Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Yes.. it's true. Not a late April Fools joke.

But.. they will be made in Canada.

And it's a bit confusing if they're going to be rimfire and centerfire, or just rimfire and a different action centerfire. I'm thinking only rimfire, and probably another bolt action center fire line.

"two new product lines will be introduced: lever-action rimfire rifles and centrefire hunting rifles"

Is there a huge demand for Canadian made rimfire lever actions?

Originally Posted by Global CA
Rifle manufacturer Savage Arms in Lakefield, Ont., aims to create 49 new jobs with over $3.3 million in expansion plans.

The company just north of Peterborough on Tuesday said that as part of its $3,346,206 manufacturing investment, two new product lines will be introduced: lever-action rimfire rifles and centrefire hunting rifles.

https://globalnews.ca/news/10397325...-in-expansion-ontario-contributes-funds/

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
GB1

Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Picture of it here on the left.

Oh boy.

[Linked Image from images.squarespace-cdn.com]

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Savage owns the old Lakefield manufacturing plant which I believe is in Coburg ON. I believe the 22’s they have been manufacturing there are the old Lakefield design rifles?
Whatever they make in the Lakefield plant, they also sell in the states.
You can bet, they ain’t making no new model 99 at the Lakefield plant.

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Snowproe, Cooey arms was in Cobourg. The Lakefield plant was in the town of Lakefield, just north of Peterborough, Ontario. Glad to hear of this plant expansion, I’m sure no federal money from Trudeau was doled out for this venture. The provincial Conservative government did put up some incentive money. Can’t wait to see the new offerings.

Nick

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Gotcha. With the dollar exchange between the Canadian dollar and US dollar, it’s cheaper to manufacture in Canada these days, especially when many of your products are sold in US dollars.

IC B2

Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I did see an interview where they said about 90% of the plant production is exported to the US, only 10% sold in Canada.

Henry rifles are made in the USA and are very popular. So it'll be interesting to see where Savage comes in on price and quality.

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Is there anymore photos about of the rifle Rory, kinda exciting me thinks

Johno

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
As far as 22lr goes, It won’t take much to top Henry quality.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by snoeproe
As far as 22lr goes, It won’t take much to top Henry quality.

I wouldn't expect much...

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
An accurate little Savage lever gun to plink 22LR targets would work for me.

Looks like the prototype has a tube magazine - has Savage manufactured a similar design in the past?

"Rhetoric is no substitute for reality." -Thomas Sowell
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by snoeproe
Savage owns the old Lakefield manufacturing plant which I believe is in Coburg ON. I believe the 22’s they have been manufacturing there are the old Lakefield design rifles?
Whatever they make in the Lakefield plant, they also sell in the states.
You can bet, they ain’t making no new model 99 at the Lakefield plant.

The original COOEY plant was in Coburg and was sold to Winchester and they made the COOEY bolt action 22's stamped with COOEY and Winchester. That plant closed in 1979 and the equipment was moved to Lakefield and Lakefield Arms Company was started and hired many former COOEY employees. The new company also got the rights to the COOEY Model 64 semi-auto 22, the last firearm designed by Cooey. Savage acquired the Lakefield Arms Co. in 1995 and continued to produce the COOEY Model 64 as the Savage Model 64. I have a very early version of the Model 64 that was made for Iver Johnson, COOEY had a long association with them, I am not real impressed with that gun, hopefully the later Savage ones are better.

Here is where that information comes from - cooey-canadas-gunmaker

Gene
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
The first 22 I ever shot was a Cooey repeater bolt action rifle.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Lakefield Arms had a long association with Mossberg before the Cooey absorption. In our local hardware store in the mid 1970's (Ontario, Canada) you could buy Cooey shotguns and .22 rifles and Lakefield Mossberg shotguns and .22 rifles. The Canadian version of the Mossberg 500 was the Lakefield Mossberg model 400. Same gun but with hardwood instead of walnut stocks. The Lakefield Mossberg bolt action repeater .22 had a 5 shot magazine (removeable) and a lot more popular than Cooey's tube fed .22 bolt repeater.
Darryl

From the Great White North
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Yes.. it's true. Not a late April Fools joke.

But.. they will be made in Canada.

And it's a bit confusing if they're going to be rimfire and centerfire, or just rimfire and a different action centerfire. I'm thinking only rimfire, and probably another bolt action center fire line.

"two new product lines will be introduced: lever-action rimfire rifles and centrefire hunting rifles"

[[[[[[[[[[Is there a huge demand for Canadian made rimfire lever actions?]]]]]]]]]]

Originally Posted by Global CA
Rifle manufacturer Savage Arms in Lakefield, Ont., aims to create 49 new jobs with over $3.3 million in expansion plans.

The company just north of Peterborough on Tuesday said that as part of its $3,346,206 manufacturing investment, two new product lines will be introduced: lever-action rimfire rifles and centrefire hunting rifles.

https://globalnews.ca/news/10397325...-in-expansion-ontario-contributes-funds/
ya i think they could sell quite a few , and i would buy 1.

norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
In Canada that would be an assault weapon plant, the current governments may not let them be exported or imported.

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

73 members (35, 308ld, 808outdoors, AdventureBound, Bclark, 6 invisible), 1,145 guests, and 787 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,868
Posts18,478,687
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.