Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I have a GP-100 4” which is not nearly as classy or cool as an S&W or Colt but my other .357, a Winchester 1892 makes up for whatever cool points the Ruger loses.

I love that carbine. It belonged to my great grandfather!

Attached Images
IMG_4779.jpeg (21.43 KB, 290 downloads)
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by local_dirt
In case anyone's interested, all this talk of
.357's made me go out haunting the local pawn and gun shops.

At La Familia in Hollywood, FL, a local pawn shop that bought the gun shop where I used to do a lot of horse trading, they had a 19-4 in very good condition. 4", blued. Barely a turn line. Recessed cylinder and pinned barrel. $799 on the price tag. They are a pretty good size pawn shop chain out of Orlando. Several shops. I'm sure somebody could make a nice deal on that gun. And before anybody asks why I didn't buy it, I've probably got 14 or 15 .357's. I don't really need another one.

Forgot to mention. They also had a Winchester 94, carbine length, in .45 Colt. Like brandy new except for a couple small scratches on the buttstock. Metal was perfect. Tag on it said $999.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Go find a Jew hater thread. That's more your style.
Oy vey.

[Linked Image from y.yarn.co]

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Not dead just on sale.

Picked up a stainless 6.5" New Model Blackhawk for 400 last weekend. Good shape made in 1979. Goes nicely with my three screw from 71 and two screw from 73 (both blued).

My 73 has a SN lower than the new model blackhawk serial number list.

It isn't energy that kills, its holes.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by RMiller2
Not dead just on sale.

Picked up a stainless 6.5" New Model Blackhawk for 400 last weekend. Good shape made in 1979. Goes nicely with my three screw from 71 and two screw from 73 (both blued).

My 73 has a SN lower than the new model blackhawk serial number list.
Another gun I wish I never sold (long list), my stainless, four and five-eighths inch, Blackhawk in .357 Magnum. Bought it in the 1980s. Should have kept it. Cool gun.

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Having had a few .357's filter through my fingers, the one I regret the most was one I didn't actually buy. It was an early-1960's vintage Colt Trooper that my uncle bought new and proceeded to hammer the piss out of for the next 40 years. It was also the first centerfire revolver I ever fired as a young teenager. Fast forward to his estate sale and there it was on the table with his other well worn hunting guns. I passed on it at $300 as its finish was worn completely off, timing was almost nonexistent, end shake out the ass, lockup a sometimes thing, and the bore worn half smooth from untold gazillions of shots- all maximum loads of course, but just as likely from zealous use of cleaning rods. I took my cousin aside and asked him whyinhell he was selling his Old Man's Trooper and he just rolled his eyes and said as much lead spit out the sides as what went up the spout, and that a local pistolsmith quoted about twice as much more than the cost of a new S&W .357 to make it right, so away it goes. I pondered buying that thing, as much for nostalgia reasons as any, but in the end I walked away from it. The regret settled in on my drive home.....

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Having had a few .357's filter through my fingers, the one I regret the most was one I didn't actually buy. It was an early-1960's vintage Colt Trooper that my uncle bought new and proceeded to hammer the piss out of for the next 40 years. It was also the first centerfire revolver I ever fired as a young teenager. Fast forward to his estate sale and there it was on the table with his other well worn hunting guns. I passed on it at $300 as its finish was worn completely off, timing was almost nonexistent, end shake out the ass, lockup a sometimes thing, and the bore worn half smooth from untold gazillions of shots- all maximum loads of course, but just as likely from zealous use of cleaning rods. I took my cousin aside and asked him whyinhell he was selling his Old Man's Trooper and he just rolled his eyes and said as much lead spit out the sides as what went up the spout, and that a local pistolsmith quoted about twice as much more than the cost of a new S&W .357 to make it right, so away it goes. I pondered buying that thing, as much for nostalgia reasons as any, but in the end I walked away from it. The regret settled in on my drive home.....

Amusing anecdote re: that gun and my uncle. 50 years ago I witnessed him blast a red-tailed hawk out of a tall tree top with it, after pulling to the side of the road and jumping out while muttering about "godda**ed hawks". He wasn't one to make fine distinctions about game conservation and protected species.....

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
I would have passed on that, too.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Dead? LOL
No, still one of the best defensive rounds anywhere

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by hikerbum
Dead? LOL
Apart from blast and flash, it's likely the best defensive round. Shooting it in the dark can blind the shooter, and shooting it inside a small enclosed space can deafen the shooter. The only drawbacks.

IC B3

B
BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Dead? LOL

Especially in the “high capacity” N Frame 8 shot

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by BMT
Dead? LOL

Those are pretty cool, particularly the scandium/titanium versions. I wish, however, they didn't only offer it in a snubby. A three or four inch barrel version would be great. Also, I wish they offered it without the Hillary Hole.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by BMT
Dead? LOL

Those are pretty cool, particularly the scandium/titanium versions. I wish, however, they didn't only offer it in a snubby. A three or four inch barrel version would be great. Also, I wish they offered it without the Hillary Hole.

They have offered a 4-inch Scandium 8-shot N-frame for years, although they unfortunately do have the lock and are not cheap.
https://www.smith-wesson.com/product/performance-center-model-327-trr8
https://www.smith-wesson.com/product/performance-center-model-m-p-r8

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Jcon72
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by BMT
Dead? LOL

They have offered a 4-inch Scandium 8-shot N-frame for years, although they unfortunately do have the lock and are not cheap.
https://www.smith-wesson.com/product/performance-center-model-327-trr8
https://www.smith-wesson.com/product/performance-center-model-m-p-r8
Oh yeah. Hickok45 did a review of that a few years ago. Forgot.

B
BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
The 8-shot N frames are great.

I have the pro series with chamfered charging holes and moon clips.

https://www.smith-wesson.com/product/n-frame-178014

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by BMT

BMT
Nice. Of course, their illustrations never show the left side of their revolvers.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BMT

BMT

The Hillary Hole lives on. While unnerving to see, it is at worst appropriate for its namesake. What a legacy and what a shame.

Great revolver. But, notice how S&W does not include a photo of the left side of the gun.

Last edited by local_dirt; 04/22/24.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
B
BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I’ve heard this line of reasoning before

I have shot out 44 mag mountain gun (thousands of rounds and two classes at ThunderRanch) with no issues.

The current 627 works flawlessly.

BMT

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Have a 28 highway patrolman 4” barrel and just picked up a ruger security six 4”. Both shoot great, but i gotta start shooting them more.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Having shot the hideous Rhino revolver, I kind of want one. The recoil impulse is so different.

They are hard to find in stores. I think because they use them all in the movies (si-fi).

Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (12344mag, 1234, 10ring1, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 60 invisible), 2,914 guests, and 1,181 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,796
Posts18,477,396
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.