Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
All the talk about Avocados got me to thinking about some of my old haunts. Use to run up the Central Valley quite a bit, and along old route 99 in Pixley there used to be a small old cafe on a tree lined street. Best damn steak and eggs, pan fries, and biscuits and gravy you ever tasted. Would make it up there sometimes two or three times a month. And easy access, pull off 99 onto a two mile stretch of Center St and right in the middle was the cafe, dirt shoulder across the street with plenty of room to pull the rig over. Was a straight off and right back onto the 99 for a reasonably quick and great breakfast. And open from about 5am to 10pm... I hit that place day and night when in the area, wouldn't pass it by without stopping. That was back in the early 70's through the mid 80's. But I guess even the small farming towns have completely changed. Not there anymore. Seems like no matter what map I pull up; nothing is there anymore. It's a Shame...

Phil

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
GFY Phil
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Was there such a thing ?

Due to the increased price of ammo, don't expect a warning shot...
E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Oh well

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You were apparently their sole support, GG. You left and so they did, too.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No, not all are gone, but seems like only a few of the really good ones are still going. During all those years when we hauled our kids all over the country doing the scenic "geography home schooling", and when I was frequently on certain roads due to school/work, we had earmarked quite a few of those eateries as great. By far the places favored by the kids were truck stop cafes/restaurants. Much more interesting stuff - outside and inside - including the foot traffic. Some were called "diners".

It has been a slow diminishment of the species - probably a combo of reasons - more and more interstate truck routes and fewer on the old highways = less customers at the older sites, big chain brand truck stops/travel centers offereng wide range of stuff and pulling lots of customers now, fast food places in abundance almost everywhere (more attractive in the faster paced society), etc., etc..

Our long road travel days are about done, but still know of a few - mostly in the east and midwest - and will still try to get there as possible.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Omar’s Restaurant at Triple T Truck Stop on Interstate 10 and Craycroft, Tucson, AZ. Used to be a place called Jink’s Restaurant on the west side of Tucson but it’s long gone.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
When I was still making earplugs for the mines in Wyoming, I ate a lot of meals at Penny's Diner in Green River, Wy. It's still open. It's a true diner, built like the old railcar diners, just off I-80. LINK

It has been years now, but I fondly recall their HUGE breakfast burrito with in-house green salsa. Oh my...

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Asian Spas and Chicken Vindaloo.

abusus non tollit usum
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Phillis quit sucking dick behind the dumpsters and they closed down.

I am MAGA.
IC B3

G
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
Little man off that plywood horsey of yours again. You little pissant coward, your Mommie is calling you!

Phil

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Yeah, they’re pretty much all schitty little Mexican restaurants now. I can’t find a decent chicken fried steak anymore, but I can get tortillas and beans at a different place every single day for a month.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Greyghost
All the talk about Avocados got me to thinking about some of my old haunts. Use to run up the Central Valley quite a bit, and along old route 99 in Pixley there used to be a small old cafe on a tree lined street. Best damn steak and eggs, pan fries, and biscuits and gravy you ever tasted. Would make it up there sometimes two or three times a month. And easy access, pull off 99 onto a two mile stretch of Center St and right in the middle was the cafe, dirt shoulder across the street with plenty of room to pull the rig over. Was a straight off and right back onto the 99 for a reasonably quick and great breakfast. And open from about 5am to 10pm... I hit that place day and night when in the area, wouldn't pass it by without stopping. That was back in the early 70's through the mid 80's. But I guess even the small farming towns have completely changed. Not there anymore. Seems like no matter what map I pull up; nothing is there anymore. It's a Shame...

Phil

What would it matter to you? You support the Claus Schwab Nazi World Order Globalist Crew. They say we will eat insects, not meat.

If your brain hadn't been drug fried you'd remember he said we would eat insects.

Thanks to Trump and not to you, your buds Schwab, Soros and Faukki lied.

Trump didn't.

We will Make America Great Again.

Last edited by jaguartx; 04/13/24.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Leah’s Skyline Restaurant in Oklahoma City doesn’t even exist anymore.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Little man off that plywood horsey of yours again. You little pissant coward, your Mommie is calling you!

Phil

Your Commie named Zero is calling you. You've answered him before and you will again.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
G
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
And the other book-end fool shows up...

Phil

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Man, there used to be some great ones!
Gaspers in Kingdom City Missouri was a good one until they tore it down and put some kind of fast food joint in it.
Another good one was in Illinois along I-57. Can’t think of the name but there were 3 of them around Illinois. Just remembered,, it was “Dixie, Truckers Home”. They had pictures of drivers on the walls including my dads, until that location burned but they did rebuild.
Another was in Clearfield Pennsylvania along I-80,,they had really good spaghetti.
The really great truck stop diners were scattered all around this country at one time. Now they are pretty much a fond memory. Nothing but greasy fast food or subways. 😏😢
Sad really.

Last edited by tankerjockey; 04/13/24.

Its not always easy to do the right thing, But it is always the right thing to do.
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A

Phil

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J

Phil

They always said you gave a hell of a blow job Phyllis.

OG Lot lizard you are.

I am MAGA.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
As a kid i remember stopping in south ga in woodbine at a truck stop getting breakfast on our way to go to our fishing cabin at harrietts bluff in georgia. Great memories with a great man. My grandfather. All peoplewere great back then

Be reasonable. Do it my way!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (222ND, 1lessdog, 160user, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 68 invisible), 2,276 guests, and 1,259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,066
Posts18,482,544
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.