Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Eleven years ago the Feds made a law that if a driver was caught in the big rig, just talking on the cell phone while driving, not to mention texting, it was a $2,500 fine and six points against the CDL license. Of course, it is hard to see up into the cab of the truck if you are in a cop car. Yes lots of drivers still do it and it is not the sign of a high IQ.

Because if you have a wreck, the cops will pull your Iphone data, and they can prove you were texting while driving, and that probably will be the end of your CDL career.

There was a crash on I 16 in Georgia several years ago, traffic was stopped due to a wreck. An 18 wheeler crashed into the last car in the backup at 65 mph, the CDL guy never even hit his brakes.
Four nursing students killed in the car. Diesel driver was unhurt. Cops pulled his Iphone data, he was texting while driving, he got 5 years in prison.

GB1

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
This crap is an epidemic, especially on country roads. At least in town the texters can do their thing while at a stop light. In the country they just do it on the open road. I get pretty tired of folks drifting into my lane. I drive around 55,000 miles a year, so I see this a lot.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Lady from work a few years ago coming up north US52. Notorius for answering emails while coming in to work. Never hit the brakes and rear ended the stopped semi.in the road.
She's dead. She never knew what killed her.
I pull over to text. And phone comes thtough the radio.

"Aim right, squeeze light"
" Might as well hit what you're aiming at, it kicks the same whether you miss or not"
NRA Life, GOA
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Around here the most dangerous drivers are women and/or old folks (of all races) driving small SUV's. They text while driving, drive too slow about 50-100 yards behind the car in front of them and if they are sitting at red traffic light you have to honk or they'll just keep sit there texting on the their cell phone until the green light turns red again.

Last edited by victoro; 04/11/24.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by jorgeI
I see it every day during my commute. Almost without exception, the 30 and under crowd.

I forget, what are they called?

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by EdM
I see it every day during my commute. Almost without exception, the 30 and under crowd.

I wouldn't lump them all in there, I know a few with good heads on them.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Originally Posted by EdM

I think that is PRECISELY what he and I were trying to convey. Gross generalizations are just that, GROSS.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
4 years ago a guy texting and driving ran into me and totaled my 2002 Ranger. I had that truck since it was new and really liked it as a run around town and go to work truck. Since it was old the insurance check didnt amount to much and with the price of new and used trucks I havent been able to replace it.

Texting and driving should be charged the same as reckless driving.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
No surprise. The general public is as retarded on this subject as they are at deciding who to knock up, how to pay bills, and whether to get the jab.

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by EdM

I think that is PRECISELY what he and I were trying to convey. Gross generalizations are just that, GROSS.

You mean like how we knew the guy was driving high in his moms car, living in his moms basement, and going to pick up drugs…???

Last edited by Certifiable; 04/11/24.

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
IC B3

S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by mark shubert
I'm seeing a lot of big rigs, with the drivers texting & driving - mostly all over the road, all 4 lanes AND the shoulders.
Seems to be about one out of three or four.

we see that on I 5 here on the left coast. Its a higher percentage, with Hispanic drivers who are here illegally, and then with the Indians, Pakis and whatever Canada is importing into their nation. If I see a truck with BC plates, I bet one in 10 of them is a white guy.

And they think they are immune to speeding tickets here, like they are in BC.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I use my phone while driving at times. It’s not terribly difficult if you’re not retarded.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
In 2019 our Grand Cherokee was t-boned and totalled by a young girl driving out of a WaWa parking lot while looking down at her phone.
Oncoming traffic was heavy and there was no way to avoid her.

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by 7mmbuster
Very seldom do I even answer the phone while driving, let alone make a call. And I very, very seldom use the text at all! I have fat thumbs and it’s hard for me. If someone text me, more often than not, I’ll call them and talk.
But then I’m 58, and I never, ever had a cell phone until I was 43, and needed one for my job as a truck driver.
I’m fine without the damn things, and seldom use it other than browsing through the ‘Fire and maybe playing FreeCell in a waiting room! 😀
I know some younger people who cannot function without one, I have had adolescent kids bump into me in a store, because they ain’t watching where they’re going, they’re looking at a screen!🤬
To me, it’s a special kind of dope, for a special kind of stupid!😟
I hate the damn things. And I’m convinced there’s a nice section of hell waiting for the people who create and design these devices, and a big thank you from Satan himself!
Reon

This reminds me of a situation I had up in Portland on a city thru way. Was sitting at a redlight about the 5th car back. It was a summer day, so the windows were down in my car. The street had been widened to wear they had parking space in between trees that lined the side of the street. They had also put in a bike lane.

The street was going down a slight incline, which Portland doesn't have much flat land around it. The curb goes around these big trees that were on each side of the intercity street. The radio was off. I hear this 'Rackety Rackety Rackety' of a skate board , and look in my right rear view side mirror and here's this 20 something riding a skate board, down the bike lane, not paying attention with his doing something on his smart phone. He's also going at a pretty good clip.

Right past my front fender, he drifts off the bike lane, staring at his phone, and hits the curb around the tree. It sends him and his phone flying into this pretty wide tree. Me and everyone behind me are laughing our asses off. The several cars in front of me start to go as the light turned green. Before I can go, I hear another guy coming down the bike lane on his skate board. Look in my right side mirror and sure enough, he's doing the same at the last guy. Face buried in his phone and not looking to where he is going. He hits the same curb and goes flying into the tree, like the last guy.

Me and the cars directly behind me are laughing so hard, I don't have time to start and making it thru the light... I was laughing to hard. Same thing with most of those behind me, they were laughing to hard to care either. I did hear some horns honking further on back tho.

Another pair of victims to our education system, and 'captivating technology'. Later I was thinking too bad these idiots didn't break their figgin necks, or at least their knees. It does prove tho, that God DOES have a sense of humor.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Certifiable
Originally Posted by EdM

You mean like how we knew the guy was driving high in his moms car, living in his moms basement, and going to pick up drugs…???

I didn't " know it" but around here it is certainly predictable, because we have a real fair share of that for a town of this size. May not be the same everywhere, but plenty of people from your fair state, don't move here for "work opportunities", unless its in the recreational pharmaceutical industry.

My son will be 30 this May. Many of the kids he graduated high school with, that he personally knows, DON'T have jobs and have been collecting on the welfare rolls since they graduated. Most of them still live in mom's basement, and don't have cars, because they use mom and dads and don't have to even pay for fuel. The motivated ones tho at least work under the table in the recreational pharmaceutical industry.

My son on the other end ( because parents have some input into their children's life style), has several college degrees and certifications working in the medical industry and works full time at our local hospital. He has no college debt, because he got an EMT and Paramedic degree, and then working at the hospital full time, he was reimbursed for taking educational course, so taking two courses every 60 days on line, he also has a graduate degree in health care administration, that the hospital paid for.

My son also doesn't use drugs or alcohol, and volunteers to teach EMT courses and certifications to high school kids via the Scouting Explorer program over at Mercy Flights, which was the first Air Ambulance company in the nation. I've also been heavily involved in Scouting in town for 25 years now. So I see a lot of kids, as they grow up and run into many of them now that they are adults. What they do in life as adults is reflective on what their parents taught them to do.

The area is also loaded with adults, even up into their 60s and 70s, who still act like irresponsible teenagers, still living in the 60s. Heck at Walmart and a lot of stores around here , you see 70 and 80 year old grandmas covered in plenty of tattoos.

This area is NOT for , or full of MENSA society members. Sign of the times.

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Texting while driving has illegal in Texas for quite a while but the cops aren't enforcing the law. I know a cop (retired now) that texted, responded to emails and surfed the internet while driving 80-90 mph down the highway. He said cops don't get tickets and he never did.

Last edited by victoro; 04/11/24.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Using cell phones while driving should be treated like Dui.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I’ve noticed in the past couple of years when I see someone texting and driving, it’s usually not the younger crowd. I see more 60 somethings and up texting and driving than other age groups. It also doesn’t matter make or female, they all do it equally.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
The real problem is many people, of all ages, have an addiction problem with their phone. If they use it while driving I imagine it's used at work and everywhere else to satisfy their craving.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by hanco
My son in law owns a Wrecker Service. He says telephone are the best thing that ever happened to his business
And I believe every bit of it.. I have coffee with the owner of a large wrecker service in the area and he confirms that it's been a boon for his business.. Probably ditto for the mortuary...sadly to say.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

604 members (2003and2013, 257 mag, 257Bob, 257_X_50, 160user, 163bc, 63 invisible), 2,406 guests, and 1,177 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,787
Posts18,477,248
Members73,943
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.