Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
O
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
O
Looking for a scope to put on my new rifle. I have a new Browning rifle. A Xbolt Hells Canyon Speed Long Range 280AI. With a 18 twist 26 inch barrel. Looking for a scope to shoot out to 500 to 600 yds on steel. Plus planning on going out to the northwest bear hunting next spring. One of my friend's has a Xbolt Speed 280AI 24 inch in 280AI. He has a Viper 4x16x44mm HS LR scope on his. Would that scope work for what I want too do? Never had any dealing with a Vortex. I want a exposed elevation turret. A capped windage turret. And a SFP scope for hunting. I have never messed with a FFP scope. I want a scope in the Range of low 3 or 4 up to 16 to 20 power. Going to order a pr of Sig rangefinder 2800. To use with the scope.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you go vortex I would recommend the 3-15 razor lht

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Nightforce SHV is what I would recommend. Also, in spite of the Leupold haters that appear on this site quite regularly, a new VX5HD is certainly worth a look

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Nightforce SHV is what I would recommend. Also, in spite of the Leupold haters that appear on this site quite regularly, a new VX5HD is certainly worth a look

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What other scopes do you have? If you are used to higher end glass, you will be disappointed in a Viper. There are some good options listed above and I would add the Zeiss V4 4-16x44 into the mix. It meets all your requirements and has a bunch of reticle options. I prefer ZMOAi30-#64 but ZBi #68 is another good one. I do not know if weight is a factor but compare the weights of scopes that you are considering. Some of them weigh a ton.

IC B2

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
[Also, in spite of the Leupold haters that appear on this site quite regularly, a new VX5HD is certainly worth a look[/quote]

And VX6HD. They check all the boxes.

I have a VX5HD 2-10.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

O
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
O
I have looked at a VX HD 5 3x15 44mm CDS. It was what I had planned on buying. But I came across the the issues people was having with them. Zeiss or even a Huskemaw scopes i have been looking at. Steiner is a nice scope. But the elevation has a capped turret. I want the elevation turret exposed.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I'd rather have an Arken epl 4-16, than half-dozen vipers.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Having owned Viper PST, HS & HST scopes in the past I would not recommend them to anyone. IMO the glass and tracking both sucked. The only Vortex worth a schidt is the Razor LHT and I'm not that big of a fan of it.

Anything Rupold is an easy pass too.

IC B3

O
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
O
I like the Zeiss v4 4x16x44mm. I like the Huskemaw 4x16x42mm blue diamond scope. But don't know much about it. I want a exposed elevation turret. And a capped windage turret. I want a SFP scope for hunting. Don't know much about the FFP scope. I would buy a Leupold VX5 3x15x44mm CDS scope. If I hadn't read about the issues with them.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by ozark_squirrel_hunter
I like the Zeiss v4 4x16x44mm. I like the Huskemaw 4x16x42mm blue diamond scope. But don't know much about it. I want a exposed elevation turret. And a capped windage turret. I want a SFP scope for hunting. Don't know much about the FFP scope. I would buy a Leupold VX5 3x15x44mm CDS scope. If I hadn't read about the issues with them.

IF you like the Zeiss, get it. Why the questions about it? I've had one, the glass was not as good as I would have liked. For the money, I'd rather have a NF SHV, but if you can live with the glass, the Zeiss isn't a bad scope. They track very well. The plastic piece they have under the turret, used for the zero stop, is cheap. I prefer the SHV way over the Zeiss: Better glass, better turrets, and about the same price. That's me though. If you like the Zeiss, get it..

As for the scope in the OP (Vortex 4-16x44 Viper): That's a hell no!

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

your first 2 options there are excellent!! either willl work great. I have both scopes except my husky is a 3-12. its my understanding that they use a titanium erector spring like nightforce does on the huskys. my husky has been awesome its been bounced around for thousands of miles in a jeep, in my truck, over ruff nevada roads. I think mine is 5 years old or so. I use the dial to reach out and take a longer shot every now and then, I have never had to readjust the zero on it, unless I changed cans the gun was zero'd for. it has seen about 2 weeks a year of hunting for 5 years. its one of my most trusted scopes now.

I have 3 zeiss v4's and my son has another, all of them have been great, with perfect tracking. I think the zeiss has a little better glass than the husky. for me it probably comes down to which one I can get the best deal on, which is probably zeiss unless I could get lucky and pick up a used husky.

the vipers, ahhh NO! I bought 2 gen 2 vipers and they both had right reticle travel when the scope was dialed up for elevation. don't know if they fixed that or not. I would love to check another one to see if they fixed that or not. but both new off the shelf samples did that. They are made in the phillipenes. the error was pretty small and very very few people would ever notice it. but still its not as good as other options.

Last edited by cumminscowboy; 04/15/24.
O
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
O
I got to look at a Trijicon tenmile 4x24x50mm. I like that scope. Only ever owned Leupold and nikons. So looking at different scopes is new to me.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I would buy a Leupold VX5 3x15x44mm CDS scope. If I hadn't read about the issues with them.

Sounds like your mind is made up, but I have had 3 of these for years and they work great. They have put lots of meat in the freezer and horns on the wall.

Also have 2 of the Vortex Razor LHT 3-15x42 scopes which came out some time after, and I personally think the feature sets of these two models make them the most versatile choices for the hunting I do.

YMMV.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I actually own and use 2 Vortex Viper 2.5-10x44 BDC scopes. I like them. Excellent hunting scope in my opinion. It is basically a set and forget type of scope with the BDC reticle being used for longer ranges. Glass is very good - on par with the 3-10x40 SHV that I had. The turrets have nice solid clicks and have not been an issue for me - but I set and forget, minimal cranking up and down - kind of the point of a BDC reticle. They are built very solid and no I have not needed the warrantee. For a sub $500 scope it's a great option.

I would not suggest the 4-16 model in SFP though. To get the BDC to work (without a lot of calculations) the scope needs to be on max power. 16X is a lot to deal with in field conditions. Difficult to hold still, dim view at dusk/dawn, just too much scope for quick action on a big game scope. Again, just my opinion after trying several. If you were talking Varmint hunting, then a different story.

IF you think that you will be cranking the turrets then I'd go with the SHV.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
O
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
O
The Zeiss v4 , Niteforce shv and Trijicon tenmile. All about the same quality? Never owned any of the 3. The one I buy I want it to track right.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had a pair of Viper 6.5x20s with some of the worst glass. The one with the dot reticle I've kept for SHORT range target stuff, the other went down the road.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (1lesfox, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 58 invisible), 2,514 guests, and 1,504 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,192
Posts18,484,986
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.