 percent, I wish I could have gone to Waco and seen the total eclipse.

Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
I was not particularly interest in watching but figured why not. It was totally eclipsed for over three minutes here. It was incredible, I am glad I took the time and enjoyed it with my family.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Moon 'Is Made Up Mostly of Gases,' Sheila Jackson Lee Tells Students
Spencer Brown
Spencer Brown
|
April 09, 2024 12:45 PM

AP Photo/Andrew Harnik, Pool
While Democrats and leftist alarmists decry conservatives for supposedly peddling "misinformation" about "the Science™" related to climate, COVID, and genders (there are two, FYI), their own Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee of Texas is out and about telling constituents some real whoppers about the solar eclipse.

Speaking on Monday at an event she claims to have "created" at Booker T. Washington High School in her Houston-area district, she tried to provide some scientific explanation for the solar system's workings — but any students who listened are going to fail Astronomy 101.

"You have the energy of the moon at night," Jackson Lee tried explaining to attendees, seeming to misunderstand that the moon doesn't release energy at night, it is merely reflecting light from the sun.

"And sometimes you've heard the word 'full moon,'" she continued. "Sometimes you need to take the opportunity just to come out and see a full moon," which the graduate of Yale explained is a "complete rounded circle which is made up mostly of gases."

Huh? The moon is, well, solid. That's why astronauts can...land on it. There is a notable lack of gases on the moon, hence the need for space suits for the Apollo astronauts to not immediately die outside of their lunar landers.

NRA-Benefactor
TSRA-Life

"It's a terrible thing when governments send their young men to kill each other." Charles Byrne,WW2 Vet.
On the day Desert Storm began.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
My 2nd one, probably the last. If you've never seen a "TOTAL" eclipse try to make it happen. The difference between 99% and 100% is HUGE. It's like flipping a light switch off for 3-4 minutes then turning the lights back on. If you're in an area that is 95% it's no different than a cloud moving between the sun and earth. Unless you're looking directly at the sun through protective lenses you probably would never notice 95% blockage.

In 2017 my wife, myself, and another couple drove about 2 hours north to Sparta TN. There are a couple of state parks near there where we planned to watch it from, but we stopped by Walmart to pick up a few things and it was packed with motorhomes, and canopies. We stayed there. It was a party atmosphere much like tailgating for a SEC football game. A really great experience and the Walmart manager loved it. They sold out of a bunch of stuff. Came around and greeted everyone personally.

I don't regret going at all, but 1 is enough for me, but my daughter and 3 of my grandkids wanted to see this one. My wife booked a couple of rooms at a campground near Owensboro KY. We drove up Sunday then drove about 50 miles west on Monday to Harmony Indiana and set up in the state park there. There were very few people there. I was glad my daughter and grandkids got to see it. It may be their only chance. We drove home today.

On a side note. When my wife booked the rooms near Owensboro months ago, I'd hoped to find Whitakers for a visit. Unfortunately, I heard they were now out of business a few weeks ago. Their building was only 1-2 miles from the campground where we stayed. They were a good 15 miles from the city of Owensboro. At any rate I hate that I missed that.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Buck720
All I got say is I feel sorry for all of the idiots that spent thousands to see this.

Please take some of your time to feel sorry for me then.

Not only did my wife and kids and I spend money to drive a camper to all the hell way to Texas (and back!) to see this thing, but my wife spent even more to buy several cases of wine while we were down there. Top it off I went to Staccato's Eclipse Range Day and they swindled me into placing an order via the voodoo wizardry of letting me shoot one of their pistols.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BOBBALEE
The Moon 'Is Made Up Mostly of Gases,' Sheila Jackson Lee Tells Students

Sub-Saharan Africa is well known for the number of Top Scientists it has produced.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I wasn't all that impressed by a 2 minute eclipse.

Hell Kid Rock didn't see the sun for 3 damned days...

Me

RAM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
We had 3.5 minutes of totality from my front yard. It was one of the most impressive things I have ever seen. With the cheap little throw-away glasses, I could see the corona, and orange prominences extending from the sun's rim. The sky got dark and I could see two "stars" (probably Jupiter and Venus). The horizon, all around, got darker and orange like it gets at sunset. I could also see the Bailey's beads effect and the "diamond ring" as the moon started out again.

The reason why RAM was so unimpressed is probably because he lives in Manchester, NH, which is far from the path of totality. A partial eclipse is NOTHING LIKE a total eclipse.

And the personal attack continues , even to the point of presuming where I was, where I live. Manchester, fwiw was in the 98% zone. Apparently you failed geography as well as Physical Science? 98% is Probably higher than most of you Phoids comparing the event to the " rapture" were in . My god this Nation needs an enema. Certainly this board does. It's become a home for haters. All hate, no brains and lots of mouth.

Please, share with us all. What's so great about the 2%

You stated "You know" with such conviction. Please share.

America is (supposed to be) a Republic, NOT a democracy. Learn the difference, help end the lie. Fear a government that fears your guns.
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by RAM
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
We had 3.5 minutes of totality from my front yard. It was one of the most impressive things I have ever seen. With the cheap little throw-away glasses, I could see the corona, and orange prominences extending from the sun's rim. The sky got dark and I could see two "stars" (probably Jupiter and Venus). The horizon, all around, got darker and orange like it gets at sunset. I could also see the Bailey's beads effect and the "diamond ring" as the moon started out again.

The reason why RAM was so unimpressed is probably because he lives in Manchester, NH, which is far from the path of totality. A partial eclipse is NOTHING LIKE a total eclipse.

And the personal attack continues , even to the point of presuming where I was, where I live. Manchester, fwiw was in the 98% zone. Apparently you failed geography as well as Physical Science? 98% is Probably higher than most of you Phoids comparing the event to the " rapture" were in . My god this Nation needs an enema. Certainly this board does. It's become a home for haters. All hate, no brains and lots of mouth.

Please, share with us all. What's so great about the 2%

You stated "You know" with such conviction. Please share.

I was in the path of totality with no intervening clouds. What amazed me was that the eclipse could not bearably be observed with the naked eye if the there was any direct sunlight. Consider the effect of sunrise and sunset on a tree line. The demarcation between solely indirect and even the smallest direct sunlight is readily apparent. Even just 2% of direct sunlight is significant.

Let's do a little hand-waving. The run-up and ramp-down of the eclipse took over an hour each. Let's assume a minute for every one percent of coverage. To get to 98% took over an hour and you were underwhelmed by the illumination provided by the remaining 2% of direct sunlight. In the areas of totality, going from 98 to 99% took only an additional minute to eliminate half of the remaining direct sunlight. In another minute it would all be gone.

In the few minutes of totality you could comfortably observe the eclipse with the naked eye and see the "diamond ring" start to develop. Once the sun peeked around the moon it was back to devices like the glasses or pin-hole boxes. These devices could be used for the entire duration of the eclipse to see the solar "crescent" develop but the real show was the totality and the rapid changes in the couple minutes before and after.

The difference between 100% and 98% is, well, night and day. Those in the path of totality experienced both in quick succession. Those not, didn't.

Last edited by Hoosier_Beagler; 04/10/24.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

102 members (35, 21, 358wsm, 6mmbrfan, 406_SBC, 10Glocks, 16 invisible), 1,500 guests, and 873 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,243
Posts18,485,945
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.