Hop To
G
Geeman Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
G'day all.
After a few months of research I think I've decided to buy one of the above scopes to put on my LH T3x in 7mm08.
The options available to me are #68 ZBi reticle with exposed elevation and windage turrets or the #64 Zmoai-t 30 reticle with either exposed elevation or windage turrets or exposed elevation and capped windage turrets.
I'm leaning towards the latter reticle with exposed elevation and capped windage turrets but interested in views of those with first-hand experience (I can't compare them in person and have to order based on website).
There is also an option with "hunter turrets" but can't work out what that is from the retailer website or Zeiss website - I assume it is capped turrets.
Thoughts/comments?

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I own 3 of the V4s, the T30 reticle with the capped windage turret is definitely the way to go for a hunting rig. Exposed windage turret is a no go for me on a hunting rifle.

G
Geeman Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
Thank you, that's what I was thinking...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have v4's in zmoa 2, tmoa 30 and a 3-12 in ZBR1. I think the ZMOA2 is my preferred, but the tmoa 30 is not bad at all. its got 1 moa ticks so in that way its easier to use. I think the exposed turret makes the scope far more useful, otherwise your buying a scope thats heavier than really what you need as a set and forget it scope. the 3-12 is capped turrets but that is only because its the only way I could get the scope, its not made in a turret model. The 3-12 is built on the same scope body, so you're not really saving weight or size by not getting a 4-16.

to me the reason you buy this scope is because in my experience the tracking is flawless, its got a turret and capped windage and lastly a zero stop.

G
Geeman Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
What rings/mounts are you guys using with these? I was thinking sportsmatch rings or leupold backcountry but open to suggestions

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Geeman
G'day all.
After a few months of research I think I've decided to buy one of the above scopes to put on my LH T3x in 7mm08.
The options available to me are #68 ZBi reticle with exposed elevation and windage turrets or the #64 Zmoai-t 30 reticle with either exposed elevation or windage turrets or exposed elevation and capped windage turrets.
I'm leaning towards the latter reticle with exposed elevation and capped windage turrets but interested in views of those with first-hand experience (I can't compare them in person and have to order based on website).
There is also an option with "hunter turrets" but can't work out what that is from the retailer website or Zeiss website - I assume it is capped turrets.
Thoughts/comments?

Good questions. I think cumminscowboy covered it well. At least that's how I see it. The #68 reticle is far to busy for my needs. I also prefer the #94 Zmoa2 reticle, as it reminds me of the NF MOAR.

The scope in question is a good solid scope, but I did not like the glass clarity. Sold it to a buddy, and he liked it so much, he bought another one, when Doug had them on sale for $750.00. Hard to beat that deal.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

As for having an exposed turret, I'd prefer that on that particular scope, as they don't turn easy enough that you are going to accidentally bump them, like you would a Leupold CDS (as an example).

Furthermore, I'd buy this scope, if I planned on making shots past 500 yards, on a consistent basis. Anything under that, I'd look at a different/lighter scope. Even a Burris FFII 3-9x40 would suffice, out to 500 yards, for most cartridges, and it weighs 13 ounces.

The V4 4-16x44 is, however, light for what it is, and it does track flawlessly. Because the tracking is it's biggest selling point, I would not buy a capped turret model.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
for rings, I like the nightforce ultralights or the Vortex pro series for a touch less money. BSA must have had a bad unit, he said that before and it surprised me. The v4 I loved from the moment I saw it at a tradeshow. the edge to edge view is very good and the imagine and scope tube look very thin, meaning the imagine extends all the way to the edge and has no blackened ring around it. I think some may call this tunneling. its the best scope you can buy under $1000

Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Geeman
G'day all.
Thoughts/comments?

I basically have this reticle/turret configuration on a V4 6-24 on a 223 and I like it. It is my coyote gun and works well.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I just bought this same scope with the plex reticle for my new Extreme Weather Model 70. I’m going to use Warne bases and rings. Talleys would be my next choice.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I ordered medium rings. I definitely needed lows.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I have 2 of the 4-16x44s with the exposed elevation and capped windage which is my favorite turret combination. I wish their were more scopes with exposed elevation dials and small capped windage because I like to dial my elevation and dope for windage on my reticle.

That's because the wind is always changing and I'm trying to read it real time as I'm lining up the shot. Plus I hate huge windage duals that your cases bounce off of and back into the action. I've been asking manufacturers to make exposed elevation with small capped windage fir over 20 years and finally a few are starting too.

I wasn't too excited about my zeiss v4s being 2nd focal plane but it's easy for me to do the math on 8 being half of 16 and 4 being 1/4th. Plus if I'm shooting long I'm often on 16 anyways. I don't think they have the best glass and the zero stop is a bit of a pain with odd t8 size screws but they've been holding up well. One of mine is on an aero m5 6.5 Creedmoor build I put together and it's been holding up well.

Bb

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Swampman700
I just bought this same scope with the plex reticle for my new Extreme Weather Model 70. I’m going to use Warne bases and rings. Talleys would be my next choice.
I've had great luck with Talleys. I have the Talley steel QR rings on my 500 Jeffery, flawless.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Ghost And The Darkness

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (1Longbow, 160user, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 22magnut, 53 invisible), 2,489 guests, and 1,307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,185
Posts18,484,820
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.