Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Got no issues with my Commodore 64 and tape drive

DON’T BE TOO PROUD OF THIS TECHNOLOGICAL TERROR YOU’VE CONSTRUCTED. THE ABILITY TO DESTROY A PLANET IS INSIGNIFICANT NEXT TO THE POWER OF THE FORCE.

- Darth Vader

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
No, MX is a version of Linux. Swifty would know that, which is why I didn't explain it to all. For your reference, however, go HERE

It's a very good Operating System. I don't normally recommend it to Linux newbies because it has so many configuration options and choices that it can be intimidating. You can truly make it look and work ANY way you like. But that's why it can also be confusing. For all its capabilities, though, it uses surprisingly little resources and is great on older machines. If I didn't like Mint so much, I'd use MX as my daily driver.

Just to be complete, the other two version of Linux that I do recommend are:

For most Windows users, MINT or ZORIN

(Zorin has a Pro version that you have to buy. It contains extra software for graphics designers and video creators. The Core version is free and has everything most people need.)

Last edited by RockyRaab; 04/12/24.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Thank you RockyRaab. I've been looking into seriously delving into the Linux knowledge base. I appreciate the response.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Good. I'm a Linux missionary, and love any and all "converts."

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
MacBook Air 13" screen all you'll need!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RockyRaab

I will convert when Linux can run iTunes and talk to Apple products. Good luck.

Swifty
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
1 word.

Linux.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna

[Linked Image from media.tenor.com]

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Swifty52

Apple version updates would give us something to to do for sure. Folks running production printers could almost count on some change that would take them down or take away some feature they depended on. Lots of high end private schools run all Apple environments. They were a constant pain trying to get fleet management software and or embedded apps to work and keep working. Some had Window$$ servers on site as a go between that was easier to manage. They also had NAS devices to capture paper scans then allow the Apple boxes to access that. Direct scan to Apple back then was way more trouble than it was worth. I'm sure things have changed a lot since I was fooling with it all, hopefully for the better.

As bad as I detest Micro$oft at least we could get things going in that environment. I still have a Window$ box here to run tax software. I intend to so something different next year. Win 10 is on the way out for a lot of hardware Win 11 won't support. I'm actually looking forward to scarfing up some nice boxes just because Win 11 won't run on it.

I fixed up an old dell laptop with Mint for my wife, she loves it and she has been (and still is for work) a Window$ user from way back.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm sure you know that Linux systems can and will run many Windows apps using a go-between program like Wine. Some like Zorin come with Windows App Support built in.

I'd never try to "convert" somebody who truly loves Windows. But is there anybody like that? Really?

IC B3

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Sharpsman
MacBook Air 13" screen all you'll need!

Works for me.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by blindshooter
Originally Posted by Swifty52

As bad as I detest Micro$oft at least we could get things going in that environment. I still have a Window$ box here to run tax software. I intend to so something different next year. Win 10 is on the way out for a lot of hardware Win 11 won't support. I'm actually looking forward to scarfing up some nice boxes just because Win 11 won't run on it.

I fixed up an old dell laptop with Mint for my wife, she loves it and she has been (and still is for work) a Window$ user from way back.

Yep Win 10 is on the way out 2025 is EOL. Whether or not MS gives out a permanent license with no support hasnt been divulged, if they dont the software just quits working after 1 year. At that point Zorin HD will be swapped into that laptop.
Now as to picking up cheap laptops 189.00 bucks bought me a 3 year old refurbished corporate lease return Dell loaded with Win 10 pro and updated to 11 Pro on registration. Quite impressed looks and runs like new, came with a 1 year no BS warranty.

Rocky, wine cant talk to itunes as its not a MS app, secondly Linux without iTunes cant sync or talk to Apple iOS which means without it I cant keep backups for my phone or iPad or the 2 iPods, nor can I load any music or podcasts or anything else onto the devices making the iPods worthless. Phone and iPad can use the cloud, but you cant store music on the cloud. I havent listened to radio or cd since 2006 since I can just plug in a USB cord to my stereo connected to phone, iPad or 1 of the iPods and have access to roughly 75 gig of music.
Do I love MS nope, but its a necessary evil in another couple ways, as in the logic software i need to talk to Siemens PLC’s wont run on linux or apple, neither will my software for Allen Bradley or GE Fanuc. Those make money.

Swifty
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Well, you've locked yourself into Apple. So naturally that's what you'll stick with. There are other formats for music which wouldn't lock you in, but it's pointless to tell you that because you've accumulated a huge library of iTunes. Ditto your logic software. Boxed in.

My message is to those millions of people who use Windows because that's what came on their machine, but they hate it. They don't use proprietary software and in fact do little on their computer above browsing the internet and doing a bit of word processing/spreadsheeting. Maybe a few games.

A Linux OS like Mint comes with a browser (and can install others with a click or two), a complete office suite, a video and audio player, support for thousands of games, and much more. All totally free, constantly supported, devoid of almost all data tracking, infinitely customizable or usable right out of the box, a graphical interface, and totally under your own control.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Lol, I started programming PLC’s in 87 which is before Windows and Linux. Cant hardly lock yourself in when the manufacturers only write programs in DOS until 95 then only written for windows. Thats their decision you either comply or give up your income.
Here again for someone espousing that Linux will keep old machines running and usable also thinks that giving up old functional devices that still do exactly what you want just because of an OS.

As far as my music library, that currently resides on a DLNA 1T drive plugged into my network, iTunes only comes into play for loading up devices for travel.

Swifty
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 10ring1, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 62 invisible), 2,458 guests, and 1,324 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,203
Posts18,485,258
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.