Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
257Bob Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I was at my local gun store yesterday looking through the used gun racks and noticed 7x57 in what looked to be pretty good shape, it wore a Leupold scope of some sort as I did not ask to further handle and inspect the rifle. If anyone is interested, just PM me and I'll share the details. This is a modern rifle, not pre-64, asking price was $1200

GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
PF (New Haven) or CRF (BACO)?

257Bob Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Can't confirm, rifle had cable through trigger guard, would guess CRF but not BACO. I can call if you want more info.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
PF (New Haven) or CRF (BACO)?
My first thought was PF. No interest, but guys would probably like to know if it is a std or fwt as well.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
257Bob Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I'll find out, I understand the desire of CRF but I've nothing against a Win 70 PF. FWT as stated in thread title.

IC B2

257Bob Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Called, they say it's CRF, if someone is really interested I can go and take some photos. I had the exact same rifle but mine was done with a Shilen barrel, don't remember the original bbl.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by 257Bob
Called, they say it's CRF, if someone is really interested I can go and take some photos. I had the exact same rifle but mine was done with a Shilen barrel, don't remember the original bbl.
If it’s factory post 64 and CRF, it is BACO.
And that’s a good price.

257Bob Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
To clarify, most of mine are CRFs from the 1990s, I thought BACO was after that but not sure really?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I'll find out, I understand the desire of CRF but I've nothing against a Win 70 PF. FWT as stated in thread title.

Ah gotchya. Fwt's are what I prefer. Anymore, I still have a preference for the CRF, as I grew up with them, but there is nothing wrong with the pushfeed model 70. I have a few of them, and they all work and shoot great.

To clarify, most of mine are CRFs from the 1990s, I thought BACO was after that but not sure really?

BACO is a Browning made rifle. They started building the model 70's in 2008. Now, the BACO's are made in Portugal. Have been, since around 2011-2012.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

You are correct, as BSA detailed above.

Prior to BACO the “classic” designated the CRF; as PF and CRPF were made concurrently. The classic moniker was dropped in the last year of New Haven production (2006 catalog no longer has the classic designation); the BACO rifles are all CRF.

New Haven didn’t produce a factory CRF 7 x 57 offering post 64.

IC B3

257Bob Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Looks line mine were built during the 1992 to 2006 period. Mine were acquired after '92 but before 2000. Most but a few have been sold off for lack of use and funding for other projects. Did at one time have all of the Supergrades, five I think.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Prior to BACO the “classic” designated the CRF; as PF and CRPF were made concurrently. The classic moniker was dropped in the last year of New Haven production (2006 catalog no longer has the classic designation); the BACO rifles are all are CRF.

Good info.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Looks line mine were built during the 1992 to 2006 period. Mine were acquired after '92 but before 2000. Most but a few have been sold off for lack of use and funding for other projects. Did at one time have all of the Supergrades, five I think.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Sweet rifles. You sure do like to rebarrel them though. May I ask why? Generally the model 70's shoot well. Even the featherweights. The rifle on the bottom must be a WSM. Nice collection..

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Ah gotchya. Fwt's are what I prefer. Anymore, I still have a preference for the CRF, as I grew up with them, but there is nothing wrong with the pushfeed model 70. I have a few of them, and they all work and shoot great.

BACO is a Browning made rifle. They started building the model 70's in 2008. Now, the BACO's are made in Portugal. Have been, since around 2011-2012.

Production shifted from FN herstal plant in South Carolina to the FN herstal plant In Portugal in 2013. Some say the barreled actions are still made in South Carolina and shipped to Portugal for stocks.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Have several 'Pre 64' 7mm models though two are Model 54 rifles. My sole Model 70 is from 1946 & a carbine with the earlier clip feeding action. I'm a happy camper!
Some handsome rifles in pix and "as by Model described.

Best!
John

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Also, they are BACO because Browning is the one with a licensing agreement from Olin Corporation to use the trademarked Winchester name. When FN Herstal bought the New Haven plant, they used the USRACo licensing agreement with Olin Corporation to use the Winchester trademark name. It's all about who has the licensing agreement with Olin Corporation to use the Winchester name. Also browning is owned by FN Herstal.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I've got a 7 mm Mauser in a Push Feed Featherweight. Bought it in the late 90s in Roseburg Oregon...

Some guy put it up for sale because he couldn't find ammo for it...it sat on the shelf for 6 months, Pristine shape as it wasn't used much, since ammo was hard to find... most folks who looked at it, asked "What the hell is a 7mm Mauser?"

I paid $300.00 for it, which included the 3 x 9 Leupold VariX 2 in Leupold rings sitting on top of it.... smile

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Seafire
I've got a 7 mm Mauser in a Push Feed Featherweight. Bought it in the late 90s in Roseburg Oregon...

Some guy put it up for sale because he couldn't find ammo for it...it sat on the shelf for 6 months, Pristine shape as it wasn't used much, since ammo was hard to find... most folks who looked at it, asked "What the hell is a 7mm Mauser?"

I paid $300.00 for it, which included the 3 x 9 Leupold VariX 2 in Leupold rings sitting on top of it.... smile

How would you like to double your money? smile

I am always looking for factory wood stocks!
E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Originally Posted by Seafire

Cha Ching🤑

257Bob Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Prior to BACO the “classic” designated the CRF; as PF and CRPF were made concurrently. The classic moniker was dropped in the last year of New Haven production (2006 catalog no longer has the classic designation); the BACO rifles are all are CRF.

Good info.
Back when I was buying every M70 I could (1990s) I immediately took them to my smith for new barrels, trigger work and bedding, often I'd buy the rifle for the receiver/stock only. No particular reason, just wanted to own rifles that were semi-custom (that may be a stretch) and something unique. Rifles in picture all had Shilen or Douglas barrels, mostly depending on what the smith could get his hands on at the time. Roger Ferrell in GA, member of the ACGG did all of the work. He handbuilds beautiful safari rifles from the receiver up but was never too busy or costly to work on my basic stuff, really great guy, did one for me a few years ago.

Three pictured were 257 Roberts, on 257 Wby, one 240 Wby, a 250-3000 compact. Sold most of them to members of the Campfire, kept the 270, 7mm RM and 25-05 which is on a 30-06. Mostly I would say it was entertainment which I enjoyed immensely. Selling off much of my collection, I put the money in better scopes, new DIY builds and other rifle projects.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (10gaugeman, 1minute, 160user, 1OntarioJim, 1234, 1Longbow, 59 invisible), 2,187 guests, and 1,340 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,928
Posts18,479,870
Members73,953
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.