Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
I hunted along Klutina road for years. Haven't been on the road for at least 10 years but myself and some of my friends shot nice size grizzly's and a bunch of black bears along the road. We tried fishing but never really figured it out as far as kings or reds.
Anyone here fish the river? Or the lake? I did talk to F&G once and they told me the lake was "unchartered" as far as lake trout goes and it should hold some really big fish.
It has always been on my bucket list to fish the lake and river upstream from the Richardson Highway. I also heard Athna native corporation put a stop to hunting. T or F?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
GB1

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
I hunted along Klutina road for years. Haven't been on the road for at least 10 years but myself and some of my friends shot nice size grizzly's and a bunch of black bears along the road. We tried fishing but never really figured it out as far as kings or reds.
Anyone here fish the river? Or the lake? I did talk to F&G once and they told me the lake was "unchartered" as far as lake trout goes and it should hold some really big fish.
It has always been on my bucket list to fish the lake and river upstream from the Richardson Highway. I also heard Athna native corporation put a stop to hunting. T or F?

Answer your access question.

https://law.alaska.gov/press/releases/2022/091622-CoppeRiver.html

Far as Lake trout couldn't tell you. I do know several years ago we road sleds out to the lake and their were holes drilled in the ice for ice fishing so their is definitely something in the lake to catch in the winter. Some real nice cabins out their as well, heck some of the places they be really nice homes.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Randy a lot has changed since you left a lot of land was traded to the Natives and is posted the drive to Tok has signs all over. Dont think you will like the changes.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'd love to try the lake outlet for lakers. I've seen pictures of some caught out of there and they are some beautiful fish. Seems quite a hassle now to get in there.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I know of a few king holes upstream from the bridge but the area is largely native corp land. You pretty much need to pay for access unless you jet boat upstream.

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
I been told of issues with the natives for many years but each time we went up the road we experienced none of it. I personally have hunted and/or rode ATV's there from 1978 to 2012. As late as 2012 we would drive our RV there, park it, and run the road on ATV's for fun. I guess changes could of occurred since them. Looking for some first hand opinions of what is going on now.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Get ahold of the Right of Way people at DOT in Fairbanks. They should be able to tell you the current status. When I left there in 2019 there was active litigation between the State and Ahtna concerning access to and along Klutina Lake Rd. I've heard that there has since been a settlement, but don't know any details.

The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.
U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
I float and fish the Klutina river almost all of July every year. We dont ever go to the lake, but launch at RM 14. You dont have to have an Ahtna permit to drive the road and launch. Better be good on the sticks if youre planning on rafting. You can hunt brown and black bears and wolves on Ahtna land for 110.00.

Last edited by UpTop; 04/12/24.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by T_Inman
I know of a few king holes upstream from the bridge but the area is largely native corp land. You pretty much need to pay for access unless you jet boat upstream.

Always wanted to do that, I have gotten over it, going up wouldn't be bad.. coming down, better have a tough boat.....!

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by UpTop
I float and fish the Klutina river almost all of July every year. We dont ever go to the lake, but launch at RM 14. You dont have to have an Ahtna permit to drive the road and launch. Better be good on the sticks if youre planning on rafting. You can hunt brown and black bears and wolves on Ahtna land for 110.00.

I can't support ahtna, makes me want to charge the natives to use the airport.

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I have been told otherwise but also have never heard of anyone using the Craig road being harassed by AHTNA.

Who knows…

U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
Originally Posted by T_Inman

I have been told otherwise but also have never heard of anyone using the Craig road being harassed by AHTNA.

Who knows…
Hopefully, whomever told you that misinfo keeps telling people that to keep the pressure down on the river, I love it over there.

Last edited by UpTop; 04/13/24.
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Hopefully, whomever told you that misinfo keeps telling people.........

All I'll say to that is that eventually, everybody gets their turn. Enjoy............

NRA Life Endowment Member

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

59 members (BALLISTIK, Akhutr, BamaJoe, Anaconda, 8 invisible), 1,194 guests, and 907 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,995
Posts18,481,141
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.