Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I am in the process of doing a custom build. I ordered a Douglass barrel with the following specs: 1-8 twist, #2 sporter, four groove barrel. Caliber will be a 6.5 X 55 swedish. Any idea on a certain grain/ weight you guys would recommend?

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Focus projectile length and rethink the chambering. Weight is moot. Hint.............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Big Stick
rethink the chambering. Weight is moot. .............

you don't think a 6.5x55 is a good caliber?

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Sabretooth
rethink the chambering. Weight is moot. .............

you don't think a 6.5x55 is a good caliber?

How are you having it throated for starters?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Connecting mechanical dots should be the driver and bullets never don't not matter more than headstamps. What receiver,what's the application and why not connect dots? Hint...................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
not sure what that means. my gunsmith is building it. will be built off a Winchester Pre 64 action.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You are in wayyyyyyyyyy over your head. Throat Geometry,COAL and RPM matter wayyyyyyy more than a "smidge". Hint.

Walk away,while you can. Hint..................

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Sabretooth
not sure what that means. my gunsmith is building it. will be built off a Winchester Pre 64 action.

You've criticized my people skills before, so I'll be as polite as possible. Not having a handle on this kind of thing is an indicator of being out of your depth.

At least with a pre-64 you should have enough magazine length to work out with your cartridge selection.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
You are in wayyyyyyyyyy over your head. Throat Geometry,COAL and RPM matter wayyyyyyy more than a "smidge". Hint.

Walk away,while you can. Hint..................
I was just looking for an opinion on bullet weight for a particular caliber regarding a certain twist rate. WHY on Earth do people dive into the minute details that ARE NOT germane to the real question at hand?

Last edited by Sabretooth; 04/11/24.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You are far from asking the questions that matter and should run away while you can. Hint.

Projectile length is the driver,not mass,despite your impressive inability to realize same. The details of which,factor all. Hint.................

IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
When you get to the details it isn't just bullet weight that drives the situation. Some bullets may be heavier than others, yet are still easier to stabilize because the lighter bullet is javelin shaped and requires more twist to stabilize.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
My 6.5 Creedmoor has an 8" twist barrel and performs very well with several VLD style selections from Hornady and Berger.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
On top of the Retardation she's already drooled,"Pre-'64 Model 70" is suspect to boot. Many Droolers botch that nomenclature, which of course opens up even more cans of worms. I doubt she could cite The Donor. Hint.

Conjoin same, then delve COAL and Throat Geometry atop the already magnificent display and she really should be running away. Hint................

Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
If you want a quality custom rifle, then those details matter. If you are looking for just a Swede in a M70 then they do not. You should talk you your gunsmith if you have a specific bullet in mind to use or at least the heaviest you expect to use. That will determine best twist and chamber throating.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Projectile length factors Throat Geometry far greater than "weight". A schit bullet will make use of a longer throat,often far better than a rather exceptional projectile. Projectile weight do not hinge throat geometry or stability(RPM). There's a lotta' quick paths to where you DON'T want to go in the .264" bore size,thus the importance of particulars and a FIRST Fhuqking Clue. Hint.

This has "Goat Fhuqk" written ALL over it. Hint............

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I had a barrel finished by a local gunsmith, with some notable nationwide name recognition.

It was for a 6.5 x 55 that I put on a Model 70 Featherweight with a one in 7 twist.

I wanted the featherweight factory barrel spec, but longer.

As far as what I wanted it to be throated for, I just made a dummy round with a Remington 140 grain bullet, seated out to the second cannelure, that the particular bullet came to. It fit the magazine length of the action on the model 70.

Kevin told me that he sure wished all of his customers would show up with a dummy round, and requested that the chamber be spec'ed to 'fit this'.

I was surprised few people evidently do this when having an aftermarket barrel chambered, at least according to a few gunsmith's I have gotten to know personally.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by himmelrr
If you want a quality custom rifle, then those details matter. If you are looking for just a Swede in a M70 then they do not. You should talk you your gunsmith if you have a specific bullet in mind to use or at least the heaviest you expect to use. That will determine best twist and chamber throating.

Not necessarily. The shape of the bullet is very inportant as well.

Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by himmelrr

Not necessarily. The shape of the bullet is very inportant as well.

Very good point. Thanks for bringing it up and it is prime example of how many details there are!

Last edited by himmelrr; 04/12/24.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A 7" RPM Swede 70 configured for Core-Rocks,is simply fhuqking HILARIOUS! Hint.

Akin to running for the pay phone,because you can't get a Spike Buck dead all the way by yourself and they "taste better" after lingering over night. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.............

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

634 members (06hunter59, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 17CalFan, 1234, 72 invisible), 2,085 guests, and 1,247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,891
Posts18,479,159
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.