Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
We left out of Oak Harbor by the Davis Besse power plant. The zebra mussels haven’t caused as much of a problem as originally predicted. Usually catch at least one Gobi. Didn’t catch anything but walleye this trip. No channel cats, no sheepshead (fresh water drum). Early fishing is jigging off the bottom with a 3/4 - 1oz jig with a treble hook trailer. We put a shiner minnow on the treble. Feel the jig hit bottom the lift it a couple feet and repeat. As the water gets warmer we troll for them. In summer sometimes we cast with a worm harness spinner and a nightcrawler. Jigging works best in cold esrly season water. Leaving tomorrow afternoon for a Wednesday morning trip. I will report back. I usually take pics, but this last trip I was intent on fishing and keeping my hands warm.

Ron

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Orwell

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
We have Fresh water gaspergoo (drum) in abundance in many inland lakes. In salt and brackish water we have black drum and sheepshead.

The drum are OK to eat if one is real fried Fish hungry but I don't really like them. Even 3 or 4 lb black drum often have loads of worms.

I always threw any sheepshead back until I fished for specs and redfish with a top class guide service in Venice, La. We caught several of them on shrimp along grass islands and the guides kept every legal one and to us they actually prefer them to speckled trout or redfish.

They said they taste better than the red drum and as good as the specs and with firmer meat.

After several days fishing they gave our crew a going away party and fried up a pile of them. They were delicious and now when fishing the salt I keep every legal one.

I'm not planning on eating any more freshwater drum or any more of these black drum I recently caught and prepared carefully. They just don't taste real good.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Jaguar, we catch sheepheads (Drum) from time to time. Throw em back though. Fun to catch.

Ron

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Orwell
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ohio7x57
Originally Posted by bobmn
Ron what caused the demise of perch in the Central Basin?

Bob, I was told that they had some bad hatches over the last few years. The Western basin doesn’t seem to be as bad.

Ron

That's what I've heard.
The next few years are supposed to be excellent for walleye.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
The Z mussels have helped clean up the Detroit river and lake Erie! Sheep's head, make poor man's Lobster, in the mid 60s lake Erie caught fire. Used to drive our cars and trucks out on the ice to fish. Not since the Nuclear plants tho!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Went back yesterday and fished today. Started fishing at 6:30a (still dark). We caught our Captain’s limit of 42 walleye. Done by 12:05pm

Ron
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]free image hosting

Orwell
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
This was my biggest fish of the day. 4-5lbs. Great day on the water with friends.

Ron

Orwell
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Nice, Erie putting out… Looks calm to.

Jigging I’ll assume.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by jaguartx
We have Fresh water gaspergoo (drum) in abundance in many inland lakes. In salt and brackish water we have black drum and sheepshead.

The drum are OK to eat if one is real fried Fish hungry but I don't really like them. Even 3 or 4 lb black drum often have loads of worms.

I always threw any sheepshead back until I fished for specs and redfish with a top class guide service in Venice, La. We caught several of them on shrimp along grass islands and the guides kept every legal one and to us they actually prefer them to speckled trout or redfish.

They said they taste better than the red drum and as good as the specs and with firmer meat.

After several days fishing they gave our crew a going away party and fried up a pile of them. They were delicious and now when fishing the salt I keep every legal one.

I'm not planning on eating any more freshwater drum or any more of these black drum I recently caught and prepared carefully. They just don't taste real good.

Do the Sheepshead in your area have "Lucky Stones" in them?

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Kenneth
Nice, Erie putting out… Looks calm to.

Jigging I’ll assume.

Kenneth, it was eerily calm today. Yes, we were jigging with 3/4 oz jigs with treble hook trailers. We put a shiner minnow on the trailer.

Ron

Orwell
IC B3

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Ohio , 7x57. Are the walleye over populating in Erie? I heard they spawn so well that some say the bag limit needs to be raised.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Having fresh walleye tonight, courtesy of a good day, Saturday !!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

smile

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (1936M71, 1lessdog, 160user, 222Sako, 1beaver_shooter, 219 Wasp, 56 invisible), 2,497 guests, and 1,306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,331
Posts18,487,575
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.