Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Had a neighbor in Arizona that put a pond on his property.
I asked him if he went the Fed. Gooberment program way of Stocking his Pond.
He told me that there were way to many strings attached with the Federal program
He went to the State and they told him what he could have and he purchased them direct from them.

That was around 6 years ago and he has to many for the size of his pond.

When I get my pond up and running I will be approaching him about purchasing some of his fish from him.

Good Luck with how it works out for ya.

had a neighbor

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by slumlord
Do you have a county agricultural extension agent?
Yeah, something along those lines.

And check with the ODFW to see what's legal..............or take you chances if the pond fails and you introduce a non-native fish into a salmon/steelhead watershed. They'd not be happy with you.

You would be better off calling up your local DNR and getting hold of a fish biologist .

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have built three ponds. I always stock fathead minnows for the base of the food chain, the year after stock your game fish they will have plenty to eat. Ypu will also find fish you did not stock . I think the birds or other critters bring eggs from other waterways.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Huntz

And check with the ODFW to see what's legal..............or take you chances if the pond fails and you introduce a non-native fish into a salmon/steelhead watershed. They'd not be happy with you.

You would be better off calling up your local DNR and getting hold of a fish biologist .
ODFW, the Oregon Dept of FISH and Wildlife is where one would go to get hold of a fish biologist.

It's likely the OP, living in Oregon, knows who ODFW is and that they deal with FISH

Oregon does not seem to have a DNR, "natural resources": seems to fall under the Ag dept.

https://www.oregon.gov/ODA/programs/NaturalResources/Pages/Default.aspx

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Ringman,

you may want to consider something else

Where are you getting the water to fill your pond? You may want to find out if you need a permit, if you haven't done so already, to fill the darn thing once built. Do you have rights to the water you're going to use?

Some interesting info here

https://www.schwabe.com/publication/oregon-water-law-questions-and-answers/

Who owns the water?

Oregon law provides that all water is publicly owned. With only a few exceptions, a water right is required before any person (including a city, business or other entity) may divert water from its natural course and put it to “beneficial use.”

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S

ODFW, the Oregon Dept of FISH and Wildlife is where one would go to get hold of a fish biologist.

It's likely the OP, living in Oregon, knows who ODFW is and that they deal with FISH

Oregon does not seem to have a DNR, "natural resources": seems to fall under the Ag dept.

Damn, it's nothing short of amazing how you figured that out. I would've just gone on the internet and posted a question.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Maybe pray for some fish.

Works for socket sets I hear....

You're thinking of loaves.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ringman,

Where are you getting the water to fill your pond? You may want to find out if you need a permit, if you haven't done so already, to fill the darn thing once built. Do you have rights to the water you're going to use?

Who owns the water?

Oregon law provides that all water is publicly owned. With only a few exceptions, a water right is required before any person (including a city, business or other entity) may divert water from its natural course and put it to “beneficial use.”
Is it that complicated out west? That’s an honest question. I’ve never heard of filling a pond with water. It seems like that would require a crazy number of trucks to fill and keep full.

In this part of the country ponds are dug and the water table fills it. Digging out a pond in regions where the water table can’t fill it wouldn’t seem feasible.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
Is it that complicated out west? That’s an honest question.

It is. Here, you're not even supposed to collect rainwater off your roof.

Water is scarce over much of the west. Seven states are now trying to work out how to divvy up water from the Colorado River. If people in Colorado diverted the water that originates here, downstream users would be royally screwed.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Depth and size determine the fish type. Bass require cooler water, thus depth. Buegill, love warm shallower water. You need to make shelves for shallow water grass that allows fresh water shrimp to grow, they are the base of the food chain.
If you have no connection to running water, creek or river, it is an agricultural pond and beyond government control. However put in a dam, with run off, and that brings them back into play.

I have two ponds, the wading birds bring fish and frog eggs with them. a their legs. The herons are protected and will raid your fish ponds. We have bald eagles come fishing, also.

“To expect defeat is nine-tenths of defeat itself. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. It is best to plan for all eventualities then believe in success, and only cross the failure bridge if you come to it."
Francis Marion - The Swamp Fox
IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
Dang eagles will flat do a number on fish that come to surface,,, anything under 2 bs are in danger,,

I AM AMERICA!
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by funshooter
Had a neighbor in Arizona that put a pond on his property.
I asked him if he went the Fed. Gooberment program way of Stocking his Pond.
He told me that there were way to many strings attached with the Federal program
He went to the State and they told him what he could have and he purchased them direct from them.

That was around 6 years ago and he has to many for the size of his pond.

When I get my pond up and running I will be approaching him about purchasing some of his fish from him.

Good Luck with how it works out for ya.

had a neighbor
here if the state stocks it you have to allow access to the public.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Southern Oregon can get hot.

A shallow pond in Medford will get too hot for trout

Normally trout are in ponds north of Grants Pass (rainy section of Oregon)

So
Local weather conditions will matter

Where is this pond exactly?

Last edited by BMT; 04/13/24.

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by smokepole

Damn, it's nothing short of amazing how you figured that out. I would've just gone on the internet and posted a question.

See that award there in my avatar space.........................

it ain't there fer nuthin' bub.

In it is contentment

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Water is scarce over much of the west. Seven states are now trying to work out how to divvy up water from the Colorado River. If people in Colorado diverted the water that originates here, downstream users would be royally screwed.
And we have RIGHTS, dammnit!

In it is contentment

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Rights? You live in California 😂

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
How deep is it?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Ringman,

Who owns the water?

Is it that complicated out west? That’s an honest question. I’ve never heard of filling a pond with water. It seems like that would require a crazy number of trucks to fill and keep full.

In this part of the country ponds are dug and the water table fills it. Digging out a pond in regions where the water table can’t fill it wouldn’t seem feasible.

Yeah, as smokepole points out it's complicated. Not only from a water standpoint but from an aquatic organism standpoint too. A pond stocked with non-native predatory fish, or even just "minnows" , located in a watershed that doesn't already have those species, may or may not be allowed depending on the site ( and maye which State your pond is in) . Especially if you want to put the pond in a watershed that has listed aquatic species.

Depending on location, digging a pond down to the water table would be problematic. Would have to be an awfully deep pond here to hit water, as in 60'+ here in a wet year and we're on the valley floor. We ain't flat like some other States, neither is Southern OR where the OP is. Ponds would then have to be filled with runoff (which someone else might have rights to) or well water, which in some States is already a permitted deal.

Unfortunately, experience has shown that ponds fail and fish etc get out into the local waters, or folks get tired of their pond and drain it but don't want to kill their fish and down the pipe they go too. Ooops, grass carp now in a watershed that didn't have them previously. Not every State wants flying carp in their rivers/lakes.

Someone earlier in the thread (Dillon???) mentioned catching some fish and putting them in your pond. Don't get caught doing that in some states, that'll cause trouble for sure. Especially if those fish, and the water used to get them home to the pond, came from waters with hydrilla, or non-native mussels and crawdads and such.

In it is contentment

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Our neighbor cleaned out a mud hole.
It's a really nice little lake now. Probably a half acre.
Two years now and it's doing great.

I'm thinking "copper nose bluegill"!
Grow fast, great eating, tough little fish.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Rights? You live in California 😂

Well, if you're an early settler you have water rights at least.

I have a seasonal creek with two branches joining on our property. I cannot stop or impede that water from getting downstream as I don't have the rights to it.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

This water flows in from the other side of the property, off BLM land. I can't stop or impede it either. Goes under the road and into the creek after it flows onto the neighbor's place.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I can, at least in this State for the moment, collect rain water that falls on the hard surface roofs of our house and outbuildings.

And of course, everyone has the "right" to camp on public property like sidewalks and stuff eek eek

In it is contentment

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

665 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 160user, 75 invisible), 3,064 guests, and 1,353 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,228
Posts18,485,631
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.