Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by moosemike
Originally Posted by Direct_Drive
Longmire and Yellowstone changed the demand. Hunters wanting a cheap rifle grab the Savage Axis. People buy leverguns now because they want them
The anti-gunners and ban states have been targeting semi-autos and standard capacity magazines.
Leverguns fly under their radar and that is one reason for the uptick in levergun popularity.

That's definitely true too. That's why the Marlin rep told me they're working on a Marlin 1894 in 9mm Luger with 20 shot capacity

For real?

I'm in.

There's the excuse I needed to pay the Ruger price.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think they will sell a bunch of them in 9mm ,with all the restrictions on semi autos in chitt hole places with the available of cheep ammo will make it easy. plus for people with not a lot of experince in larger cal. guns

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
9mm in a levergun ?
Seems like it would take some clever engineering to make those short 9mm cartridges cycle reliably in a tube-fed.

B L M - Bureau of Land Management
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
It's not just a modern thing with the Yellowstone series. Lever guns and single action revolvers would have died after WW-1 had it not been for the proliferation of cowboy movies made from the 1920's to the 1970's. Our grandfathers were influenced by what they saw on the silver screen too.

At one time I had 12 different Marlin and Winchester lever guns. I liked them, enjoyed shooting them at the range, but from a performance perspective they are really lacking. When prices started creeping up, I gave one each to my kids and sold all but 2. I got anywhere from 3X to 6X what I paid for each of them. If I'd held out a little longer, I could have gotten even more. I thought the people who paid the prices they paid for mine were nuts then.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
9mm in a levergun ?
Seems like it would take some clever engineering to make those short 9mm cartridges cycle reliably in a tube-fed.

You mean like they figured out long ago with the .22LR?

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Feral_American
9mm in a levergun ?

LOL
I wouldn't equate those two.
22LR has a better shape and it's rimmed.
We'll see how they do with 9mm.

B L M - Bureau of Land Management
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
9mm in a levergun ?

LOL

Yeah, hope they nail it because I want one.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
9mm in a levergun ?

Now that I think back on it he also mentioned the 45 ACP

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JMR40
It's not just a modern thing with the Yellowstone series. Lever guns and single action revolvers would have died after WW-1 had it not been for the proliferation of cowboy movies made from the 1920's to the 1970's. Our grandfathers were influenced by what they saw on the silver screen too.

At one time I had 12 different Marlin and Winchester lever guns. I liked them, enjoyed shooting them at the range, but from a performance perspective they are really lacking. When prices started creeping up, I gave one each to my kids and sold all but 2. I got anywhere from 3X to 6X what I paid for each of them. If I'd held out a little longer, I could have gotten even more. I thought the people who paid the prices they paid for mine were nuts then.

The performance isn't lacking at all in the Woods. Yeah they're not Prairie guns but under 200 yards the performance isn't the problem I'll promise you that. And your Cowboy movies don't explain Savage 99 sales

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Thought I'sd share a pic of one I kinda like, 1953 SC Box, hang tags and Marlin patch[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sweet. I had three of those

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It’s simply more expensive to produce lever actions than ARs or Tupperware®️ bolt-actions. Used prices are driven by nostalgia to some degree, maybe TV, but also by the prices of new ones and limited availability, plus the expectation that older one will work properly.

I bought a decent used pre-safety 336 a couple of years ago, my first, and while it worked perfectly and shot acceptably well, it was as heavy as a couple of commercial 98s, and the finish was mediocre, just like the 1894 and a couple of 39s I owned before. My curiosity has been satisfied and I’ll stick to bolt actions, falling blocks, and maybe an AR or two. Hell, my Henry SS, a .357, is much better-finished, with seriously nice wood, and cost much much less than a beater 336 brings, about 1/2 or less than a new levergun costs. I suppose older Marlins from the 50s or thereabouts, along with Winchesters from the same era are nicer, and worth the price, but I think I’m done with all of them.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Pappy348
It’s simply more expensive to produce lever actions than ARs or Tupperware®️ bolt-actions. Used prices are driven by nostalgia to some degree, maybe TV, but also by the prices of new ones and limited availability, plus the expectation that older one will work properly.

I bought a decent used pre-safety 336 a couple of years ago, my first, and while it worked perfectly and shot acceptably well, it was as heavy as a couple of commercial 98s, and the finish was mediocre, just like the 1894 and a couple of 39s I owned before. My curiosity has been satisfied and I’ll stick to bolt actions, falling blocks, and maybe an AR or two. Hell, my Henry SS, a .357, is much better-finished, with seriously nice wood, and cost much much less than a beater 336 brings, about 1/2 or less than new levergun costs. I suppose older Marlins from the 50s or thereabouts, along with Winchesters from the same era are nicer, and worth the price, but I think I’m done with all of them.

For most of my life they made a lot of sense for me and I did well with them. But anymore as the big northern woods I hunt matures I'm getting more and more opportunities beyond 200 yards. Of course since it is maturing I get way less opportunities but more of those are at long range. So I'm trying to wean myself off of lever actions and just become a bolt guy for the most part too

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
9mm in a levergun ?

LOL

Hah! Based on the PCC market, nobody will want them unless they take Glock mags 😛

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B

I bought a decent used pre-safety 336 a couple of years ago, my first, and while it worked perfectly and shot acceptably well, it was as heavy as a couple of commercial 98s, and the finish was mediocre, just like the 1894 and a couple of 39s I owned before. My curiosity has been satisfied and I’ll stick to bolt actions, falling blocks, and maybe an AR or two. Hell, my Henry SS, a .357, is much better-finished, with seriously nice wood, and cost much much less than a beater 336 brings, about 1/2 or less than new levergun costs. I suppose older Marlins from the 50s or thereabouts, along with Winchesters from the same era are nicer, and worth the price, but I think I’m done with all of them.

For most of my life they made a lot of sense for me and I did well with them. But anymore as the big northern woods I hunt matures I'm getting more and more opportunities beyond 200 yards. Of course since it is maturing I get way less opportunities but more of those are at long range. So I'm trying to wean myself off of lever actions and just become a bolt guy for the most part too
200 yard shots don't faze me with my .30-30. I've shot several deer between 200 and 250 yards and killed every one with a single shot but 250 is about my comfortable limit. The last couple seasons I've been hunting a new spot with longer shot possibilities {out to 400 ish} so have been taking one of my bolt guns. Last season I killed one at 285 with my .243 and the season before one at 270 with my 6.5 Creedmoor. The most amazing thing is both were killed with a single shot, no dialing needed and my crappy Leupold scopes steered my bullets exactly where I intended. That and the 270 yarder was killed 28 minutes after sunset, just 2 minutes before the buzzer without 2000.00 "alpha glass" or an illuminated reticle. Talk about miracles huh ? LOL !

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
During the off season last year, the DNR bush-hogged most of the head-high weed fields on the local WMA, disked them up and planted food plots. Now, depending on where I sit, shots can be as long as nearly 300, though the terrain might interfere with the view. Lost a lot of bedding cover, but gained the opportunity to watch a bunch of grab-ass activity during the rut. All things considered, an improvement, and I’m thinking the turkeys will like the new strutting grounds.

Previously, 50 yards was about as far as deer could be seen from the ground for the most part.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Blackheart

200 yard shots don't faze me with my .30-30. I've shot several deer between 200 and 250 yards and killed every one with a single shot but 250 is about my comfortable limit. The last couple seasons I've hunting a new spot with longer shot possibilities {out to 400 ish} so have been taking one of my bolt guns. Last season I killed one at 285 with my .243 and the season before one at 270 with my 6.5 Creedmoor. The most amazing thing is both were killed with a single shot, no dialing needed and my crappy Leupold scopes steered my bullets exactly where I intended. That and the 270 yarder was killed 28 minutes after sunset, just 2 minutes before the buzzer without 2000.00 "alpha glass" or an illuminated reticle. Talk about miracles huh ? LOL !

I've done 200 with my 30-30 but opportunities exist out to 300 where I hunt. It didn't used to be that way

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I think you have to consider how things changed once Remington took over. Kinda like what happened when Winchester shut down. That set people to scrambling once they realized there wouldn’t be any more and drove the prices up. They’ve came down some since the frenzy but they’re never gonna be “like it was”. I bought a ‘67 Malibu Sport Coupe at a dealership in 1985 for $850 out the door. Unmolested, all original and in phenomenal condition. That’ll never happen again.

Multiple lever action platforms debuted at Shot Show 2024. What effect do you think that will have?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I picked up a 336 Texan straight stock Marlin with the 18.5" barrel today for $400 in 30-30 of course.

LOL
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Year and a half ago I bought a n.i.b condition Remington 760, May of 1979 production, .35 Remington for $1500. Considering her performance, she was a bargain. SPOOKY accurate and makes lovely batches of chest soup.
Just picked up a 1981 production Marlin 336, also a .35 for $500. Haven't shot her yet, so jury's out on bargain status...
Also got a new Ruger/ Marlin. 357 Model 1894. Paid a grand for that one. FINE little carbine that I'd put up against any original JM I've ever owned or held. Polite on the shoulder, buckets of fun to shoot and ACCURATE.
Long story short, if ya want it ya gotta pay. Always been that way. Always will be...

Keepin my back green and my powder dry.
The LORD bless and keep you
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

259 members (257_X_50, 10ring1, 1_deuce, 12savage, 264mag, 204guy, 32 invisible), 2,295 guests, and 1,261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,501
Posts18,490,489
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.