Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Switch Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/20...pproves-expansion-background-checks-gun/

What does this mean to sellers on the Fire?

I guess I'm good to go as long as I ship to an FFL?

Thoughts?

Last edited by Switch; 04/11/24.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Possibly that an FFL has to be used on both sides of the transaction, including long guns ?

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
I couldn't find the actual text of the rule...but if I understand it correctly they have supposedly clarified terms such as " a business" and "substantial income" ,
and "for profit" as it applies to unlicensed sellers at gunshows. We all know unlicensed guys who hit a lot of gunshows in the course of a year...but until .gov comes up with exact definitions...this may be more kabuki theater in an election year. If Joe Hobby gets a table every year, to sell and trade used guns and gear at one or two shows a year...will he be in violation? But there is never any shortage of govt employees to interpret the rule with great enthusiasm...it doesn't cost them anything to write up Joe Hobby, whether it sticks or not.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
how about local person to person sale?

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Whether you use an existing FFL to ship and receive your firearms, if you are engaging in firearms sales for profit you must obtain an FFL license. That’s how I’m reading it. It’s likely intentionally ambiguous. That helps with the selective prosecution of whomever they want to “get”.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
IC B2

N
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
N
I believe that the wording of this sort of thing is left murky on purpose, so as to dissuade folks from behavior deemed unacceptable by the commies. If I might be in violation, I'm not going to do it. etc. etc. They know it works.

"Their minds are dead" - Carmine Ricca
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Don't think I've ever sold a gun for a "profit"!

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by 257Bob
Don't think I've ever sold a gun for a "profit"!

Under this new rule, if you ever sold a gun it was "for profit", and you are effectively "in the business".

That might not be what the rule says, but that's it's intended interpretation. They plan to force all sales to go through FFL's while getting rid of FFL's.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Originally Posted by persiandog

It's none of their business!

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Nollij
I believe that the wording of this sort of thing is left murky on purpose, so as to dissuade folks from behavior deemed unacceptable by the commies. If I might be in violation, I'm not going to do it. etc. etc. They know it works.

Create new rules, shot a few "offenders" in the face before the rules go into effect.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

IC B3

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by victoro
Originally Posted by persiandog

It's none of their business!

Tell that to the guy in Arkansas who got murdered by the ATF.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
When it doesn’t drop the crime rate, because it won’t, find some more ridiculous laws or EOs to burden the law abiding with.

Government is like a baby: An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other. - Ronald Reagan

For why should my freedom be judged by another man's conscience? - 1 Corinthians 10:29
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Not a law, just demoncrat smoke and mirrors.

Trying to appease their base and look like they are doing something to earn their voter's paycheck.

W
WMR Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
This isn't new. This has been DOJ policy for the last several years. I think they just needed a headline in an election year. Any yes, it has been a murky situation for a long time. It continues to be so.

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Business as usual for regular folks.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by WMR
This isn't new. This has been DOJ policy for the last several years. I think they just needed a headline in an election year. Any yes, it has been a murky situation for a long time. It continues to be so.

No.

They are "reinterpreting" the meaning of "being in the business" to effectively cover ALL private party sales, and thus eliminate them.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Timbermaster
Whether you use an existing FFL to ship and receive your firearms, if you are engaging in firearms sales for profit you must obtain an FFL license. That’s how I’m reading it. It’s likely intentionally ambiguous. That helps with the selective prosecution of whomever they want to “get”.

Should ask them what days you are allowed to shop for groceries, too.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
It sounds like another big government leftist overreach that will go down in flames when challenged but in the mean time it will provide them probable cause for more mischief.

W
WMR Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by WMR

No.

They are "reinterpreting" the meaning of "being in the business" to effectively cover ALL private party sales, and thus eliminate them.

I don't think so, Tim. "Primarily For profit" is the standard they are using. They declared this early last year as well. That can mean one or any number of sales, so "gun flippers" beware. Private sales for the purpose of improving or disposing of one's own collection are exempt under the law. Where does one start and the other stop? Gray area, of course. The ATF website does give some guidelines, but they are indeed vague.

I agree that the goal of this administration is to eliminate private sales. They just don't have a law that allows them to do it. In the meantime, they push the bounds of existing law as far as possible. Ultimately the courts will decide where the boundary is. Until then, DOJ may, and likely will, harass and intimidate individuals to get compliance.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by WMR

No.

Interesting indeed, but eliminate private sales, dont think so. Also depends on where you reside. In Nebraska with its Purchase Permit(for now) and CHP being considered an alternative to Brady its always been suggested that all private sales you ask to see a purchase permit and DL or just a CHP before making the sale. Long guns you didnt need to keep a record but more of a CYA case of due diligence. Handgun sales again it was suggested to keep a record of the CHP or PP # for a CYA but not mandatory. So at a gun show presenting a PP/DL or a CHP was your background check.

Swifty
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

615 members (160user, 222ND, 2500HD, 2003and2013, 257 mag, 163bc, 62 invisible), 2,408 guests, and 1,168 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,789
Posts18,477,285
Members73,943
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.