Hop To
#19369176 04/08/24
K
killerv Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
Have heard one gobble on my land in 5 hunts. They just aren't talking, even the hens are quiet. After another quiet morning we left about 10:30. Stuck it out until 2 the day before. Got on the paved road and decided to drive around to where the powerline comes out on it...and there he was in full strut about 500 yards away at the top. So we turned around and went back, opened the gate, got all our stuff back on and headed up the loggin' road to him. This road has a pretty decent incline around 15% and comes out at the crest of the top of the powerline. You about out of breath when you get to the top. My sons has been pulling the trigger the past few years but this one was gonna be really hard to sneak up on with two of us and not be seen. So when we got close to where the road came out I had him stay back, I dropped my turkey vest and all I had was my shotgun and mouth call. After getting low and pretty much crawling up slow and quiet as I could I finally got up to the powerline and got set against a tree. I didn't know if he had seen me or not, he was just on the other side of the rise. I just sat ready for about 5 minutes, if was still there he would be only about 75 yards away. Couple clucks with the mouth call and I shutup. About 5 minutes later, I see barely see the top of his head, then I barely see the top of his fan, he's headed my way. More of him finally started appearing over the rise and he stuck that head up nicely. Game over. Son came running out of the loggin road all grinnin and happy we could make it happen. Team effort. You'll see in the pic just the kind of hills we deal with, even in Ga at the bottom of the piedmont region.

Anyway, I love a turkey story. "The gobblers I have known"

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by killerv; 04/08/24.
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Nice one, congratulations. Bushy beard on that one. 👍👍

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Hell ya👍

B
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
B
Good stuff!

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Congrats always nice when it comes together like that.

Think i need a bigger gun
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Atta Boy !! " Take a kid hunting & You'll never have to hunt for the kid"

K
killerv Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
Thanks guys.

Originally Posted by colorado bob

My dad ran a bumper sticker growing up

"Take your boy hunting instead of hunting your boy"

Last edited by killerv; 04/08/24.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Very cool! Congrats!

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Turkey nuggets on order! Well done

Hook and Book, Shoot and Scoot
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Can't read this without thinking of this incident!

My dad first took me hunting when I was three.
He never skipped taking me hunting every season until I was old enough to hunt on my own.
We hunted the same lease in East Texas until pop passed in 1981. I hunted it one more year before the landowner sold out to Ducks Unlimited. So, from 1951 to 1982.

When I got my driver's license, I would borrow dad's truck.
I would go to camp Friday after school. Hunt Friday afternoon, Saturday morning and afternoon. I could also hunt Sunday morning, but I had to be home in time to go to church Sunday night.

As I loaded the truck one Friday, mom (not a BIG hunting fan!) asked me why I never had a date or hung out with friends on the weekends? You always go to that old camp. I just smiled and drove off.
When I returned Sunday morning, mom was waiting for me.
"You missed all the excitement this weekend." she said.
"Jim R., Randy S. and Roger M. got arrested for minors in possession of alcohol!"
"Pretty much SOP for those three every weekend!" I replied.

Dad had already told me he needed the truck the next weekend. When I got off the bus the next Friday, dad's pickup was sitting in the drive.
When I walked in the house, mom said, "I got you some bacon, eggs and pork & beans! You going hunting this weekend?"
Needless to say, I decided to go hunting!

True story.

Last edited by MartinStrummer; 04/10/24.
IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Congrats

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
K
killerv Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by MartinStrummer

Can't read this without thinking of this incident!

My dad first took me hunting when I was three.
He never skipped taking me hunting every season until I was old enough to hunt on my own.
We hunted the same lease in East Texas until pop passed in 1981. I hunted it one more year before the landowner sold out to Ducks Unlimited. So, from 1951 to 1982.

When I got my driver's license, I would borrow dad's truck.
I would go to camp Friday after school. Hunt Friday afternoon, Saturday morning and afternoon. I could also hunt Sunday morning, but I had to be home in time to go to church Sunday night.

As I loaded the truck one Friday, mom (not a BIG hunting fan!) asked me why I never had a date or hung out with friends on the weekends? You always go to that old camp. I just smiled and drove off.
When I returned Sunday morning, mom was waiting for me.
"You missed all the excitement this weekend." she said.
"Jim R., Randy S. and Roger M. got arrested for minors in possession of alcohol!"
"Pretty much SOP for those three every weekend!" I replied.

Dad had already told me he needed the truck the next weekend. When I got off the bus the next Friday, dad's pickup was sitting in the drive.
When I walked in the house, mom said, "I got you some bacon, eggs and pork & beans! You going hunting this weekend?"
Needless to say, I decided to go hunting!

True story.

I hunted mostly a bow/shotgun only county, I kept a mossberg 835 behind the seat of my single cab chevy 1500, it and a lightweight camo jump suit. I'd head straight to the woods after school and throw that jump suit on over my school clothes. I remember the first big buck I killed by myself. I ran back to the truck as quick as I could to call my dad on one of those old bellsouth bag phones. Good times.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

616 members (160user, 1lessdog, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 66 invisible), 2,349 guests, and 1,231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,827
Posts18,477,918
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.