Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by Simplepeddler
You can't get rid of tenure.

You would lose more good teachers than bad teachers.

Man, I'm not sure about that.

You think teachers would walk if they lost their tenure, I think we could fire a bunch of crappy teachers if they were not protected by tenure.

My niece is a vice principle at a local high school, she will openly admit they have bad teachers they simply cannot practically get rid of. So these crappy teachers get moved around leaving a trial of destruction where ever they go. GOOD teachers are more prone to leave over BAD teachers than bad students.

Every time a good teacher...who holds his or her students accountable...flunks the star quarterback.....they would be fired.

Tenure protects good, high standard teachers from the parents.

You wouldn't need tenure if the administration would support its good teachers.

That would mean telling an irate parent to fugg off once in a while.

My personal mileage varies on that. In our case, we had a awful teacher that was notoriously known for being a drain on our kids and they just moved her around until she retired. I had the school board president, actually my former 5th grade math teacher sitting in my living room begging us to not sue the local school over her actions towards our son. All I demanded was an apology to our son and the old hag fired. She sent the apology the last hour of the last day of school and she was transferred to torment other kids. Protected by tenure; a sword that cuts going in and coming out I guess.

A
Alan_C Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by killerv
Originally Posted by killerv
We will have to agree to disagree on that one. Sports can be the only thing positive in a lot of these kids lives. Not every gets the love and support at home that a lot of us were fortunate to have.

Are you a high-school coach?

Education should never take a back seat to sports, no matter how crappy some kids home life is.

nope, and I agree, classroom first and foremost, but sports gets and keeps alot of these kids in the desk seats which is the first battle.
Or find something kids enjoy that is taught at school.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Get government out of education. They have ZERO business indoctrinating our children.

"Give me four years to teach the children and the seed I have sown will never be uprooted."
--Vladimir Lenin

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Teach them Reading, Writing and Arithmetic. Anything else is sufficient for conviction of capital crimes.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Cameras recording the classrooms avalable to parents and LE all the time.
Civìcs class required to include a week in prison, a week at a VA hospital, and a week in State Legislature. Require legislature to have kids present whenever in session.
Shop and home economics 6,7, and 8th grade.
Mandatory firearms and gardening classes.

There is no retreat but in submission and slavery!
IC B2

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Alan c: I would "improve" the current K-12 education system by doing the EXACT OPPOSITE of what the public schools are now doing!
Get rid of wokeness in every aspect of public schools.
That would be a good start.
High schoolers that CAN NOT read is just laziness and ignorance by teachers and administrators - completely unacceptable.
But with the politicos kissing the asses continuously of the teachers unions I do not see ANY change in public education in my lifetime.
Sad.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If parents can be held responsible for the crimes of their teenage offspring, they can be held responsible for their education. Or lack thereof.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
A
Alan_C Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by jimone
Cameras recording the classrooms avalable to parents and LE all the time.
Civìcs class required to include a week in prison, a week at a VA hospital, and a week in State Legislature. Require legislature to have kids present whenever in session.
Shop and home economics 6,7, and 8th grade.
Mandatory firearms and gardening classes.
I like this! Mandatory cooking classes also. People most likely would be more healthy and less drain on hospitals.

K
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
Weed out the bull s h i t, concentrate on math, sciences and language skills. I can't confirm, but I hear there's people that believe our planet is 6000 years old.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Parents have to retake classes with kids that fail.

IC B3

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
One thing would be to have school for education. Sports should be completely out of the system. The most worthless teachers I have ever known are those who are coaches.

Molon Labe
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Spoke to a girl from South Africa that had to shoot, dress, and skin an antelope to graduate.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
You generally won't find a board or other group of people who will just up and fire govt employees.

They fail up or sideways. No one wants to get someone fired.

Like how jury's don't like to convict.

I am MAGA.
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Riverc
Originally Posted by gonehuntin
Abolish the teachers unions so that the losers/slackers/schittheads/worthless ones can be summarily fired on the spot and their state credentials canceled for their incompetence.
Also do away with the Department of Education . We got too much government running things.

The Dept. of Education was the worst thing to ever happen to our students. Reagan tried to get rid of it as I understand, but the dems wouldn't let him.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Get rid of tenure. A teacher should be able to be fired easier if they are not good at their job.

Tenure only means they have to tell you WHY you are being fired.

It's very easy to get rid of a teacher. You are untenured the 1st 3 years in any school system. If you move to another system the 3 year probation period starts over. During that 3 year period they can walk in and tell you to clean out your desk at any time for any reason or even no reason. And they don't have to give a reason, in fact they won't give a reason. It might simply be because the chairman of the board's daughter graduated from college, and they need to make a spot for her. I've seen that happen.

After you get tenure, they have to tell you why and be able to show documentation that you're not doing your job in court if the teacher fights it. I've seen a lot of them lose their job. It's easy to get bad teachers out if the administrators document the issues.

Reduction in Force.

If the job you do is no longer needed due to lower enrollment numbers or phasing out what you do even tenured teachers are let go. The year I retried our school was going to lose 1 teaching slot. I was on the fence as to whether I wanted to work one more year or not. Had I stayed they would have let the Art teacher go and done away with the Art Department. That made my decision a little easier.

Some type of shop classes would be HUGE. In fact, that is what I taught the 1st half of my career. They did away with it in the high schools. Kids who wanted to specialize in an area went to regular high schools 1/2 day then the VoTech school 1/2 day. They concentrated in one area and were job ready when they graduated.

That's not what I did. It was basic woodworking, basic metalworking and drafting. It was meant for kids to learn the basics of safely using tools and machines. Some went on to become skilled craftsmen, but most were college prep kids or regular ed kids who learned some skills that helped them later in life. We phased that out 20 years ago and I have former students approach me quite often and tell me how much my class helped them with basic home repair.

If nothing else they learned how to read a ruler down to 1/32". Most kids today have no idea what those lines are for between the big numbers.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Sad thing is teachers are getting pushed to limits and snapping on some of these kids. Good teachers until one day they just can't take it anymore. The culture and the kids coming the schools now just wasnt what it was 20-30 years ago. Had one with 26 years in the system where a punk kid tried to trip him while walking down the aisle, well that kid ended up on the ground. Teacher lost everything he had worked for, retirement. Of course these days, it was all caught on video. Community came out to support him but what he did you just can't do. The kids had planned on trying to push him over the edge.

Anyway, we had an awesome electrical/hvac teacher. Kids were leaving school making good money with the knowledge they obtained. They thought the world of him and would regularly come back to visit him at school over the years. Now that ain't a bad life, retired after 40 years.

We have a couple good vocational schools around here, kids learning auto, from the old school cars to all the new technology and computers. Heck, if you want a brake job or tune up, take it to one of the schools instead of an expensive shop or dealership. Of course its all supervised.

My great uncle retired from teaching carpentry his whole life at a local tech school.

Had to have a septic pump replaced, having watching it done, I know I could do it now but I had no idea, never had a septic system before. Anyway, grunt guy they made climb down in to the holding tank is making 25 bucks hour.

Last edited by killerv; 04/11/24.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
No pass through allowed. No cram courses to pass scholastic achievement grade level minimum numbers and teacher not allowed to teach the test or grade the results of achievement testing, with the teachers terminated if they do not get a passing grade as an educator, every year. You want to test the students, you best be testing the "teachers."
Do you expect 50% of the class be able to read, write and do basic math, in the 8th grade at the end of 8th grade, huh, really? Then why are you,,,,you, are responsible for your schools,, not taking responsibility, demanding results, or failure notices for students and teachers alike. Rate teachers, their fellow teachers rate them, just look where the teacher's own kids get educated, sure is not in the dummy's class room, is it. So if the teacher know, you should know.

“To expect defeat is nine-tenths of defeat itself. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. It is best to plan for all eventualities then believe in success, and only cross the failure bridge if you come to it."
Francis Marion - The Swamp Fox
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Get back to the use of one's mind (do reading, writing, and arithmetic) and hands on tasks. Learn the skills and then how to apply them. Introduce calculators, computers, and programming etc in their junior and senior years.

Although I was a poor student throughout my high school years in Va, it was a tough school with college prep, business, ag, and general studies programs. One could actually fail and be held back for a year if he did not make grade in two or more courses. Although my grades did not show it, a lot of knowledge soaked in, and college was a snap when I eventually got there.

At our 20th reunion, I went over and profusely thanked my typing teacher for her patience and time, as that proved to be an extremely valuable class.

It's been almost 15 years since my son graduated here in Oregon. He had some issues, and I went down and sat through his classes for a couple days. A couple were fine, but others were a joke with teachers simply handing out assignments and then sitting at their desk for 90% of the period. Little to no discipline either, with kids wandering about, chatting in distant corners, and girls sitting in their boyfriends' laps for an entire period. Only about half of his class actually got diplomas with the balance essentially awarded attendance certificates. Things are being watered down even more with state government essentially doing away with competency exams using the now gone virus as justification. Even some of the kids are asking why they should bother, because no one cares.

We do have a few excellent teachers though handling the advanced placement kids with seriously challenging programs. The preponderance of those kids though are likely self-starters and could probably educate themselves with just access to a library.

We have two schools in the county. One in town and another in a smaller community that is a boarding school for the ranching community that might live more than 100 miles out. In recent years, some of the monied folks in town purchased a bus and are doing AM/PM runs of 35 miles a day to get their kids out to the boarding school. The Portland press visited a couple years back and were amazed to hear things like "yes mam/no sir" and see both boys and girls out in the lot on Fridays doing oil changes, fixing flats, and mechanic work before loading up to go home for the weekend.

Last edited by 1minute; 04/11/24.

1Minute
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Simple! Go back to 1950!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
dump the us Department of Education, and ban liberals from serving on School Boards. Disband and outlaw teacher unions.

Sam......

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

489 members (1lessdog, 1lesfox, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 16gage, 54 invisible), 2,619 guests, and 1,172 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,365
Posts18,488,166
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.