Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by minengr
Remove sports. If you want to play games, that's on you and your parents and can be done at some other time.

Agree 100%.

As far as homeschooling, both parents working would be a challenge for that.

It isn't energy that kills, its holes.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
How many of you Lazy-Boy quarterbacks ever tried to manage a classroom full of ghetto gangbangers and "special ed" students? I did it for 30-something years, and retired in 2011 after teachig vocational trade subjects in a school with 3K+ students and 10 acres under the roof. The campus was about 80 acres. We had two onsite cops to patrol all that area. Do the job yourself for a while, and then tell us who survived the incompetent administrators and dangerous gangbangers how to do our jobs. Otherwise, STFU. Talk is cheap!

Being special needs such as yourself does not entitle you to "manage".

I am MAGA.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
How many of you Lazy-Boy quarterbacks ever tried to manage a classroom full of ghetto gangbangers and "special ed" students? I did it for 30-something years, and retired in 2011 after teachig vocational trade subjects in a school with 3K+ students and 10 acres under the roof. The campus was about 80 acres. We had two onsite cops to patrol all that area. Do the job yourself for a while, and then tell us who survived the incompetent administrators and dangerous gangbangers how to do our jobs. Otherwise, STFU. Talk is cheap!

I've worked in the best of schools and the worst of schools for over 20 years. I've seen it all. Have had full water bottles thrown at me in the sped schools. Had a highschool (what was the term Don Imus used?) verbally go off on me one day. It was explained to me that she was there simple because they had no other choice. She was pregnant, but the baby daddy already knocked up another girl and that girl was at the teen pregnancy center school...and it is not allowed for two girls knocked up by the same guy to go to the same school...she she had to go back into a regular classroom simply so the school could babysit her for the school day and let her torment the halls and classrooms each and every day. I can go on and on. I've seen full on racist administrators to some of the nicest ones you could ever meet. I've been in schools where kindergartners find the teachers coke baggie on the ground by her desk. Been in schools where 4th graders get caught screwing. Crazy stuff.

Last edited by killerv; 04/11/24.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I honestly think all education should be a private affair. Get rid of virtually all government involvement in education.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by killerv
Remove sports. If you want to play games, that's on you and your parents and can be done at some other time.

Please tell me you are joking, school sports brings a lot to the table for these kids. A lot can be learned about between the lines or on a baseball diamond about being a person, teammate, leader, outside the classroom. You mention parents, parents are certainly part of this bigger issue. You assume these same parents that are leaving it up to the schools to raise their kids are gonna get them to games elsewhere. Shoot, these school coaches are some of the most important people in some of these kids lives.
The National Felon League and NBA have a new violent thug in the headlines every single day. Not DUIs either, beatings, murders, rapes. Hard to say what effect school sports had on these clowns.
Most kids are in PE classes because it's mandatory...a few kids "make the team"...and all the money and resources are spent on the few that "make the team". Gyms, tracks, fields, equipment, swimming pools, buses etc....all that money spent for the few that "made the team"...IMO it's a grossly unjust allocation of funds that could better be utilized in education for the whole student body rather than the few who are athletically gifted.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
IC B2

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J

Please tell me you are joking, school sports brings a lot to the table for these kids. A lot can be learned about between the lines or on a baseball diamond about being a person, teammate, leader, outside the classroom. You mention parents, parents are certainly part of this bigger issue. You assume these same parents that are leaving it up to the schools to raise their kids are gonna get them to games elsewhere. Shoot, these school coaches are some of the most important people in some of these kids lives.

Yeah, naw.

Sports should be private...not in schools.

I am MAGA.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
We will have to agree to disagree on that one. Sports can be the only thing positive in a lot of these kids lives. Not every gets the love and support at home that a lot of us were fortunate to have.

Last edited by killerv; 04/11/24.
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Teach personal finance. Learn about saving, budgeting, investing and taxes.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
In regards to special ed tudents and gang bangers, in my opinion boils down to can't and won't. I'm willing to spend resources for those who can't. I am not willing to spend a dime to support those who won't. If a teen or their parents chooses not to get an education, so be it.

Cut them off of financial aid too. If any child wants an education I will support that. Should be a stigma for those who quit school to cause trouble. Also, have an option for those who want to come back and learn...on their dime...on their time.

For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

2 Thessalonians 3:10
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by Simplepeddler
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
You can't get rid of tenure.

You would lose more good teachers than bad teachers.

Man, I'm not sure about that.

You think teachers would walk if they lost their tenure, I think we could fire a bunch of crappy teachers if they were not protected by tenure.

My niece is a vice principle at a local high school, she will openly admit they have bad teachers they simply cannot practically get rid of. So these crappy teachers get moved around leaving a trial of destruction where ever they go. GOOD teachers are more prone to leave over BAD teachers than bad students.

Every time a good teacher...who holds his or her students accountable...flunks the star quarterback.....they would be fired.

Tenure protects good, high standard teachers from the parents.

You wouldn't need tenure if the administration would support its good teachers.

That would mean telling an irate parent to fugg off once in a while.

I am MAGA.
IC B3

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
We will have to agree to disagree on that one. Sports can be the only thing positive in a lot of these kids lives. Not every gets the love and support at home that a lot of us were fortunate to have.

Are you a high-school coach?

Education should never take a back seat to sports, no matter how crappy some kids home life is.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Teachers Union controls the narrative. Nothing any of us can do about it.

If you have children, Home School unless you want an indoctrinated imbecile for a child.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by STRSWilson
The Teachers Union controls the narrative. Nothing any of us can do about it.

If you have children, Home School unless you want an indoctrinated imbecile for a child.

Obviously what happened to you.

I am MAGA.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K

Education should never take a back seat to sports, no matter how crappy some kids home life is.

nope, and I agree, classroom first and foremost, but sports gets and keeps alot of these kids in the desk seats which is the first battle.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
The tenure laws were originally passed so young, attractive teachers wouldn't have to be the principal's private harem to keep their jobs. Now they're being abused to protect incompetent fools who would starve to death in the real world of continued employment being based on personal performance.

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J

nope, and I agree, classroom first and foremost, but sports gets and keeps alot of these kids in the desk seats which is the first battle.

I suppose you have a different perspective being in Georgia.

We do not deal with as many dropouts as you do probably.

The Reservations around me struggle more in that regard.

I am MAGA.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Originally Posted by flintlocke
It's been a democrat-matriarchy for over seventy five years. Figure how to change that and you're home free
Agree, I don't think you can legally dismantle the unions, pensions, employment contracts. I think the answer is to provide an easier path to school choice, a tax break for parents who do not utilize the public school option. Once there are more free market options for parents, the market will be in competition to up the student performance standards by itself. You will see more emphasis on the 3 Rs, less on Marxist and social agenda. I think industrial arts, practical job training should be totally separated from any school system. In places where it has been most successful...it has been a co effort of industry and educators.

Great post, I was obviously being sarcastic, but a real and comprehensive competency test to all teachers should be an absolute requirement.

For HS teachers I'd like to see a shift in the degree program. Consider a prospective physics teacher. In many places they'll have an M.Ed. degree with a couple of science/physics for teachers courses in their curriculum. Instead of that, require an MS in Physics degree with a couple of education and classroom management courses as the add on.

Mutatis mutandis for math, chemistry, biology and so on.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by mathman
It's been a democrat-matriarchy for over seventy five years. Figure how to change that and you're home free
Agree, I don't think you can legally dismantle the unions, pensions, employment contracts. I think the answer is to provide an easier path to school choice, a tax break for parents who do not utilize the public school option. Once there are more free market options for parents, the market will be in competition to up the student performance standards by itself. You will see more emphasis on the 3 Rs, less on Marxist and social agenda. I think industrial arts, practical job training should be totally separated from any school system. In places where it has been most successful...it has been a co effort of industry and educators.

Great post, I was obviously being sarcastic, but a real and comprehensive competency test to all teachers should be an absolute requirement.

For HS teachers I'd like to see a shift in the degree program. Consider a prospective physics teacher. In many places they'll have an M.Ed. degree with a couple of science/physics for teachers courses in their curriculum. Instead of that, require an MS in Physics degree with a couple of education and classroom management courses as the add on.

They don't require classroom management in our state.

If you raise the requirements are you going to raise wages?

I am MAGA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by mathman

They don't require classroom management in our state.

If you raise the requirements are you going to raise wages?

we've come full circle. Do away with the DOE, but schooling back in the hands of the states and let the states compete for the top spot. My home state could use roughly 25K construction workers right now. We should be educating for that.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M

Repeal the 19th Amendment for starters. grin

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

83 members (35, 444Matt, Akhutr, 7mm_Loco, 1_deuce, 338reddog, 5 invisible), 1,537 guests, and 744 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,368
Posts18,488,298
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.