Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
LOL
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Just a Hunter: My wifes great uncle was the National Bison Range Manager for MANY years and I always relished going there over the decades and photographing the Mule Deer, Whitetailed Deer, Bighorn Sheep, Antelope, Buffalo and especially the Elk.
I have some amazing pictures of those creatures.
THEN.... a while ago, someone got the "bright idea" to turn over the management/ownership of the National Bison Range to the Indian folks.
Well to make long story short my friend from Germany came over for a visit two Septembers ago and he wanted to tour Glacier Park and the National Bison Range.
Glacier Park went amazingly well but when we visited the "National" Bison Range I was devastated!
We did NOT see one Elk - did NOT see a Deer of any kind with horns (saw two Whitetailed Does) - did not see a single Bighorn Sheep - did NOT see any Antelope and there were just a paltry amount of Buffalo on the whole range!
I was so frigging mad I wanted to lash out at the Indian folks in the visitor center but that would have been bad form in front of my visiting German speaking friend.
I was "seething" as we drove out of the Bison Range and then, to TOP IT OFF, there was a cluster of Indian folks SELLING Elk, Deer and Buffalo "jerky" just outside the exit of the Bison Range beside the road!
FMB!
I hope our visit during the height of the Elk/Antelope rutting seasons was somehow an aberration but over the decades I am certain I have toured the National Bison Range at least 35 times and ALWAYS, prior to the "shift in management", saw an abundance of every one of the above mentioned Big Game species.
I hope someone has a better news "review" for you.
I know I won't be buying my way into that "range" again until the game herds are recovered.
Sad.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

I just talked to a friend who lives near there and he agrees with you.

GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Not elk, but I seen a few bucks with antlers on last week.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Almost all the elk I'm around drop in March. AFew younger bulls will hold on until about the 7th of April.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
Dibs on the second from right.P

Heck, I'd swing through and squeeze the trigger reeeeaaaal slow. smile

It's climate change.....

VG - dontcha know AmerInds are natural and responsible super conservationists? Get with the program, man!

Last edited by las; 04/13/24.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've seen elk still packing horns on tax day while bear hunting. By the end of the month they have almost always dropped and by the end of May they can be a couple feet long.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
IC B2

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

67 members (6mmbrfan, 358wsm, 10Glocks, 907brass, Algotguns, Akhutr, 10 invisible), 1,402 guests, and 850 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,243
Posts18,485,928
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.