Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#19381650 04/13/24
W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Anyone have a hot tub? Any thoughts about them for bad backs, decreasing stress, and just plain relaxing. Maintenance, cleaning etc.?

I have seen inflatable ones that are far less costly than the traditional fiber glass ones. I'm thinking that could be a way to go to try one out without spending a bunch of money. Any thoughts about this?

Thanks for any wisdom anyone might wish to share.

GB4

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We have had several for the past 20 years and truly enjoy relaxing in them after a hard day. For lower cost, try a Softub as they work really well and are quite portable if need be. We are on our second Swim Spa, 7'x14'x4.6' deep and use it year round here in Upstate NY. As an entry model, the Softub really is great. We had ours for about 6-7 years before we moved and gave it away to a buddy. No special wiring is needed as it heats off the motor and when drained, cam be easily relocated. If you are looking to just try one to see if you like it, I would suggest Softub. Our swim spa was $28,000 but fits a ton of people when we have guest/family visiting and we use it for excercise.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
we have one that's currently our second one. this one is a Hot springs. it's a model they currently no longer make it is the largest one they ever made. landmark is the model. getting the water balance as soon as you fill it. is a key factor keeping it checked and balanced is easy once you learn everything. getting the ph and alkalinity correct will make the rest of it easy.
we've had this one for probably 8 years. before that we had a Sundance for many years. I like the shell of the Sundance better myself. I like the air injection of the Sundance that this new one does not have. my wife did not like that air injection that well
having a water softener treat the water you fill it with beforehand would be good but not necessary. spending extra money on a better quality top is a good thing.
feel free to pm with any direct questions.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by ldholton; 04/13/24.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
We're on our second one over about 20 years. It's good for my bad back and for relaxing in the evening or early morning. We find that we use it more in the winter, actually. No need to buy a great big fancy one if you don't plan to have the whole family in it. Our is a 3-person. Sit in a bunch to make sure it has the form and jets you want. I like the lounger, but my wife likes to sit up more. She checks the chemicals 1-2 times a week, depending on how much we're in it.

G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
I'm in TX, so the last thing I want is something hot.

I have a "cool pool" made from a 6' diameter galvanized water trough. I rubberized the inside with a rubber paint so the chlorine doesn't attack it. I glued rigid foam to the underside and insulated the outside with the reflective bubble wrap insulation, it then got clad with t&g cedar with stainless banding to hold it in place. Very decorative for a redneck pool!

It has an Intek cartridge pool filter, a submersible light (actually a 12v boat transom light that screws into a boat drain hole) and a wood fired heater made from a 1 1/4" coil of stainless steel tubing (about 25' of tubing). You start a fire in the center of the tubing and the "thermal siphon" principle circulates the water, drawing cold water in the bottom and warm water out the top. It can heat the pool about 6 degrees/hour. The idea isn't to make it warm like a hot tub, but a temp of 86- 96 seems to suit me just right for relaxing. I use it well into late October- early November each year. It even has a patio umbrella that I can raise and lower as needed.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Before too long, this will be my view from my hot tub. My beat up old body finds a hot tub session restorative.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
We've had a five foot diameter cedar tub, heated with a submerged wood stove, at our Maine camp for twelve years. We fill it from the lake with a gasoline powered pump and 150 feet of 2" hose. We use no chemicals or filter so change the water after two or three uses. It takes a lot of firewood to heat the lake water in January! I would definitely have a filter and would treat the water if not off grid. It is a hassle to fill the tub but is delightful to sit in it under a full moon with no one else within miles!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Had we gotten the hot tub first, 20 years ago, there would not be a hole in my yard and retirement plan. LOL.
We rarely use the pool these days.

We are on our second Hot Springs and the only reason we are on the second one is the floods in 2016 floated the other one off.

Solid product in our experience.

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
The Mrs wants one

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
They are definitely nice when the back is sore.
I would recommend a salt water model as it is less up keep chemical wise and is easier on the skin.

IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
Make sure the one you buy will circulate ALL the water. Otherwise, you'll have an algae problem. We had one years ago and had a problem with algae until I figured the problem out.

Nobody's right if everybody's wrong.
Getting into reloading to save money is like getting married for free sex.
W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Thanks for all the info.! Does anyone have experience with the inflatable kind such as the one made by Coleman?

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
No Coleman.....Bullfrog

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
C
I have the inflatable saluspa from Coleman, it's perfect for relaxing and being able to stretch out those sore muscles, being there is no predefined seat it aids in being able to stretch.
I use it daily after working on my house remodel.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
We had a pool in Texas, but on ranch here in Ok. No way could you have pool, way to much wind and dirt, so to satisfy wife, put in big hot tub, had to brace deck, have 220 ran under deck, it’s got to be 11 or 12 years old, I’ve seen 6 or 7 in it when kids come up, wish I could get in it right now, but only 6 weeks out on heart surgery, buy the best cover you can find and strap it tight.

S
saj Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Have a 3 person Hot Springs. I use it every day for my back and it helps . Don’t go to big covers are a pain on the bigger models and they cost more to run .

Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
I had one at my last house. Didn't bother moving it , ended up not using it nearly as much as I thought. Not much upkeep, keep it clean and covered . Chemicals aren't that expensive or just a bit of bleach works. Only really liked mine when it was cold outside. Raised the electric bill about 30-40 bucks a month

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
not sure about the inflatable ones but a standard one , at least in my area, required we put in a 50A GFCI breaker - we put it in a separate breaker box that fed into another breaker in the primary electrical box, which also means the high dollar wiring to hook it up.

We had one for years, enjoyed it in the fall and winter, but it became a pain in the ass. Eventually stopped using it, ended up dismantling it and throwing it away in pieces

Last edited by KFWA; 04/14/24.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Okay, I do appreciate all the good information. I have about decided on the Coleman 140 for $569.99 but am still leery about the maintenance and keeping it clean.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Some things to think about before you take the plunge. Yes, they are great for sore muscles, sore backs and general relaxation. Love ours.

However.

Think about where you put it and what will hold it up. Will it need reinforcing? Will it need to be levelled? If it is full sun then it will beat the hell out of your cover. Will you use it in winter if there is snow on the ground? Is it sheltered from wind?

How will you get power to it? If you have a 'plug and play' version which just hooks up to regular 120V, not much of an issue. If you are wiring 220V to it, you need to plan ahead as that power line is expensive and you may be needing an electrician.

What building codes will apply? Is there a separate one for hot tubs or do you have to comply with pool codes? Mandatory looking into beforehand.

Maintenance is generally adding chemicals or enzymes or salt, and changing filters. Each one has +/-/$.

We change water in our Jacuzzi 2 times a year, but we use it a lot, especially over winter. Spring and fall.

If you keep it for a number of years, things start to go. I've replaced one pump because of a leaking seal, and heaters twice now. Basic electrical/plumbing capabilities.

It takes a village to raise an idiot.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (10ring1, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 1234, 10gaugeman, 160user, 61 invisible), 2,028 guests, and 1,193 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,879
Posts18,479,058
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.