Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
N
OP Offline
N
What is your go to varmint caliber for your contender? I recently had ordered a custom barrel in 20 tactical and the maker couldn’t get it done so now I’m rethinking the decision want recommendations please

GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I sold my Contender gear some years ago but you might look at MGM, Match Grade Machine.

They list 20 Tactical and 20 Practical among others in their chamber list.

Let us know what you decide!

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

Last edited by Muffin; 04/10/24.

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
N
OP Offline
N
Haha I will only say Bullberry won’t be the to get the job. I already the dies and brass is sized and primer and a few different bullets to try. I waited 10 or 11 months and finally just wanted my deposit back.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I have a couple of barrels that MGM made for me. I am very happy with them. They are not varmint calibers, 7mm-08 and a 45-70. but they shoot very good. I would not hesitate to order another barrel from them.

IC B2

N
OP Offline
N
I have 2 from mgm and they seem top notch a 6.5cm in the encore and a .22lr match in the contender. I agree with the mgm responses!

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Nathan30
What is your go to varmint caliber for your contender? I recently had ordered a custom barrel in 20 tactical and the maker couldn’t get it done so now I’m rethinking the decision want recommendations please

Currently .22 magnum (10") and .357 magnum (also 10"). I had a 14" .204 which was a failure. Abusive blast, not much accuracy. I feel the same way about .223 in a 14" barrel. Something like the older tapered 16-1/4" barrels on a handgun frame might be better. If I were buying today I'd pick from .17 Hornet, .17 FB or Mach IV, or .221 FB in a 14" barrel. Maker .. hard to say. MGM probably. I'm thinking of ordering a barrel but I'm not recommending my choice .. .25-20 WCF. Not set on it so .. better to waffle before spending than after.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by T_O_M
I had a 14" .204 which was a failure. Abusive blast, not much accuracy. I feel the same way about .223 in a 14" barrel.

I donno. A 14” .223 seems alright to me:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Guess it depends on what it takes to be satisfied.

Every day’s an adventure.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Exchipy

Yep. Noticing that's at 200 yards, I'd be pretty happy. Looks like maybe 1.25"? That was about the best I could manage at 100 yards with mine.

Thinking of long barrels .. at one time I owned a 24" bull barrel for a TC chambered in .17 Remington. I stuck it on a contender handgun frame and hung a harris bipod out toward the end of the barrel. It was goofy looking but it'd shoot pretty well. I think the limit was optics.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When I had a Contender I had a barrel in 7mmTCU. With a 120 gr Nosler BT it was accurate out to 200 yards. Took several deer and coyotes with it. It is strictly a hand loaders round but very effective

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by T_O_M
Yep. Noticing that's at 200 yards, I'd be pretty happy. Looks like maybe 1.25"? That was about the best I could manage at 100 yards with mine.

I’m not right now where I can pull that target for measurement. But, I’d say that 4 of the 5 could maybe confirm your guess. It’s that 8 o’clock stray which likely opens things up to about 2-1/2” (still easily Minute of Coyote). Thinking back on that sight-in session, I seem to recall that the previous five looked closer together, but all outside the black. The ammo for that session was A-USA 55 V-Max factory loads, which have proven surprisingly precise, a disincentive to try to beat them through handloading.

Good trigger control and consistency of grip can make that sorta thing happen pretty regular-like. The adjustability of the Contender trigger, of that vintage, certainly helps, too. The Leupold 2.5-8x32 EER is getting close to the maximum useable magnification for such a pistol on varmints. Much more, and there’s a tendency to lose track of the critter outside the limited field of view.

Edit: Because you got me curious this morning, I just had to pull the target when I got back to the house. The tight four were a wee bit less than 1-1/4” (1.1-something), and the stray opened the group to a bit over 2-1/2” (2.6-something).

N
OP Offline
N
That’s a good looking target to come from a short barrel this is the reason why I ask the question it’s better to ask experience than go to college (pay for the item first)

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That’s a good looking target to come from a short barrel this is the reason why I ask the question it’s better to ask experience than go to college (pay for the item first)

One should never sell Contender pistols short (pun unavoidable). Accuracy and precision are far more dependent upon sighting and having enough gun to properly hold onto, than they are upon barrel length (within reason, of course).

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i have a Bull Berrry 17 Remington , 22 K-Hornet ,and now on order a 17 Hornet 18 inch . i have rifles in each of these chamberings but i think the 17 Hornet is going to be the funniest for me and very little recoil ,cheap to shoot . good luck with your choice,Pete53

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Leupold 2.5-8x32 EER is getting close to the maximum useable magnification for such a pistol on varmints. Much more, and there’s a tendency to lose track of the critter outside the limited field of view.

Because its magnification, elevation and parallax can all be quickly adjusted for different range or for when searching out targets, this Burris Veracity 2-10x42 on my 14” .22LR Match barrel represents a good maximum:

5 shots using LAPUA Center X on 6” steel @ 200 yards, with elevation at 24 MOA above its 50 yard zero. So, there’s absolutely no way this could ever reasonably be called “flat shooting.”

WARNING: As this particular scope is a rifle scope, with correspondingly short eye relief, its use on a pistol with any appreciable recoil would be just asking for eye or forehead injury. While I wouldn’t hesitate to use it on a .22WMR barrel, and possibly even a .17 or .22 Hornet barrel, its use on a .223 barrel is certainly out.

But, Burris also makes a 3-12x32 handgun scope, with appropriately extended eye relief, one of which I’ve mounted on my 14” .30 Herrett barrel. While I’ve not yet had the opportunity to shoot with it, in bore sighting it, I can already tell you that it’s very easy to lose track of a target at 12x. So, its only real advantages over my Leupold 2.5-8x are its parallax adjustment and the elevation hash marks on its reticle:

Those longer yardages seem mighty optimistic.

N
OP Offline
N
That’s awesome do you find the bipods better than a bag?
And .22lr really isn’t the idea flat shooting lol. Pete53 I still don’t own any .17cal for some reason not sure why.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That’s awesome do you find the bipods better than a bag?
Certainly easier to pack around.

I’ve got an alternative pistol grip screw which has a sling swivel stud on the end, in place of a regular slotted or Allen head. If I swap it in, I can then fasten one end of a carrying sling to it and the other end to the bipod. Talk about convenient portability for long walks through acres and acres of ground squirrel infested alfalfa fields …

Both the .22LR and .223 barrels saw extensive combat during the Eastern Modoc County Squirrel Wars of the late 1990s. For some fun reading, Google “Modoc County Squirrel Wars.”

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
TOM: I have to disagree somewhat with your condemnation of the Thompson Contender's in 223 Remington.
I have two friends that bought those 25+ years ago and I watched them shoot Colony Varmints (Rock Chucks and Prairie Dogs) with their 223's out to amazing distances (300+ yards on occasion!).
I was so impressed with their performances that I went way out of my norm and bought myself a T/C Contender pistol in 223 Remington with a 14" heavy barrel and a Burris 3x9 pistol scope for it.
I was amazed at how well it and "I" could shoot with that rig.
Admittedly this is a somewhat small "test group" but all three of these T/C 223's shoot so very well.
This T/C is the only one I have ever owned but I am sure thrilled with it.
It took me a while to "adjust" myself to being able to find Colony Varmints in the smallish field of view of the Burris scope but I learned.
I use good quality ear protection when I shoot my T/C - no problemo. If I am shooting prone it WILL kick up some dust as well - but again livable for me.

So for the original poster (Nathan 30) I do NOT wish to talk him out of a 20 caliber Contender - in fact if the 20's had been available (and the reloading components) back then I may have chosen one of them.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I shoot a 20 TAC (TOP 22 inch Bull Barrel shot as a Pistol) and a 20 VarTarg (BOTTOM 16 inch Step Barrel also shot as a Pistol). Both are dum-dum accurate at 100 yards. I would not hesitate to shoot at 250-300 yards with the VarTarg and 400 + with the 20 TAC. Both are OTT barrels. 20 Calibers are hard to beat in a Contender.
Safe Shooting
Doug

Enjoy life but remember, we are only practicing for something Better
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have a 20 Vartarg 20” MGM barrel that will shoot 3 shot groups almost as good as Tred’s . I like the Vartarg better than the larger .20s like the Ruger as the muzzle blast, while still significant, is less and it allows you to mark your own shots. Pretty handy in a prairie dog town. A

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

80 members (10Glocks, 35, BALLISTIK, 308ld, 808outdoors, AdventureBound, 7 invisible), 1,165 guests, and 761 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,868
Posts18,478,688
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.