Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Is there any Double Barrel ML Shotguns to stay away from?

I met a fellow that has about 80+ Black-powder firearms he's selling, many are unfired. They include pistols, rifles and a few Double Barrel Shotguns.
He has one that he said is unfired, and he bought it new about 20 yrs or so ago from a company going out of business. He's not sure
of the name brand off the top of his head, as it is in his gun safe, and he wasn't home at the time I was on the phone with him.

Is there any Makes or Models of Blackpowder shotguns to stay away from, or are they all pretty good?
This one uses a #11 cap and will not take 209 primers.

I cannot find any "worst list" online. So I'd appreciate any knowledgeable feedback on this.
Thanks

GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I had a Pedersoli 10ga ML SxS, quality shotgun IMO. I used it for all my shotgunning. Turkey, Geese, Pheasant, even trap. Had a lot of fun with it. Enjoy and please let us know what you end up with, if anything.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Double barrel ML shotguns will take #10 or #11 caps. I think that they are all made in Italy, but I suspect that each company has specs that may dictate quality. I can't remember who it was but someone actually made an O/U ML shotgun.
Look here....
https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/
There is a Pedersoli with choke tubes listed in the classifieds

Last edited by WStrayer; 04/07/24.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
My Pedersoli used #11's. I switched to musket nipples without any issues. Almost miss it enough to get another one! Lol!

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I had a Pedersoli 12 gauge for a few years. I used it for a bit of dove hunting and a few rounds of trap. Worked well. no ignition issues with the standard #11 caps. My only complaint was it felt wispy in my hands, rather too light in the muzzle end balance-wise. Overall I liked it, but not enough to buy another one.

Hint for cleaning one: de-mount the barrels and take them into the shower with you along with a cleaning rod. All the black crap swirls down the drain.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I bought a Pedersoli double flint shotgun, the barrels were so heavy you'd have thought it was a double rifle, the right trigger was off the trigger pull gauge and the left lock was.so.poorly made that it wouldn't fall fast enough to creat.a.spark. They refunded my money.without even a comment other than we get alot of these back.

I do have one of the Berretta O/U 300 year anniversary model. It has been a great shotgun and have take a number of ducks, grouse and one deer with a .690 round ball.

I also have a Euroarms 12ga Cape gun breeched for heavy loaded round ball and shot another I've used and taken a deer with a round ball.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I own an older Navy Arms percussion shotgun. 12 gauge, I/C - Mod. It takes # 10 caps. It is a good, reliable shotgun. I shoot clays, pheasants, and chucker with it. I have shot several Pedersoli percussion shotguns and actually like those. I would be very relucent to buy their flint lock shotguns. Those locks are not well made or very reliable.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I just purchased a 1860's English made SxS 14 ga. shotgun. 32.5" Damascus barrels, and in wonderful condition. As soon as I get wads, cards, and caps I'm going to load up some light loads and give it a go! It's marked C. GOVE on the lock plates, and C. Gove Denver, Col. on the top rib. Either owned by the famous Denver gunmaker, or sold from his shop.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

602 members (1234, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 1Longbow, 160user, 17CalFan, 61 invisible), 2,134 guests, and 1,333 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,014
Posts18,481,586
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.