Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
3584ELK Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
You fellas are gonna love this one: I've been searching for a Class 2 or 3 long bed 4x4 pickup to take over work duties while my 2500HD goes in for some engine and body repair. Up pops an ad nearby for an excessed county pickup- F350, goose neck ball, dually, crew cab, etc. Sounds interesting, but the photo of the window sticker is chopped off on one side and conflicts with the posted information: 5.4l engine vs. 6.2l, bed length, etc. Well, I caught the County District Manager on FB Messenger and after asking for a better photo of the window sticker, I got this reply: "one of my board member[s] found that photo online and sent it to me after looking it up on the internet." WOW, no kidding? How disingenuous can you get on a sales ad? You took a photo of the window sticker from another vehicle and posted it with the ad, leading people to think it was for the pickup in the ad...incredible. Or maybe it is simply CLUELESS STUPIDITY?

"I didn't realize we had so many snipers in this country." by J23
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
There are sites that will recreate the original window sticker off of the VIN. Is that maybe what they did?

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Deceptive business practices.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A couple of years back, I was ready to drive about 5 hours for an advertised deal on a new 2021 4x4 F150 at a dealership in Texas. I called the dealership and a salesman told me the truck was still in stock. We were getting everything in order when he mentioned a price that was something like $4k over what was advertised online. I told him to hold up, as something was off. The price was supposed to be about $39k. He said it "technically" was, but they had added a laundry list of dealer add-ons, from a bedliner, to door edge-guards, to mud-flaps, and special upholstery coatings, etc. I told him that his dealership was promoting false advertising and it was a shady practice to list pricing online that way.

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JPro
A couple of years back, I was ready to drive about 5 hours for an advertised deal on a new 2021 4x4 F150 at a dealership in Texas. I called the dealership and a salesman told me the truck was still in stock. We were getting everything in order when he mentioned a price that was something like $4k over what was advertised online. I told him to hold up, as something was off. The price was supposed to be about $39k. He said it "technically" was, but they had added a laundry list of dealer add-ons, from a bedliner, to door edge-guards, to mud-flaps, and special upholstery coatings, etc. I told him that his dealership was promoting false advertising and it was a shady practice to list pricing online that way.

Boy, you sure scolded him good, eh? He was probably mentally devastated.

"Whose bright idea was it to put every idiot in the world in touch with every other idiot? It's working!" -- P. J. O'Rourke
IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I'd rather let a nine year old demented ape try to remove my toenails with a bad pair of pliars than to have to talk with an auto sales person!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

DON’T BE TOO PROUD OF THIS TECHNOLOGICAL TERROR YOU’VE CONSTRUCTED. THE ABILITY TO DESTROY A PLANET IS INSIGNIFICANT NEXT TO THE POWER OF THE FORCE.

- Darth Vader
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
I looked at an “advertised special” truck, years ago (Moritz in Ft. Worth, circa 2006)). Was going to be a “commuter” truck, so nothing fancy.

Advertised as “Single cab, SWB, V6, Auto/AC”. It was an ad they ran for MONTHS, not just some “one off”.

Well, we get there, and the first thing we notice was that it was MANUAL. That’s pretty annoying, if you’re planning on driving much in the city. Start looking it over some more, and NO AIR CONDITIONING!!

I can’t even imagine a dealership, in TEXAS, wasting time ordering a truck with NO a/c. This was 2006, long past “wing windows” being phased out, where most summers are spent with highs in excess of 95 degrees, and often 100 degrees. I was so angry at that point, I let them know they were wasting my time (trying to bait and switch), and left.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Deceptive business practices.

And buy a .gov agency........Go figure!

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If it makes you feel any better, they are most likely skimming a few thousand from the sale price for their own pocket, so no need to be too precise in the add. The confusion will help later if there are any questions from an auditor.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I bought a Nissan truck one night from a dealer, used, advertised as a v6, …
Got there about 30 minutes before they closed, pouring rain. Paid and drove home, seemed a little lethargic. Next morning I went and popped the hood and counted 4 spark plugs.
Called the dealer, they assured me it was a v6, arranged for them to buy me lunch if it wasn’t and I’d keep the truck if it was. Went down, three people went and checked and assured me it was a v6. I played dumb and said ok, guess I should up the ante and buy everybody lunch or give 100 for their trouble.
Shook on it, went out and popped the hood, then asked service manager to come show me all 6 cylinders.
He couldn’t, they took the truck back and gave me $100 for the hassle.
4 banger ain’t no v6.

Keep Smiling
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
A local Chevy dealer in Austin had a huge banner that said they'd beat anybody's price on new pickups. I tried to get a price quote for a truck I wanted to order but they wouldn't give me a quote. I went to a Chevy dealer in La Grange got a quote and ordered the truck. I went back to the Austin dealer and showed them the La Grange quote. They told me that there's no way that I could buy that truck for that price. Then I told him that I already had.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You lost me at buying a used truck and not popping the hood for a look before buying.

Originally Posted by JonS
I bought a Nissan truck one night from a dealer, used, advertised as a v6, …
Got there about 30 minutes before they closed, pouring rain. Paid and drove home, seemed a little lethargic. Next morning I went and popped the hood and counted 4 spark plugs.
Called the dealer, they assured me it was a v6, arranged for them to buy me lunch if it wasn’t and I’d keep the truck if it was. Went down, three people went and checked and assured me it was a v6. I played dumb and said ok, guess I should up the ante and buy everybody lunch or give 100 for their trouble.
Shook on it, went out and popped the hood, then asked service manager to come show me all 6 cylinders.
He couldn’t, they took the truck back and gave me $100 for the hassle.
4 banger ain’t no v6.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Lots of lying thieves amongst the ranks of auto salespeople, there are still honest ethical folks out there you have to do your due dilligence.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by gunswizard
Lots of lying thieves amongst the ranks of auto salespeople, there are still honest ethical folks out there you have to do your due dilligence.
Car & Truck salesmen are all liars & thieves. All of them.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by shootbrownelk
Originally Posted by gunswizard
Car & Truck salesmen are all liars & thieves. All of them.

With the entire sum of the world's knowledge available to everyone on their phone - there's really no reason to ever discussion a car with a salesperson. If you roll into a dealership without knowing everything about the car - that's on you.

Roll in, confirm the car you want is there - talk to finance (if need be). ZERO upside to the sales dog/pony show. My time has value, I should be in/out very fast.

Me

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by 3584ELK
You fellas are gonna love this one: I've been searching for a Class 2 or 3 long bed 4x4 pickup to take over work duties while my 2500HD goes in for some engine and body repair. Up pops an ad nearby for an excessed county pickup- F350, goose neck ball, dually, crew cab, etc. Sounds interesting, but the photo of the window sticker is chopped off on one side and conflicts with the posted information: 5.4l engine vs. 6.2l, bed length, etc. Well, I caught the County District Manager on FB Messenger and after asking for a better photo of the window sticker, I got this reply: "one of my board member[s] found that photo online and sent it to me after looking it up on the internet." WOW, no kidding? How disingenuous can you get on a sales ad? You took a photo of the window sticker from another vehicle and posted it with the ad, leading people to think it was for the pickup in the ad...incredible. Or maybe it is simply CLUELESS STUPIDITY?

You got lied to by a government stooge, who takes his very living out of your pocket and “earns” that living by spending more money out of your pocket. Well, I am shocked. NOT. I would say he did exactly what I would have expected, other than failing to require you to buy the damn thing…

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Tell a salesman you want to look at cars under $10k. You will not see cars under that. More like 12-13k, if he’s new and unsure. A more experienced guy will start at 15k and go up. Because they know they can get most folks to spend more than they intended to, and do not believe you when you set a top price.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
This is “breaking news” you fuucking dummy? Thank god you moved to South Dakota you whinning fuucking gash..🖕🏿

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Gov't deceptive business practices?

After the past few years?

Who would have thought!!!?

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (222ND, 160user, 2500HD, 2003and2013, 257 mag, 163bc, 60 invisible), 2,394 guests, and 1,165 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,788
Posts18,477,275
Members73,943
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.