Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
My current fav pre-64, is a FWT JES rebored .358 Win. Started out as a shot out .243.

DF

GB1

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
[quote=lundtroller]

Favorite I own but don't shoot... 2 digit 30-GOVT-06 assembled the end of the first day of production,

DAAAAMN!!!

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Crockett305
[quote=lundtroller]

Favorite I own but don't shoot... 2 digit 30-GOVT-06 assembled the end of the first day of production,

DAAAAMN!!!
Ha!

Great gun. Don’t think I’d shoot that one either.

DF

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
[quote=lundtroller]

DAAAAMN!!!

Love to see a couple pics!

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Calibers..

.308 & .270 currently.

“Factio democratica delenda est"
IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Poconojack
[quote=lundtroller]

DAAAAMN!!!

Love to see a couple pics!

Here you go. My pics leave a little to be desired!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

She has been loved and used gently over the years, a lot like the other pre-war 70 '06 offered for sale here on the 'fire recently. I will add again, not bad for almost 90 years old! The story of how I discovered her just adds to the allure... barrel down stuffed in with a bunch of other guns in a pawn shop safe! I am a bigger fan of "transition" 70s and featherweights BUT when I saw the serial # my stomach quivered and my knees began to feel weak (just like a little kid!!!) so I finally became a pre-war owner...

I'm not sure how this gun ended up where it did in "coal country" central Utah but my limited knowledge suggests that it may have originated in Wyoming or Colorado and may have "moved" to Utah sometime later. Will never know for sure though. Not sure where she will go next either... almost seems like it should be in a museum, ie. Cody, or something similar. I need to go check that place out as my family are not "loonies" like me, sadly.

For those "loonier" than me, I should correct my earlier description of the production date of the gun. The receiver was "stamped" late in the first day of production 1936 or early in the second day. As I understand, the first 100 rifles were 30-GOVT-06.

I probably should have bought a couple of other pre-war 70s over the years including the one mentioned earlier sold on the' fire. Interestingly, ALL of those were '06's, too!

Enjoy and never pass by a pawn or gun shop w/o a "look"! You never know...

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Good Stuff! Thank You

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
My two favorites are .257 Roberts and .338 Winchester Magnum.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
That is cool Lundtroller!

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
270 W.C.F and 375 "Magnum"

IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Poconojack
Good Stuff! Thank You

Originally Posted by Marshal_Dillon
That is cool Lundtroller!

And another.
👍👍

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Lundtroller: Thank you for sharing the great pictures and the great story of your "1st day" Model 70!
Good for you and take care of that prized firearm.
Love me some pre-war charcoal blued Model 70's!
Long live the Riflemans Rifle.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
300 H&H has always seemed just right for a pre 64 M70 to me.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
22 hornet and a 3006

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Yes thank you Lundtroller That was nice to see! Great gun! Nice pics!!

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by sbrmike
Yep.

And I appreciate him looking for the ultimate long term custodian of that historical gun. It ultimately needs to be a museum following Lundtroller’s tenure as caretaker.

DF

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In my younger days I dreamed of Africa with a 300 and a 375 H&H in the gun racks. Nowadays a .257 and 7x57 Mauser would be preferable - and if that 257 were a custom rifle in a Featherweight configuration I'd smile even more. smile

"Rhetoric is no substitute for reality." -Thomas Sowell
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by sbrmike
Yep.

And I appreciate him looking for the ultimate long term custodian of that historical gun. It ultimately needs to be a museum following Lundtroller’s tenure as caretaker.

DF

Thanks for the nice comments and glad that the "gun" resonates with M70 lovers.

Really stupid luck that I ended up with it even though I do certainly spend time "looking". I had been in the specific "pawn shop" many times as I lived in that community for close to 10 years. There was actually another shop in town where I had scored many more "finds" including a Colt 2nd series "Woodsman", Win 64 30/30, and a pre64 308 FWT, all for amazing prices! Those are the ones that stand out anyway. The "pawn shop" where I got the '06 in the pictures did not display their guns very nicely AND had the reputation of calling and letting the local LEOs sift through everything first before putting them up for sale! That was fine but I never really had my hopes up for purchasing anything worthwhile there... until the day I walked in and spied the '06 sitting as described in the cluttered safe. When I saw it was a pre-war '06, I really was not that excited as I don't find them optimal for "using" unless they have been drilled/tapped/"altered", etc. This one had an old rubber slip on pad on it as well so I wondered, too, if it had been "cut". As mentioned before, I was totally unprepared/in disbelief when I turned it over and saw the SN. I'm lucky I did not drop the gun trying to rub my eyes!!! I told the owner I was "really interested" in the gun and asked if I could try to take the slip on pad off... he said yes and it literally just crumbled off leaving that beautiful steel buttplate in full view. I didn't "dicker" on price (like I usually do!) and could not get my wallet out fast enough (it would have been on a very fair price on any '06 (std. or fwt) at the time).

Luck? or something was shining down on mw that day... I also bought a NIB Colt CLR '06 that was standing in the safe, too! That gun was later sold to a member of the 'fire here. I should have directly driven 4 hours to Colorado or Idaho to buy a lottery ticket!!!

Wrt the M70, I happened to know one of the local LEOs (mentioned earlier) who had purchased some nice Winchester levers and Colt pistols over the years at this pawn shop over the years. He was a good guy for sure but pretty "competitive", too! When I told him about the '06, he did not believe me... when I showed it too him he just went silent, smiled and shook his head. I think he was a little pissed!

Will close by saying that I liked how Melvin Forbes said his guns were on ?"temporary loan" to their new owners like he still retained a significant "interest" in them! That said a lot about the man and his commitment to his craft/skill. I feel the same way about the "70" mentioned when I pull it out of the safe to hold and stare at occasionally. Not sure who "loaned" it to me but it will likely be around long after me, hopefully serving a purpose of some sort greater than what it was doing in that old safe. ACTUALLY, it would have been "BEST" if the original owner's family knew what they were getting rid of but that is another mystery.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
308 Win
300 Win Mag.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by bapple
All-time favorite 270 win in a 1955 FW rifle most used center fire rifle I own. Rifle has been rebarreled FW Douglas XX. This rifle still has factory stock that has been reworked completely (RJ Renner Sparkes NV). I have used it since early 80s. I had a pre 64 FW 30/06 with bad barrel rebored to a 338/06 still has factory barrel just rebored. A great caliber for elk and bear on west end WA state. But I reverted to my old 270 this year for deer. I also have a Cliff LaBounty Rebore in pre 64 model 70 a 300 H&H rebored to 375 H&H. It's like a FW 375 H&H. Not a rifle you go shoot 3 boxes of shells with at the range. You have to carry it all the time only shoot it once in a while on hunt. 338/06 and 375 H&H both have composite stocks. 375 with scope and loaded less than 9 pounds.
Really though I could have saved a lot of money and time and done most everything with 270 Winchester. I have had sold traded a bunch pre 64 model 70s along the way. Need has nothing to do with it. I had a lot of fun. For a set or rifles and calibers to use and travel North American, world with 270 Winchester, 375 H&H would be my choice. A 30/06 may be a little more common since choice for travel. But after 40 plus years I shoot my 270 really well.
270 Winchester.
375H&H

I would like to se the .270 worked over by RJ Reiner!

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 1minute, 1OntarioJim, 1234, 1Longbow, 59 invisible), 2,195 guests, and 1,344 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,927
Posts18,479,845
Members73,953
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.