Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
N
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
N
Picked up my first Remarms 700 Wednesday. Dropped it off to be cut and threaded and had it back Friday. Shot it Saturday and immediately had problems. The fired brass did not want to come out. I was shooting older Remington factory ammo. My reloads didn’t want to chamber but I don’t use small base dies. So I broke out the Teslong bore scope.

[Linked Image]
I don’t know with what or how they dinged the breach face but they did.

[Linked Image]
Enough damage to the face it displaced metal in the mouth of the chamber.

[Linked Image]
The burrs damaged the brass and made extraction difficult to say the least.

I considered sending it back. And considered taking it to a smith but then decided to see what I could do on my own. A little YouTube for ideas and validation.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

$20 in supplies and a few minutes with a drill and I’m back in business. 400 to 600 grit sandpaper followed by 00 steel wool. Might could hit it a little more but it functions fine and isn’t marking the fired brass now.
[Linked Image]

I’m glad I had the bore scope to figure it all out and inspect my chamber polishing.

Not super happy with big green but it’s not the end of the world.

Can’t complain about the updated rate of twist. The new Timney trigger breaks clean but is heavier than I would prefer and doesn’t appear to be adjustable.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That’s too bad. Mr. Gunsngear just did a video on a new 870 that didn’t work properly, although with a mag extension, so it’s possible that was a factor. He didn’t test it box stock, on camera anyway.

What fresh Hell is this?
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
That’s interesting. Have two friends with three RemArms M700’s, two are ADL matte/synthetic, one a SPS stainless with the 5r, all three in 308.

They say the rifles are shooting great, the 5r has shot every bullet very well, and the throats are a lot shorter than the old Remington M700’s were.

What is yours chambered in and is it the ADL matte/synthetic?

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
That’s interesting. Have two friends with three RemArms M700’s, two are ADL matte/synthetic, one a SPS stainless with the 5r, all three in 308.

They say the rifles are shooting great, the 5r has shot every bullet very well, and the throats are a lot shorter than the old Remington M700’s were.

Pics show a stainless rifle.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
N
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
N
It is a BDL stainless synthetic in 223 with 1:8 twist. Shot it again some today and it’s looking like a 1” gun but that’s with FMJ ammo. Hopefully will be a solid 1” or better gun with hand loads.
Now that the chamber is fixed I’m satisfied.

IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by nimrod1949
It is a BDL stainless synthetic in 223 with 1:8 twist. Shot it again some today and it’s looking like a 1” gun but that’s with FMJ ammo. Hopefully will be a solid 1” or better gun with hand loads.

I have a 700 LTR in 223.that shoots very small clusters with handloads. I've shot fmj ammo through it that did well to stay under 2 moa. A lot of that stuff on the market is good for making noise when AR guys get mag dump jollies, but that's about it.

Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

I was going to pick up a RemArms 700 .243 with the 1:8 twist this week, but I found a new Tikka T3x Lite for $605 so I bought it. I see they now offer a 7 PRC in the CDL, so maybe I’m the future I’ll try that.

N
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by nimrod1949

I have a 700 LTR in 223.that shoots very small clusters with handloads. I've shot fmj ammo through it that did well to stay under 2 moa. A lot of that stuff on the market is good for making noise when AR guys get mag dump jollies, but that's about it.

True.

[Linked Image]
It likes my 50 grain vmax loads.

[Linked Image]
Not so much the 75 HPBT load for the AR.

I’ll have to load some non Ackley Improved rounds with 75 grain amax and see how it works.

Low sample sizes but it wasn’t a great day for range work.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That's a LOT of vertical stringing. Hint.

The Reupold and LW's(likely assembled incorrectly to boot) are doing you NO favors. Hint.

Kiss,find pressure and rock on. Hint.

Just sayin'..............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
N
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by Big Stick
That's a LOT of vertical stringing. Hint.

The Reupold and LW's(likely assembled incorrectly to boot) are doing you NO favors. Hint.

Kiss,find pressure and rock on. Hint.

Just sayin'..............

[Linked Image]

Peer pressure…

Swapped scopes, added a Midwest industries rail, and Burris rings. Groups are a little more round. Need to find some time to load specifically for this one.

IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Good work on the fix. I've thought about doing something similar on my rifles that develop clickers after a brass us loaded a few times. I've I could polish just a few thousandths off the back of the chambers it should give my brass a little room to grow. I wonder how much sanding I'd have to do? Makes me little nervous because some are my better shooting rifles that I don't want to mess up.

Bb

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
Good work on the fix. I've thought about doing something similar on my rifles that develop clickers after a brass us loaded a few times. I've I could polish just a few thousandths off the back of the chambers it should give my brass a little room to grow. I wonder how much sanding I'd have to do? Makes me little nervous because some are my better shooting rifles that I don't want to mess up.

Bb

Someone on here mentioned doing this and that it worked and, I think, just how much/high they removed. One of the 6.5 or 7PRC threads a while back. Forget who it was.

"One should not talk to a skilled hunter about what is forbidden by the Buddha."

- Hsiang-yen by way of Gary Snyder

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 1234, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 59 invisible), 2,605 guests, and 1,236 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,063
Posts18,482,462
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.